The Student Room Group

Stop doing terrible degrees!

Scroll to see replies

I dont care what degrees people do, as long as they dont complain about terrible pay.

For all I care someone could have a masters in cooking Butterflies.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
B-b-but muh transferable skills....

At least it means less competition in the job market. I wouldn't care at all, but we do have to pay off their debt so...
Reply 62
Original post by Trapz99
History and English (especially at RG unis) are two competitive courses to get into and are respected by employers. 70% of graduate jobs don't require or prefer a specific degree- there are plenty of history and English grads in top jobs like law, accounting, research, banking, politics etc...

It's just that some history and English grads aren't focused enough on securing a good graduate job and dont build up good work experience and extra curricular activities and therefore aren't as employable. Engineering and medicine are exceptions to the whole thing because they are vocational degrees which are designed to prepare you for a specific career.

I think all degrees are relevant however yes some are stronger and preferred(can be applied to more than one role) but I disagree that STEM subjects are vocational,especially engineering. I know many people with engineering degrees that have gone into finance,accounting,banking,architecture,building,teaching (math,physics etc.) and other fields
Original post by pizzanomics
Not at all, although you might be better off doing a different (but somewhat relevant) degree then doing a PGCE.

Would it make much difference? Surely it'd be fine as long as I earn the QTS whilst doing the primary education degree?
Original post by TSRPAV
I think all degrees are relevant however yes some are stronger and preferred(can be applied to more than one role) but I disagree that STEM subjects are vocational,especially engineering. I know many people with engineering degrees that have gone into finance,accounting,banking,architecture,building,teaching (math,physics etc.) and other fields

Just because engineering grads move into other fields doesn't mean it isn't vocational. An engineering degree is a prerequisite to becoming an engineer - that is what vocational means.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by YeSand
What an ignorant and racist comment. I guess your brain is under-developed to make such assumptions. :smile:

Which bit isn't true?
As someone who graduated in a STEM field I completely reject this. We live in a time when you can get away with doing whatever you want so long as you have enough passion and you're willing to work so why waste your life doing something you hate? I could wake up tomorrow and see on the news that mathematics is not needed since A.I. now deals with all that, I wouldn't care because I did what I wanted to do.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Would it make much difference? Surely it'd be fine as long as I earn the QTS whilst doing the primary education degree?

From what I've seen a PGCE is respected a little bit more, plus it doesn't close off other options if you decide during the degree that teaching isn't for you, or if you want to move on from teaching later on in life. Your original choice isn't 'bad' at all though.
Original post by jake4198
Hi,

I know my making this post is going to raise a lot of anger, especially among the new-age mob who say passion and determination are the only factors levying success, but sadly I have seen a lot of posts giving students terrible advice regarding their academic future by telling them a degree in a non-vocational and non-traditional subject will have little impact on their future job prospects. Put simply, it is morally indefensible to advice young people that a degree in some bizarre liberal arts discipline is a good use of their one-off student loan; employers nowadays have an abundance of graduates whom to choose from and being disadvantaged in one aspect of your personal profile because you were fed misinformation by your peers will lead many young graduates fighting it out for low-paid employment.

Of course there will be people who will tell you how they've become a millionaire with their English degree from London Met, but we also need to have a sense of perspective. Do not go to university if you are not sure what you want to do with the rest of your life. University is expensive. And is £50,000 of student debt a burden you want to carry when you don't even have an end-plan in mind? There are a lot of graduate opportunities available for students who graduate from any university with a 2:1, but if you don't possess much added-experience alongside your academic qualifications, then the subject discipline holds a lot relevance. My Area Manager, who is a young graduate, told me that he was informed during his application process that students with "weak degrees in weak subjects" are ignored during selection. He said the degree that you choose to study at university says a lot about you as a person and the level of work ethic you acquire as well. Spending time in industry and developing proper work experience is a much better and more efficient use of time for those who don't know what they want to do than going to university, as work experience is paramount for employers and the on-the-work pay is an added bonus as well.

Here's an excellent video I'd advice you all to watch:

[video="youtube;CVEuPmVAb8o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o[/video]

Remember, just because you're "passionate about something, it doesn't mean you're good at it".

Not to go all ad-hominem on you, but a degree in Chinese from Leeds is as good as any liberal arts degree you condemn so much..
Reply 69
Original post by AperfectBalance
Shut up. women's studies and modern feminism are a great choice. when I leave I am going to become a Internet blogger and earn £100's a year

Ever studied Women's Studies?

Know what it entails?

Know the type of work WMST go on to do?

No?

I ask because people mock WMST, while having no actual basis for their claims - experiential, experimental, or otherwise.

Oh, and to pre-empt the predictable retort: double-majored in History and WMST, studying Law. WMSTwas not only demanding but enlughtenong.
Original post by jake4198
Good
- Engineering
- Medicine
- Dentistry
- Veterinary Science
- Mathematics
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Economics
- Accounting
- Nursing
- Computer Science
- Law

Bad
- English
- History
- Gender Studies
- Media Studies
- Cultural Studies
- Biology
- Sociology
- Psychology
- Languages
- Theology
- Sport Science
- Business
- Design

Languages are considered bad degrees? Why so?
I've always found it funny how people love to get into other people's business but never worry about themselves. Why do you care if someone wants to get an English degree. Like, STFU....
Original post by george_c00per
Languages are considered bad degrees? Why so?

How is Biology a bad degree....
Lol I feel like I'm studying one of these 'useless' degrees as I'm going to start studying linguistics this year. Tbh no degree is useless just bc it doesn't lead straight to a job. Many people just apply to degrees like medicine and engineering bc they pay well and end up realising they have no passion for the subject. There are many degrees that people take as kind of a base, after they finish they may be clearer about what their interests are and they can build from there. I'm taking linguistics for example and I have a slight idea of what I want to do. I'm quite interested in speech therapy but I don't want to commit to the 4 year degree bc it might not be something I want to do. By doing a linguistics degree I can figure out what my exact interests are, take on some work experience in the field and If I enjoy it become one by taking a MSc or if I don't enjoy it do something else.
Original post by ActuallyIDo

That is true also, his list is so flawed and one sided it's laughable :biggrin:
Original post by tanyapotter
Not to go all ad-hominem on you, but a degree in Chinese from Leeds is as good as any liberal arts degree you condemn so much..

I'm not doing a Chinese degree. My official offer from Leeds is to do a degree in Economics and Russian. The only reason I mentioned Chinese is at the time I was considering changing the Russian component for Chinese. Even so, the ability - as a westerner - to speak fluent Chinese is one of the most desirable skills in modern business.

Even so, I'm deferring my offer at university because I've been offered the opportunity to make my way up the ranks in retail. I've been working at ALDI through my A levels and now I've been offered a place in management. If I need a degree to advance my career I'm sure I'll get one when and where it's necessary.
Original post by Assan
Ever studied Women's Studies?

Know what it entails?

Know the type of work WMST go on to do?

No?

I ask because people mock WMST, while having no actual basis for their claims - experiential, experimental, or otherwise.

Oh, and to pre-empt the predictable retort: double-majored in History and WMST, studying Law. WMSTwas not only demanding but enlughtenong.

13900376_1301759353167510_3432975110652190713_n.jpg
Original post by ActuallyIDo

I guess it's be they don't lead to a job straight away. For example with medicine you know that the student wants to end up as a doctor. His list is stupid and incredibly closed minded. Just be a language or biology doesn't lead to a specific job doesn't mean they're useless.
Reply 78
So you mean you don't know?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
I guess it's be they don't lead to a job straight away. For example with medicine you know that the student wants to end up as a doctor. His list is stupid and incredibly closed minded. Just be a language or biology doesn't lead to a specific job doesn't mean they're useless.

....okay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending