The Student Room Group

Got fined without being told?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum

Basically i just finished my first year of uni, and a few weeks ago i got an email stating i was overdue on paying a fine, which immediately shocked me because i had not been told of any fine. I was told that it was now going to start charging interest.
I then sent several emails to housekeeping (who issued the fine) who clarified they had never emailed or contacted me?!?! but said they 'tried my room a few times and i wasnt in'... however then still went ahead with this charge without given me ANY notice

So basically now im having to pay this fine along with interest and i'm wondering if there is any sort of legal grounds to push this back or stop the interest seeing as my 'late payment warning' was the first i had ever heard!

Thank you for any help as i have no idea what to say!
Reply 1
Original post by c_k62

Basically i just finished my first year of uni, and a few weeks ago i got an email stating i was overdue on paying a fine, which immediately shocked me because i had not been told of any fine. I was told that it was now going to start charging interest.
I then sent several emails to housekeeping (who issued the fine) who clarified they had never emailed or contacted me?!?! but said they 'tried my room a few times and i wasnt in'... however then still went ahead with this charge without given me ANY notice

So basically now im having to pay this fine along with interest and i'm wondering if there is any sort of legal grounds to push this back or stop the interest seeing as my 'late payment warning' was the first i had ever heard!

Why don't you just pay it, and stop being such a tight wad!?
You dont say what the fine was for. Are you complaining about that or just the interest?

Read the rules or your tenancy/ licence agreement.

Make an appela or contact them saying its inappropriate for you to pay interest as they failed to notify you of the fine in the first place. Trying your room is insufficient and they should have left wrotten notification. check the rules for the correct procedure. i cnat believe they didnt send you a notice of some sort.
Reply 3
Original post by c_k62

Check the small print in your accommodation contract. If it says that they can fine you without notice or after making x attempts to visit, then you don't have grounds for an appeal.

Did you cause housekeeping a problem? If so, a fine may be justified.

Either way, the longer you delay, the bigger the fine will get. Easiest way is to pay up and get on with your life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending