The Student Room Group

Should I embrace my hobbies more this year?

For the last 5 years in High school I didn't really talk to many people and found it hard to talk to people in my class. I have a small group of friends but we don't have similar intreasts (we are still best friends though).

However this year since I'm starting A Levels I want to be more of an open book and embrace my interests. The only problem is that I like stuff that could get me bullied (Nintendo games, Anime and Reading books. So I'm basically a nerd). Should I be more open about my weird interests or stay quiet so that I don't get bullied. And is anyone else in this situation?
You're not going to be bullied in Sixth Form for liking Nintendo, or anime, or reading. Pokemon Go is practically a global phenomenon at this point, and I know a lot of people who are nostalgic towards the older games. Most people have watched anime at some point, be it Studio Ghibli or Free or something much more obscure. If someone makes fun of you for reading, I'd be quite worried about their academic standing.

So be open about your interests, if they're what you're passionate about. But don't push them onto others; don't spend all of your time talking about your interests and not letting anyone else get a word in edgeways.

(I was in a similar situation; eventually I switched schools and started being much more open about my (relatively obscure) interests. I don't get bullied. I was told a couple of months ago that I'm 'cool in an understated way', which is far better than anyone ever thought of me at any of my old schools. So go for it.)
Original post by Squishy Pixelz
For the last 5 years in High school I didn't really talk to many people and found it hard to talk to people in my class. I have a small group of friends but we don't have similar intreasts (we are still best friends though).

However this year since I'm starting A Levels I want to be more of an open book and embrace my interests. The only problem is that I like stuff that could get me bullied (Nintendo games, Anime and Reading books. So I'm basically a nerd). Should I be more open about my weird interests or stay quiet so that I don't get bullied. And is anyone else in this situation?

heya! I love @ thatllbeme answer but i'd also like to add something too :smile:

you deffo sound cool - (i don't know anything about anime myself - people are more open about what they're into @ 6th form and I heard the word pop up a few times :smile:) you have loads of conversation starters to dive into once you get to sixth form... e.g. like the other poster said nintendo is at a peak - do you have a nintendo DS console for example? I'm guessing if your a nintendo fan like me you've possible kept your DS lite games :smile: ask if anyone used to play them when they were younger which were their favourite (this could be a good topic because I know plenty of people used to have a ds throughout primary and 3ds in secondary.

plus about ds you can mention there's a new console coming out in november etc, (atm people are feeling nostalgic so may purchase ds, 3ds etc, so if you like these, these can be good conversation starters :smile:

also, reading is a good conversation starter as well - if your into harry potter there's a good chance many people will have read the new script book, you could find some potterheads or ask about any other kind of books your into... possibly your taking a level english lit if you like reading? :smile:

I started a notebook and filled it with positive quotes, sayings etc and I'm making it really colourful so when I'm a bit sad i can flick through and there's all these happy and positive and happy quotes :smile: maybe you should do the same!

good luck!!!!!!! @ sixth form and have fun :biggrin: ps. I'm intrigued to know what subjects your taking :smile:
Original post by bizzy_penguin
heya! I love @ thatllbeme answer but i'd also like to add something too :smile:

you deffo sound cool - (i don't know anything about anime myself - people are more open about what they're into @ 6th form and I heard the word pop up a few times :smile:) you have loads of conversation starters to dive into once you get to sixth form... e.g. like the other poster said nintendo is at a peak - do you have a nintendo DS console for example? I'm guessing if your a nintendo fan like me you've possible kept your DS lite games :smile: ask if anyone used to play them when they were younger which were their favourite (this could be a good topic because I know plenty of people used to have a ds throughout primary and 3ds in secondary.

plus about ds you can mention there's a new console coming out in november etc, (atm people are feeling nostalgic so may purchase ds, 3ds etc, so if you like these, these can be good conversation starters :smile:

also, reading is a good conversation starter as well - if your into harry potter there's a good chance many people will have read the new script book, you could find some potterheads or ask about any other kind of books your into... possibly your taking a level english lit if you like reading? :smile:

I started a notebook and filled it with positive quotes, sayings etc and I'm making it really colourful so when I'm a bit sad i can flick through and there's all these happy and positive and happy quotes :smile: maybe you should do the same!

good luck!!!!!!! @ sixth form and have fun :biggrin: ps. I'm intrigued to know what subjects your taking :smile:

You both are right. Thank you and to answer the subject question I'm (hopefully) doing Music, Drama and ICT. They work well for my dream job and I enjoy them.

Quick Reply

Latest