The Student Room Group

Do you have a proper career plan?

Do you know what you're aiming for as a career after uni and how you want to progress in your career?
Or do you want to wait and see where life will take you in the future?

Personally I'm more of the latter: although I am focused towards the accounting/financial services career, I am not the type of guy who's made a big career plan and who thinks "right, I'm going to do this, this and this and then hopefully I'll be able to move into this job after a few years of experience and I'll be earning this amount as a salary." Although I know some friends who literally dream about their careers and what they'll do- I think that's pretty sad but then again they probably think me not knowing is more sad looools

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, I've got a plan but I would change it if the right opportunity came along.

I want to progress in the aviation industry and try as many roles as I can (I worked in dispatch for a few months and absolutely loved it until they chucked me out so I'm desperate to get back into that for a few years) and build a killer aviation CV until I can start applying for managerial roles and from there, progress to an aviation operations leading role, not sure what i would enjoy tbh, but there'll be something, something like managing a charter airline's fleet and choosing which aircraft go to which airport at what time for how many passengers.. i would love that. If I can afford it, maybe even do training courses for air traffic control/pilots and see how far I can get with that. From working in the baggage halls carrying bags all day (which is what i do atm) to going out and buying a new Boeing 777 for the fleet. Heck yes.

But, I'd enjoy many other industries as well, and if i was offered the chance to try something a little different, I would take the chance while I had it... Working in the automotive industry, or the travel industry, maybe even teaching aviation in college... My dream would be to work in the music industry but since I'm only qualified in aviation I can't see it happening.
I know 💖
I'm going to do paramedic science at uni and then become a ambulance paramedic and after 7 years I'm going to apply to be an air ambulance paramedic. But only God knows how things will pan out 👍🏼
Original post by fayeztheman
Do you know what you're aiming for as a career after uni and how you want to progress in your career?

Personally I'm more of the latter: although I am focused towards the accounting/financial services career, I am not the type of guy who's made a big career plan and who thinks "right, I'm going to do this, this and this and then hopefully I'll be able to move into this job after a few years of experience and I'll be earning this amount as a salary." Although I know some friends who literally dream about their careers and what they'll do- I think that's pretty sad but then again they probably think me not knowing is more sad looools

lol I don't even know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow #mylifeinanutshell
McJob cos AS levels went down the drain

Spoiler

I'm focusing on the healthcare sector.

I know some friends who literally dream about their careers and what they'll do- I think that's pretty sad

Why do you think this?
Reply 6
Original post by honour
I'm focusing on the healthcare sector.

Why do you think this?

It just seems sad to dream about the future and careers when you should be living the moment.
Reply 7
I want to be an Investment banker and i've got a career plan. Good to start early.
It just seems sad to dream about the future and careers when you should be living the moment.

Maybe their life right now is boring so they start dreaming about their future, planning their career, salary and all that, because they need something to look forward to.
I want to be a Radiographer (preferably diagnostic but I don't mind therapeutic either). Ideally after a while of being qualified I want to be a Radiologist. Originally I wanted to be an Optometrist but realised it wasn't for me.
Original post by honour
Maybe their life right now is boring so they start dreaming about their future, planning their career, salary and all that, because they need something to look forward to.

or maybe its because people want to know where they are going and how to get there, which makes it easier.

Just like how you plan most things before you write
Plus, it sometimes help you to not make mistakes like picking the wrong degree or subject etc. Planning for the future is only beneficial
I'm 24 with an MSc and I'm still clueless. Just seeing where things take me.
There are perks to both approaches. Mine is perhaps that it is very flexible, and the former is that you are more able to fulfill prerequisites and foresee issues that may arise; though the latter may make it more difficult to deal with issues if they do arise unexpectedly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AdeptDz
or maybe its because people want to know where they are going and how to get there, which makes it easier.

Just like how you plan most things before you write

Yes, we all think before taking action. But who would plan so far ahead and about such specific things, e.g. how much salary they're going earn? Dreamers, of course. It's likely that everything will change by the time they actually get to that stage.

Yeah.

My career plan/report is ~25-30 pages long, including notes from networking sessions, day in the life accounts, career paths, back up/contingency plans, compensation information, tips/advice for applying and interviewing, job profiles, exit opps, key firms/employers etc.. Covers a few career paths in depth and I've been building it up since I was 14-15.

I've been pretty set on my career options for ages now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Yeah.

My career plan/report is ~25-30 pages long, including notes from networking sessions, day in the life accounts, career paths, back up/contingency plans, compensation information, tips/advice for applying and interviewing, job profiles, exit opps, key firms/employers etc.. Covers a few career paths in depth and I've been building it up since I was 14-15.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, please share that report lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm planning to do primary education in uni so I can become a primary school teacher. For the first few years I'll teach then I want to take on further responsibilities and roles such as SENCo (special educational needs coordinator)
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Wow, please share that report lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, it's too personal

EDIT: although, once I'm in uni and on my career track maybe...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Princepieman
Yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A man with a plan.
Well I have an idea of what careers appeal to me. Trading at a bank (preferably in derivatives products) has been the dream for a while. My plan is to try to get into a targeted uni, keep doing extracurriculars, continue to network with traders at career events and on LinkedIn to gain more knowledge of the trading world and apply to spring week internships which I'll hopefully convert into a summer internship and then a graduate scheme position.

However, I'm still not completely set on the trading career but I'm pretty much set on working in the banking/financial services industry. I'm also considering the actuarial field which is what I originally planned to do before I found out about S&T.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending