The Student Room Group

failed need help

I failed uni, what do i do now, do I go to the job centre before results or after? ( i am 100% sure i failed) im going to get kicked out or abuse mentally and emotionally etc at home. I want to move out but have no idea what to do can someone please help what should i do starting from tomorow morning?
I'm not going to tell you that everything will be fine and that you probably did really well. People told me that when I failed my second year. But at the very least, wait until you have you results. Only when you have facts in your hand can you do anything about them. And if you have failed - well, perhaps taking some time out would be the best option. Often at times of stress, we don't make very good decisions. Only when we have time to let reality sink in and accept what has happened to us can we reflect and move forward.

So regardless of what your results are, if I were you, I would get away and go on holiday. And if you have no cash, I would strap a tent to my back and spend a few night sleeping somewhere wild and rugged.
Good luck and don't beat yourself up too much.
If you dont have your results, then you dont know for sure you failed.
What were the reasons you performed so poorly?
Do you wnat to stay on at Uni?
If you were being abused then were you getting any help, seeing your GP and did anyone else know?

If you wnat to try and stay then you cna make an appeal for extenuating circumstances and they might decide to let you resit or retake the year.

If you wish to go down that route then you need to look at the rules for your uni on how they deal with failing exams.
Contact your tutor.
Contact an advisor on the SU who cna assist you.
Contact SFE as you may wnat to get that years funding disregarded.

If you do find yourself having left Uni and you cannot return home, then you are better off contacting CAB or Shelter or your local authorities housing office. they might be able to put you into contact with a local housing association or hostel where you could move to. You will obviously need to explain why you cnat move back home.

Alternatively you cna apply for Hosuing benefit if you cna find somewhere that will take you. the private sector normally requires 1 months deposit as well as the rent. Rather than get a flat it would be better for you just to get a room maybe in something like spareroom.com, but they might not want people on benefits. the key then would just eb to get a job to pay the rent so you cna survive and work up from there. Your local branch of shelter or CAB should have the details. It cna be a bit catch 22 till you get on your feet.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/how_we_can_help/shelter_advice_centres

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/housing_advice_for_young_people

If you need to sign on, then make sure you have left uni properly i.e ceased to be a student, then start signing on for JSA.
https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/how-to-claim

You cnat try and claim housing benefit until you have somewhere. It cna take several weeks for any claim to be processed.

https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/how-to-claim
Reply 3
best choice would be to do a NHS funded course such as nursing. The course will be free and you are garunteed a job at the end.
Reply 4
i know i failed uni because i barely answered anything in my last exam
the reason for all of this is depression and suicidal
i feel like this because of the bullying i experienced my whole life, i thought once i make it to uni it will end, before uni i never ever thought about suicide, but one month in and ever since i think about it almost every day
i went to the doctors for depression, he didn't help instead he told my mum when i wanted to keep it confidential, and went to my uni student support officer for the bullying and she said there is nothing that can be done about it and i should just ignore it

should I apply for all this stuff tomorow? or after results? when should i tell him
Reply 5
also i have no intention of going back even to that hell hole if i do pass for the sake of my mental health
Original post by subzero6661
i know i failed uni because i barely answered anything in my last exam
the reason for all of this is depression and suicidal
i feel like this because of the bullying i experienced my whole life, i thought once i make it to uni it will end, before uni i never ever thought about suicide, but one month in and ever since i think about it almost every day
i went to the doctors for depression, he didn't help instead he told my mum when i wanted to keep it confidential, and went to my uni student support officer for the bullying and she said there is nothing that can be done about it and i should just ignore it

should I apply for all this stuff tomorow? or after results? when should i tell him

I dont think you are seeing things clearly.
If you have mental health issues then you need to talk to the people in the Uni who deal with that. You should mentiuin the fact you you are suicidal. If you feel like doing something desparate then you should ring the samaritans 116 123Once your mental health officer knows, then they should be able to put you in contact with others. You cna contact your personal tutior plus have a word with someone at the SU about appealing your results. They cnat take it into consideration if you dont tell them. You dont say whether you wnat to stay at uni or not.

Your GP should keep things confidential. Go and speak to a different one if you dont trust your previous one.

Deal with Uni first as you wont be able to claim for benefits till that has finished.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
I dont think you are seeing things clearly.
If you have mental health issues then you need to talk to the people in the Uni who deal with that. You should mentiuin the fact you you are suicidal. If you feel like doing something desparate then you should ring the samaritans 116 123Once your mental health officer knows, then they should be able to put you in contact with others. You cna contact your personal tutior plus have a word with someone at the SU about appealing your results. They cnat take it into consideration if you dont tell them. You dont say whether you wnat to stay at uni or not.

Your GP should keep things confidential. Go and speak to a different one if you dont trust your previous one.

Deal with Uni first as you wont be able to claim for benefits till that has finished.

Uni is over for me, maybe i passed every other module, but i did not even answer the required marks to pass 20/50 let alone get the marks. I cannot retake as I retook this year already out of this same fear I am having now, this time i have no way out of this

when would/should i apply for jsa, i am currently applying for jobs, any jobs. i have been looking at rent and most people do not take dss, i have no savings at all (£12), i had a grant from uni which got used up on uni related things.

my main fear is being told to leave home, i have nowhere to go and nothing to fall back on, also i cant bear the thought of being split from my mother

i really dont know where i am going to be after next week, or if i even will be
Uni is over for me, maybe i passed every other module, but i did not even answer the required marks to pass 20/50 let alone get the marks. I cannot retake as I retook this year already out of this same fear I am having now, this time i have no way out of this

when would/should i apply for jsa, i am currently applying for jobs, any jobs. i have been looking at rent and most people do not take dss, i have no savings at all (£12), i had a grant from uni which got used up on uni related things.

my main fear is being told to leave home, i have nowhere to go and nothing to fall back on, also i cant bear the thought of being split from my mother

i really dont know where i am going to be after next week, or if i even will be

You may or you may not have failed.
If I was advising I would suggest waiting. I would look at the rules. You seem to have some sort of claim for extenuating circumstances so I would explore that avenue before giving up.

1. You are depressed and have mentioned being bullied as well as suicide. You arent in a good place. Its not over until its over or unless you want to give in. Theres no need to talk yourself into a corner. just prepare for the possible outcomes, hence getting someone to help you at the SU.

2. You cna apply for JSA as soon as you meet the criteria. that will include you ceasing to be a student. So you would need proof you arent returning i.e them terminating your course.

3. Yes its difficult to get anywhere just on DSS, hence get any job or ask the council or see a charoty if they have any ideas. i gace you the info previously.

4. Speak to Shelter. obviously your situation is complicated, so CAB or the Council might signpost you to a relevant advice agency. If your sitaution is that dire, then you need to get help from the Uni as you are still a student there until they withdraw you. Which Uni is it?
Reply 9
You may or you may not have failed.
If I was advising I would suggest waiting. I would look at the rules. You seem to have some sort of claim for extenuating circumstances so I would explore that avenue before giving up.

1. You are depressed and have mentioned being bullied as well as suicide. You arent in a good place. Its not over until its over or unless you want to give in. Theres no need to talk yourself into a corner. just prepare for the possible outcomes, hence getting someone to help you at the SU.

2. You cna apply for JSA as soon as you meet the criteria. that will include you ceasing to be a student. So you would need proof you arent returning i.e them terminating your course.

3. Yes its difficult to get anywhere just on DSS, hence get any job or ask the council or see a charoty if they have any ideas. i gace you the info previously.

4. Speak to Shelter. obviously your situation is complicated, so CAB or the Council might signpost you to a relevant advice agency. If your sitaution is that dire, then you need to get help from the Uni as you are still a student there until they withdraw you. Which Uni is it?

my uni is a dump £6000 classroom learning bad lecturers bad support i never want to go back
i just want to get on with my life i dont mind living in a single room by myself and working any job literally anything for me to be able to live there.
also as far as uni goes, i need 20/50 to pass i answered questions only able to get me like 12 marks there is literally nothing they are going to do to help me, they already didnt take me seriously when i went to them and broke down about my personal circumstances, they were the first people i told in my life, even before doctors, i cried infront of them, i hadn't cried since i left primary school before that, that literally broke me the fact i laid it all bare with them and they did nothing to help me, since then its all been downwards. i know its my own fault for failing but thats done know nothing more i can do
i just want to know what i can do now, i have never had anyone to speak to, and i have 0 knowledge on anything in the real world, due to being forced into education and not even allowed to go out without permission
my uni is a dump £6000 classroom learning bad lecturers bad support i never want to go back
i just want to get on with my life i dont mind living in a single room by myself and working any job literally anything for me to be able to live there.
also as far as uni goes, i need 20/50 to pass i answered questions only able to get me like 12 marks there is literally nothing they are going to do to help me, they already didnt take me seriously when i went to them and broke down about my personal circumstances, they were the first people i told in my life, even before doctors, i cried infront of them, i hadn't cried since i left primary school before that, that literally broke me the fact i laid it all bare with them and they did nothing to help me, since then its all been downwards. i know its my own fault for failing but thats done know nothing more i can do
i just want to know what i can do now, i have never had anyone to speak to, and i have 0 knowledge on anything in the real world, due to being forced into education and not even allowed to go out without permission

If you dont wnat to explore the avenues to try and save your degree thats your choice.

I suggest.

1. You get some medical help. If that GP didnt work or you dont trust then try another. Alternatively try MIND and they will listen plus attempt to forward you to someone who can help.
http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/

2. Ive told you and linked to you on how to claim JSA.

3. Ive informed you who you need to contact about housing as well as housing benefit.
Reply 11
If you dont wnat to explore the avenues to try and save your degree thats your choice.

I suggest.

1. You get some medical help. If that GP didnt work or you dont trust then try another. Alternatively try MIND and they will listen plus attempt to forward you to someone who can help.
http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/

2. Ive told you and linked to you on how to claim JSA.

3. Ive informed you who you need to contact about housing as well as housing benefit.

thank you,

so for now i am applying to jobs, when results are official and i am taken off as student i tell my dad, if i dont have a job by then apply for jsa and housing benefit. while this is happening where do i go? what about my personal belongings? is there a safe place i can put them while sleeping rough?
Someone's already suggested this but call Shelter if you're in England or Shelter Cymru if you're in Wales. I worked for them and they are great. Google their and you can either email or call them. They will help you get accommodation if you are at risk of homelessness/ are homeless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you,

so for now i am applying to jobs, when results are official and i am taken off as student i tell my dad, if i dont have a job by then apply for jsa and housing benefit. while this is happening where do i go? what about my personal belongings? is there a safe place i can put them while sleeping rough?

Contact your local shelter beforehand and thye may have a locla chaorty for homeless people. Even though you wont have left Uni, then you cna tell them you are about to be made homeless. Its soemthing that requires local knowledge.

the Uni might give you limited storage space for a very short time. You need to sort it out this week tbh. thats why you should get help from the SU whilst still a student.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending