The Student Room Group

Made a HUGE mistake

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Platopus
Thanks, I will try not to worry but as you probably know that's easier said than done. I've been researching a few other unis already but will continue to have a look around and check out other options :smile:

By a few terms, I think you mean a whole academic year! Which would be a long time if I was finding it unbearable :frown:

Come to Derby. The uni may not be number one, but they are friendly in some of the pubs here :smile::wink::tongue:
Reply 101
I choose two very prestigious unis as my firm and insurance, purely because I somehow felt I should. And my school pressurised me into applying to them. I mean literally, the head of my sixth form went as far as phoning my mum.

Now, I realise that I don't want to go to either. I worked so hard throughout sixth form and I hated it. I can't spend 3 years somewhere where that level of work would be expected from me again. I'd much rather go to a more relaxed uni where I could actually have a social life and not kill myself working every hour of the day.

I'll be upset if my grades are bad on results day, because I will feel that my work all year was for nothing. But, I'm also half wishing for bad grades so I have an excuse not to go to my firm or insurance. I don't think I'd be brave enough to defy everyone's expectations and ask them to release me.

What should I do?

Don't worry, you don't work that much at uni. If you're in the Humanities, you'll have very few fours compared to secondary school -- and much more vacations.

I'd say that going in a prestigious uni to do a degree in the humanities is essential for the rest of your career. So stick to your choices.
Reply 102
Original post by jneill
You will still have to work pretty hard at Bristol or wherever. And getting a place in Clearing can be problematic for accommodation. Not always, and it depends on the university, but don't assume it's an easy option logistically :wink:

PS. I can't see Philosophy or EngLit in Clearing at Bristol at the moment...

I do realise that I'd have to work hard at any top uni. But I wouldn't have to work as hard. I find hard work bearable, but it's excessively hard work that I can't cope with.

Yeah, only the only uni in clearing that I am currently interested in is Leeds. So, if it comes down to it, taking a gap year and reapplying next cycle would probably widen my options.
Thank you. It honestly isn't just me thinking that I'm not good enough, though. I realise that I probably could get the results Cambrudge and Durham expect if I work my hardest. But, my hardest is very hard. I worked my hardest during sixth form and it was hell. I physically cannot do that for another 3 years. And if that's what life at Cambridge/Durham would be like, I don't want it.
Apart from commending PQ's excellent advice to you, I would just add that university life is so different from school life that you shouldn't make any assumptions about the level of hard work required. I am also wondering whether you have been working so very hard as much from anxiety about falling short of expectations (and I suspect that those of yourself are at least as high if not higher than those you believe your school and parents have of you) as from a real need to do so to achieve the results.

A gap year is definitely worth considering.
Reply 104
Original post by john2054
Come to Derby. The uni may not be number one, but they are friendly in some of the pubs here :smile::wink::tongue:

Haha thanks I'll check it out :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by Minerva
Apart from commending PQ's excellent advice to you, I would just add that university life is so different from school life that you shouldn't make any assumptions about the level of hard work required. I am also wondering whether you have been working so very hard as much from anxiety about falling short of expectations (and I suspect that those of yourself are at least as high if not higher than those you believe your school and parents have of you) as from a real need to do so to achieve the results.

A gap year is definitely worth considering.

Thank you again. Yes, you're right I worked that hard due to my own anxiety. But I feel that I would be less anxious about falling short at a slightly more reared uni.
Reply 106
Original post by Josb
Don't worry, you don't work that much at uni. If you're in the Humanities, you'll have very few fours compared to secondary school -- and much more vacations.

I'd say that going in a prestigious uni to do a degree in the humanities is essential for the rest of your career. So stick to your choices.

As I've said, I want to be a primary school teacher and an Oxbridge degree isn't exactly required for that, though I know it would always be an advantage. But, thanks for sharing your perspective.
Reply 107
Original post by jneill
Full disclosure: it would be £9k plus your maintenance loan (i.e accommodation costs etc). But it just gets added to your SFE account. Yes it will take longer to pay if off, but it doesn't increase the monthly amount you have to repay when you start working. And if you don't repay it all within 30 years the balance is written off.

Original post by 999tigger
Its still debt they will be expected to pay back at some date in the future. I assume platopus intends to earn over 21k at some stage. I would rather not incur the debt at all tbh and make the decision beforehand as she will be in a posiyion to do. Part of that ofc may be to give one of them a try, but it depends on a number of other factors.

I never said it was the deciding factor, but it is something to be borne in mind.

I think this is a big worry: the fact I would have to pay off all that debt at some point. But still, it should be one of many pros and cons, rather than the deciding factor influencing my decision. You're both right and considering this matter in all lights is helpful.
I think this is a big worry: the fact I would have to pay off all that debt at some point. But still, it should be one of many pros and cons, rather than the deciding factor influencing my decision. You're both right and considering this matter in all lights is helpful.

The difference between 4 years of loans and 3 years is an extra ~4 years of repaying the loan (at around £70 a month of your £2,500pm gross on a mid range teachers salary).

That's assuming you have the basic loan amount - if you're entitled to additional loans based on a low household income then on a teachers salary you're unlikely to repay the loan within 30 years of working (and so additional years of study aren't going to increase the repayments you make in any way)
Reply 109
Original post by PQ
The difference between 4 years of loans and 3 years is an extra ~4 years of repaying the loan (at around £70 a month of your £2,500pm gross on a mid range teachers salary).

That's assuming you have the basic loan amount - if you're entitled to additional loans based on a low household income then on a teachers salary you're unlikely to repay the loan within 30 years of working (and so additional years of study aren't going to increase the repayments you make in any way)

I'm entitled to pretty much the maximum maintenance loan, if that's what you mean?

Again, thanks for the info!

Quick Reply