The Student Room Group

Who practices the most noble sport of shooting, be it with rifle/shotgun/pistol/bow?

So the most common types ... Feel free to share your discipline and any equiptment you own/usually use :smile:
Rifle - Target shooting/Biathlon
ShotGun - Skeet/Trap
Pistol - Target/Pentathlon
Archery
Crossbow

I've always been one for a spot of Clay pigeon shooting and the usual range shooting for pistols/rifles if i get a chance when abroad :smile:
Have a wee collection of an O/U [Perazzi] a Semi [Mossberg] Pump [Benelli] and a S/S Baikal :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty sure no archer would ever say they did 'shooting'. It's a totally different sport.
You missed out the AK47 option. That's pretty popular, no?
Original post by Moonstruck16

Original post by Napp
So the most common types ... Feel free to share your discipline and any equiptment you own/usually use :smile:
Rifle - Target shooting/Biathlon
ShotGun - Skeet/Trap
Pistol - Target/Pentathlon
Archery
Crossbow

I've always been one for a spot of Clay pigeon shooting and the usual range shooting for pistols/rifles if i get a chance when abroad :smile:
Have a wee collection of an O/U [Perazzi] a Semi [Mossberg] Pump [Benelli] and a S/S Baikal :smile:

I have to agree with clay pigeon shooting
I have a Remington shotgun, a live Walther p99 handgun (i have a licence),a colt m1911(deactivated and drilled), a colt .45(a live piece mainly for display) (i keep it pinless) and an ak47 (deactivated and lead loaded)
Reply 4
Original post by jamesthehustler
I have to agree with clay pigeon shooting
I have a Remington shotgun, a live Walther p99 handgun (i have a licence),a colt m1911(deactivated and drilled), a colt .45(a live piece mainly for display) (i keep it pinless) and an ak47 (deactivated and lead loaded)

Is this in the UK or abroad? I've heard of very very few people out side of the armed forces who privately own hand guns let alone one like that..? Out of curiosity are the de-activated ones pre or post '95 spec?
Original post by Moonstruck16

Well they are fun but about as accurate as a Mac-10
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I'm pretty sure no archer would ever say they did 'shooting'. It's a totally different sport.

Sigh, you do know there is a character limit on the title right? Plus Archery still involves 'shooting' the Arrow/Quarrel. And its under the same section on wiki.. :rolleyes: :P
Original post by Napp
Is this in the UK or abroad? I've heard of very very few people out side of the armed forces who privately own hand guns let alone one like that..? Out of curiosity are the de-activated ones pre or post '95 spec?

in the UKI have family in high-end security so I managed to get one by joining their companythe colt was deactivated in 1954 in the US and the ak47 was deactivated in in 1998 in Poland
Reply 6
in the UKI have family in high-end security so I managed to get one by joining their companythe colt was deactivated in 1954 in the US and the ak47 was deactivated in in 1998 in Poland

Hmm might I ask what purpose it serves then, i imagine places to let it off are limited to military/police ranges?
I imagine a fairly basic deac then given the date/country?
I do Target shooting and I am quite good.
going to start skeet shooting soon

Done a little bit of Archery and I might start pistol again when i get one but I need to save up.
Reply 8
Archery and target shooting albeit once every few months or so :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Napp
Hmm might I ask what purpose it serves then, i imagine places to let it off are limited to military/police ranges?
I imagine a fairly basic deac then given the date/country?

pretty much but it is fun and I would use it in security if I had to
yes and no basic I could likely reactivate the colts with the right parts but the AK is solid lead from the magazine through the chamber to the barrel
Reply 10
pretty much but it is fun and I would use it in security if I had to
yes and no basic I could likely reactivate the colts with the right parts but the AK is solid lead from the magazine through the chamber to the barrel

Hmm lof course me not knowing which AK you have as different ones made in various countries used different materials to an extent I do wonder that if its simply had molten lead poured down it you couldnt simply heat the barrel and the lead would flow out? Doubtless bad for the barrell at any rate but steel vs. lead melting point and all... naturally a hypothetical question due to legality :tongue:
Original post by Napp
Hmm lof course me not knowing which AK you have as different ones made in various countries used different materials to an extent I do wonder that if its simply had molten lead poured down it you couldnt simply heat the barrel and the lead would flow out? Doubtless bad for the barrell at any rate but steel vs. lead melting point and all... naturally a hypothetical question due to legality :tongue:

it could be possible but I don't know if anything was done to the mechanism before the lead was poured
not to mention the magazine looks to be jammed by the lead so it would take some time to get it right if it worked at all
not to mention I have £300 into it and I haven't seen another one on the market here since I bought my one
Reply 12
FN FAL 😁
Reply 13
it could be possible but I don't know if anything was done to the mechanism before the lead was poured
not to mention the magazine looks to be jammed by the lead so it would take some time to get it right if it worked at all
not to mention I have £300 into it and I haven't seen another one on the market here since I bought my one

Mmm i'd be surprised if the firing pin hadnt been sanded off and breach block drilled through which is rather hard to come back from without a replacement.
Interesting about the magazine though i cant think of any reason to disable that beyond why the hell not ha.
AK47's? They're common as dirt on the gun trading sites, de-activated that is. Although its origin etc. will undoubtedly be different.
Original post by Napp
Mmm i'd be surprised if the firing pin hadnt been sanded off and breach block drilled through which is rather hard to come back from without a replacement.
Interesting about the magazine though i cant think of any reason to disable that beyond why the hell not ha.
AK47's? They're common as dirt on the gun trading sites, de-activated that is. Although its origin etc. will undoubtedly be different.

exactly it would be more time and cost than it's worth to consider repairing not to mention the legality
seems like it was done for the sake of it the only reason i can think of is to do with balancing the weight out
they are quite common it depends on the variant as my one is different the wood is a lighter colour than others and it is cleaner aesthetically it looks almost unused until it was filled with lead
Original post by Napp
Sigh, you do know there is a character limit on the title right? Plus Archery still involves 'shooting' the Arrow/Quarrel. And its under the same section on wiki.. :rolleyes: :P

I did archery for several years. It's nothing like shooting. Just because one place on the internet groups them together doesn't mean they're similar. I could group football, rugby, netball, hockey, basketball, polo, cricket, volleyball etc. together as team ball sports. Doesn't make them all similar sports
I did archery for several years. It's nothing like shooting. Just because one place on the internet groups them together doesn't mean they're similar. I could group football, rugby, netball, hockey, basketball, polo, cricket, volleyball etc. together as team ball sports. Doesn't make them all similar sports

What type of bow did you have? I did archery for 5 years where I was a compound archer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KaptainCliff
What type of bow did you have? I did archery for 5 years where I was a compound archer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was a recurve archer.
Reply 18

Are you seriously trying to argue the toss over a non-point? We are all perfectly aware firing an arrow is somewhat different from discharging a 12G. It was simply easier to put them both in the title instead of creating two threads.
I shoot tin cans with an air rifle on occasion if that counts.

Quick Reply

Latest