The Student Room Group

How important is university prestige?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Paraphilos
If you're including mathematics in the science bracket then you are mistaken. Warwick is home to a recent fields medallist (2014): that's the type of influence they have. Further, having studied there for three years and being educated by several fellows of the royal society myself I don't think there's any way you can discount their prestige in mathematical circles. It's simply formidable (granted I don't expect those on the outside to know that but it's a point I'd like to make).

One Fields medal doesn't justify a university having an excellent science department. Manchester uni has multiple Nobel prizes in science yet they're never in the conversation for some reason when talking about science courses. Additionally, literally all professors at other institutions are fellows of the society of their profession so that isn't really a valid differentiator either.

I never said Warwick was bad, I just said it was below the universities it is supposedly in the same tier in.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1952305
Original post by Trapz99
Oh wow, that was unexpected

Granted, there are courses at UCL that let you in with ABB, but they're rather niche and rare.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Granted, there are courses at UCL that let you in with ABB, but they're rather niche and rare.

Same goes for warwick
Original post by Trapz99
Same goes for warwick

Oh come on, Biology isn't niche. I was referring to courses like Japanese Studies or Education.
Oxbridge>lse/imperial/UCL> warwick. If warwick was a human it would be a whore...they literally accepted every single person at my school, like wtf? Some had Cs and Ds in GCSEs
Lets be real. Outside of Oxbridge, and maybe Imperial and LSE, it becomes very subject specific. No one gives a **** about the differences between the RGs, St.Andrews, Bath, Loughborough, Lancaster. It comes down to industry links and which uni has the connections that can make your degree work.
Original post by Wisefire
Thoughts on the prestige of a Business and/or Management degree from Manchester, Durham, UCL, Warwick or KCL? The order of those five universities listed is descending in the likelihood I give of getting offers and getting into these choices I shall be applying for later this year, the fifth university, KCL, being least likely.

Typically UCL and Durham are much more selective than Warwick and KCL.
Original post by Kurosaki_Ichi
It really doesnt matter where you study, a unis rep will just give someone an idea of your standards which might not even be accurate. People fail at top unis as well as the bottom ones. And a top uni doesn't automatically grant you a top career. They can even act as a burden.

Uni rep will only give you a slight edge for the competitive careers, you know Medicine, Law....but then again if your grades and work exp aren't up to scratch then it won't matter. You'll get destroyed by everyone else, regardless of where they studied.

All you need is a top degree and work exp...tbh its more about who you know and how hard you will work. Yes, a unis rep is a nice thing to have, but that alone isn't enough.

Oh and people are seriously arguing over the uni groupings??? Really???

Comments like these are a joke.

People who got into the top unis worked harder at school, got better grades, and had better applications. These kinds of people will have the same work exp or better than people at worse unis.

No one is saying that all you need is a unis rep, obviously you need to work hard no matter where you study. A hard worker at Oxford, Cambridge, or LSE is most likely gonna be more successful than a hard worker at London Met.

It matters a lot where you study, for example, every single Prime Minister since 1937 who went to university went to Oxford.
Original post by Trapz99
Warwick doesn't let you on with abb though

Dude Warwick gives offers to almost all applicants for every course (except Medicine).
Where does Manchester stand in terms of prestige (if at all)?
Original post by Mojo Banjo
It defines what kind of job you get, what kind of friends you make and generally how successful you're gonna be in life.

What a load of utter *******s.

While your first job might seem important to you now, it doesn't matter that much in the bigger picture of your career. How you perform, how you sell it, what you learn, who people you win over as mentors, how you network etc. matters so much more.

Also, who you make friends with in university is extremely overrated. Very few friendships will survive the year after graduating, and even fewer will help you in your career later on. I graduated 8 years ago from my Bachelors and 5 years from my Masters and am still in touch with maybe three people from both courses combined.

See, I did my most recent degree at one of the worst-ranked universities in the UK with absolutely no prestige. But I picked the right course, with the right units, the right course director, and I kicked ass at it. My Bachelor's, my previous work experience and some other factors might have helped, but I am already more successful now than you -and some Oxbridge graduates- will ever be.

University 'prestige' is a moderately effective crutch people need who don't have much else going for them.
Original post by anonwinner

People who got into the top unis worked harder at school, got better grades, and had better applications. These kinds of people will have the same work exp or better than people at worse unis.

No one is saying that all you need is a unis rep, obviously you need to work hard no matter where you study. A hard worker at Oxford, Cambridge, or LSE is most likely gonna be more successful than a hard worker at London Met.

It matters a lot where you study, for example, every single Prime Minister since 1937 who went to university went to Oxford.

Erm...some of my comment was a response to what the OP said. But anyway...

Just because London Met isn't a top uni, doesnt mean all the students there haven't got an opportunity to have a successful career. You don't just get hard workers at the top unis.

Also, people at the lower unis might also have good grades. People choose where they want to study and thats how it works. And who on earth said that these top uni people have the best applications. These are all assumptions, or rather, things you would expect from a top uni student. But its not always accurate.

Do you seriously think a top uni means:

You're set for life
You will write the best application
Get the most work exp
Earn the most money
You will be the hardest worker.

Because those things up there are not what uni does for you. That depends all on the person. The only thing uni does is support you, gives you its facillities to borrow and provides you with employment links...and as i said in my last comment, its more about who you know than uni rep.

Every single Prime Minister had someone in the know. Thats how you get there, links links links. Didn't they also attend the same type of schools, Eton then Oxbridge more or less.

And how hard is it to get into Oxbridge?
Original post by Mojo Banjo
So we've just had some important rankings released but tbh no one cares. It's all based on crap like library funding.

University prestige:

Oxford
Cambridge
--------------------
Warwick
LSE
UCL
Imperial
Durham
----------------
St Andrews
Edinburgh
----------------
RG
----------------
Others

To me university prestige is everything. It's even more important than course (apart from very vocational subjects like medicine and dentistry)

It defines what kind of job you get, what kind of friends you make and generally how successful you're gonna be in life.

ayyy shoutout to my warwick boiss up in dis bishh

Just because London Met isn't a top uni, doesnt mean all the students there haven't got an opportunity to have a successful career. You don't just get hard workers at the top unis.

Also, people at the lower unis might also have good grades. People choose where they want to study and thats how it works. And who on earth said that these top uni people have the best applications. These are all assumptions, or rather, things you would expect from a top uni student. But its not always accurate.

You're set for life
Get the most work exp
Earn the most money

Because those things up there are not what uni does for you. That depends all on the person. The only thing uni does is support you, gives you its facillities to borrow and provides you with employment links...and as i said in my last comment, its more about who you know than uni rep.

Every single Prime Minister had someone in the know. Thats how you get there, links links links. Didn't they also attend the same type of schools, Eton then Oxbridge more or less.

- people at the lower unis might also have good grades.

We're talking about averages... On average, people at the top unis will obviously have much higher grades than people at the bottom unis.

- These are all assumptions, or rather, things you would expect from a top uni student. But its not always accurate.

Again, we're talking about AVERAGES. Indeed, these are assumptions, but it's very safe to assume that people at the top unis will have better grades and better applications than people at worse unis. In fact you can look on unistats and see the average UCAS points of students on each course at each uni.

- Do you seriously think a top uni means:

You're set for life - As I've already said, no, obviously not.

You will write the best application - Yes, people at better unis will obviously have better applications on average.

Get the most work exp - Yes, not only is it easier to get good work experience if you're at a better uni, but students at the top unis will likely be more ambitious and proactive.

Earn the most money - Obviously yes, you can look at the average graduate salaries. I think LSE is top followed by Oxbridge and Imperial.

You will be the hardest worker. - Yes, getting good A Levels requires hard work.

- And how hard is it to get into Oxbridge?

Harder than ever.

You're set for life
Get the most work exp
Earn the most money

People at top UNIX are more hardworking on average because it takes more hard work to get into top unis than average ones.
prestige doesnt come from nowhere, its because those unis have built up a reputation for years for high quality, well skilled and successful graduates. of course it then goes that what uni you go to will have a massive effect on your future because if someone sees the uni of oxford as opposed to lancaster, theyll obviously go for the oxford graduate all other considerations being the same. anyone that thinks prestige has no importance is either delusional or just goes to a bad uni

Do you believe Gordon Brown went to Och Aye the New College?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's actually since 2010. Gordon Brown went to Edinburgh and hence broke the cycle.
- people at the lower unis might also have good grades.

We're talking about averages... On average, people at the top unis will obviously have much higher grades than people at the bottom unis.

- These are all assumptions, or rather, things you would expect from a top uni student. But its not always accurate.

Again, we're talking about AVERAGES. Indeed, these are assumptions, but it's very safe to assume that people at the top unis will have better grades and better applications than people at worse unis. In fact you can look on unistats and see the average UCAS points of students on each course at each uni.

- Do you seriously think a top uni means:

You're set for life - As I've already said, no, obviously not.

You will write the best application - Yes, people at better unis will obviously have better applications on average.

Get the most work exp - Yes, not only is it easier to get good work experience if you're at a better uni, but students at the top unis will likely be more ambitious and proactive.

Earn the most money - Obviously yes, you can look at the average graduate salaries. I think LSE is top followed by Oxbridge and Imperial.

You will be the hardest worker. - Yes, getting good A Levels requires hard work.

- And how hard is it to get into Oxbridge?

Harder than ever.

That CompSci grad salary at Imperial is the highest of all courses at all unis in the UK, interestingly enough
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
That CompSci grad salary at Imperial is the highest of all courses at all unis in the UK, interestingly enough

That's because Imperial CS grads seem to go into the big name tech cos more than any other uni I've seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending