The Student Room Group

The 4,000-Year-Old "Great Flood" rumoured to be true

“This was one of the largest floods to have happened on Earth in the last 10,000 years,” study co-author Darryl Granger, professor in the department of earth atmospheric planetary sciences at Purdue University, said in a press conference. The flood was likely to have destroyed settlements as far as 2,000 kilometers (1,240 miles) downstream.

Not exactly Noah's ark, but close enough I guess.

Shout out to my man Yu the last water bender

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/chinas-4000-year-old-great-flood-founding-myth-was-true-all-along/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Where does the bible mention the area on which the flood occurred? Could Noah be Chinese?
Original post by mercuryman
Where does the bible mention the area on which the flood occurred? Could Noah be Chinese?

Wasn't it supposed to be a worldwide thing? I'm assuming around the middle east area because the Ark was supposed to have landed on Mt Ararat, Turkey
Reply 3
Do you actually believe it happened worldwide? If it was the case how is it not been documented by other major civilisations in history?

I do believe there is some truth to the flood mentioned in the Bible, Quran (and Torah?? Correct me if I'm wrong).
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you actually believe it happened worldwide? If it was the case how is it not been documented by other major civilisations in history?

It has been, at least according to this webpage:

http://www.icr.org/article/why-does-nearly-every-culture-have-tradition-globa/

I do believe there is some truth to the flood mentioned in the Bible, Quran (and Torah?? Correct me if I'm wrong).

Noahs ark is probably actually a rip off of the epic of giglamesh in the ancient sumerian civilisation.Its pretty much the same story with minor differences.
Institute of Creation Resarch......dat theist bias tho.

I've read before there's the hypothesis that about 7,000 or so years ago the Black sea may have increased in size in a rather short period of time, thus any human settlements would have had to continually move away from its encroachment and those stories may have been remembered somehow..albeit that would be a very long period to carry them on.

But at Noah's time? Doubtful, certainly not something world wide since you'd expect the reasonably advanced Egyptian or Chinese cultures to have noted it, which they did not.

There was probably a major regional flooding and the stories came from that.
Original post by joey11223
Institute of Creation Resarch......dat theist bias tho.

I've read before there's the hypothesis that about 7,000 or so years ago the Black sea may have increased in size in a rather short period of time, thus any human settlements would have had to continually move away from its encroachment and those stories may have been remembered somehow..albeit that would be a very long period to carry them on.

But at Noah's time? Doubtful, certainly not something world wide since you'd expect the reasonably advanced Egyptian or Chinese cultures to have noted it, which they did not.

There was probably a major regional flooding and the stories came from that.

Hence why I said 'according to this webpage'

I've also heard and read about local flood events being exaggerated as to the possible cause of all these flood stories. It would be interesting to know if they all developed independently or if they just copied the story off each other or passed it down?
The great civilisations were normally built on the flood plains of rivers, floods are a common occurrence, people die when they are overwhelmed by floods, stories are exaggerated especially by people with poor writing skills. All this adds up to this ridiculous story of a great flood that killed off all but Noah and some of his incestuous family. The great mystery is why people of this generation still cling onto this belief, stupidity is not the answer, but it certainly looks that way.
Ofc there were large floods, every mya or so large floods from receding ice poles from ice ages can create large floods, but certainly not in the time that there was documented history. Even if there was a flood, the ark would certainly be fake, if not accurate. All animals in the world. Perhaps they meant animals which could be domesticated only.
Hahahahaha. Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

I love the Institute for Creation 'Research'. Their crackpot theories and twisted 'science' always make me laugh. They're only a few shades more sane than your garden variety conspiracy theorist.
Reply 11
I'm not sure how true it is.

However, the story of Dwarka (35,000+ year old city located off Gujarat's coast) is likely the origin of the Noah's Ark story.

The original inhabitants of Dwarka were cousins of semites (Dravidians) and the Indus Valley Civilisation had contact with Sumer / Akkad etc.

So considering Dwarka disappeared under the seas 10,000 years ago and was evacuated (there is a lot of mythology similar in many ways to the Noah's Ark story), it wouldn't surprise me if the other semitic tribes who weren't as literate or advanced as the IVC would have taken that story and adopted it as their own.
Original post by 41b
I'm not sure how true it is.

However, the story of Dwarka (35,000+ year old city located off Gujarat's coast) is likely the origin of the Noah's Ark story.

The original inhabitants of Dwarka were cousins of semites (Dravidians) and the Indus Valley Civilisation had contact with Sumer / Akkad etc.

So considering Dwarka disappeared under the seas 10,000 years ago and was evacuated (there is a lot of mythology similar in many ways to the Noah's Ark story), it wouldn't surprise me if the other semitic tribes who weren't as literate or advanced as the IVC would have taken that story and adopted it as their own.

Surely you mean 3500+ year old city?
Giving ICR as a source of evidence is like using an ABC book as an encyclopedia.
Original post by Fango_Jett
Hahahahaha. Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

I love the Institute for Creation 'Research'. Their crackpot theories and twisted 'science' always make me laugh. They're only a few shades more sane than your garden variety conspiracy theorist.

Original post by dozyrosie
Giving ICR as a source of evidence is like using an ABC book as an encyclopedia.

Hence my disclaimer
Reply 15
Original post by dozyrosie
Surely you mean 3500+ year old city?

No, they found a wooden construction piece dated at 35,000 years old. You just haven't heard it in the Western media.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending