The Student Room Group

Losing weight without bulking up or getting big muscles (for men)

Hi

I'm in my twenties and male. I want to lose weight (particularly around my stomach) without bulking up or getting big muscles. To do this I've been using a cross-trainer but I feel like it's making me bigger.

Could someone recommend me other exercises so I can lose the weight without getting bigger? Obviously i need to eat a bit less but if I can exercise to help it along that'd be good. Everything I've seen on the internet about this has been aimed at women so I don't know what to do for men. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Why don't you want muscles?

But in answer to your question, all you have to do is eat less.
You cnat spot reduce. Weight comes off wherever it comes off.

Muscle is very hard to put on.
You arent going to do so without lifting weights.
Nor whilst losing weights.

Why wouldnt you wnat muscle it looks better and is more compact. Also more useful.
If you dont lift weights then you will lose weight and end up being skinny fat if thats what you want, just a smaller version of yourself as now. You cna just do cardio and most importnatly eat less.

If you wnat a better shape or to increase fat loss, then lift weights, just go for reptition more than weight.
Reply 3
Original post by TenthBelt1993
Why don't you want muscles?

But in answer to your question, all you have to do is eat less.

I don't want to get to bigger, don't wanna look like a bodybuilder. Just my taste.
Reply 4
Original post by ThisIsMe2015
Hi

I'm in my twenties and male. I want to lose weight (particularly around my stomach) without bulking up or getting big muscles. To do this I've been using a cross-trainer but I feel like it's making me bigger.

Could someone recommend me other exercises so I can lose the weight without getting bigger? Obviously i need to eat a bit less but if I can exercise to help it along that'd be good. Everything I've seen on the internet about this has been aimed at women so I don't know what to do for men. Thanks.
Get up early and eat a small breakfast to fire up your metabolism. Walk as much as you can. Eat little and often.
HIIT and weight lifting is a good way to loose weight, you will be burning extra calories for days after without lifting a finger. I don't know why you are scared to put on a little muscle, you will amazing.

Just remember diet is the most important thing here, not exercise.
I don't want to get to bigger, don't wanna look like a bodybuilder. Just my taste.

Could you post a picture of your ideal physique?
Reply 7
Original post by TenthBelt1993
Could you post a picture of your ideal physique?

Please see the attachment. Either of those two guys would be good.
Reply 8
Oh and thanks everyone for the replies!
You won't get big by accident. If getting big was easy you'd see people the size of arnie left right and centre.

The cross trainer won't make you bigger.
Reply 10
@ThisIsMe2015 I find Pilates good for keeping toned in shape - rather than getting bulky
Hi

Btw the cross trainer really isnt making you bigger.

If you wnat to lose weight then you need to focus on how much you eat, first.

How much do you weigh and how tall are you?
You're not going to get big whilst losing weight, it's literally a non-issue. You're also not going to gain muscle without heavy resistance exercise - the cross-trainer couldn't be further from heavy resistance exercise, so you will gain no muscle from this.
Op makes it seem he can gain muscle but just looking at weights , it's tough , really tough to gain muscle.
Original post by Tootles
Get up early and eat a small breakfast to fire up your metabolism. Walk as much as you can. Eat little and often.

Lol no

Original post by illusionz
You won't get big by accident. If getting big was easy you'd see people the size of arnie left right and centre.

The cross trainer won't make you bigger.

This
Original post by WoodyMKC
You're not going to get big whilst losing weight, it's literally a non-issue. You're also not going to gain muscle without heavy resistance exercise - the cross-trainer couldn't be further from heavy resistance exercise, so you will gain no muscle from this.

and this
Hi

You can't spot reduce weight. Do more cardio & stomach exercises but you'll lose weight doing just tgis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Lol no
Well it's worked for me all my life, clever Dick :rolleyes:
Original post by Tootles
Well it's worked for me all my life, clever Dick :rolleyes:

It's got nothing to do with metabolism boosting and everything to do with calorie intake. Nice adhom to escape the filter btw :smile:

You make it seem like lifting for less than 1 year is going to make you look
like Ronnie. :rofl:

Please see the attachment. Either of those two guys would be good.

Achieving that physique is a joke of a challenge in the bigger picture tbh but good luck with your own goal.
Dude this is pretty simple, just be in a caloric deficit (eat less) and do cardio. It's pretty hard to grow muscles while losing weight even if you wanted them to grow.

Quick Reply

Latest