The Student Room Group

Christopher Biggins out of Big Brother over comments 'capable of offence'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36988322

Actor Christopher Biggins has been removed from the Celebrity Big Brother house for making "a number of comments capable of causing great offence", the reality TV show has said.Programme makers did not disclose the comments made by Biggins, who had been the bookmakers' favourite to win.But they said the Channel 5 show "does not tolerate offensive language".Biggins, 67, had sparked controversy four days earlier over comments that bisexual people were "the worst type".Opening Friday's live show - which saw presenter Anthea Turner's ex-husband Grant Bovey voted out of the house - presenter Emma Willis made a brief reference to Biggins' removal but gave no details.A statement posted on the Celebrity Big Brother website said the show had "taken the decision to remove Christopher Biggins"."Since entering Big Brother, he has made a number of comments capable of causing great offence to housemates and the viewing public," it said.

Seriously?

I know what Biggins said was rather moronic, but at the end of the day, they're just words.

What do you expect from Big Brother?

Also, "the Channel 5 show "does not tolerate offensive language" :

If that's so then why isn't BB evicting anyone who swears lol...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I..umm didn't know CBB was still a thing lmao.

I'm interested to find out what he actually said and did he really make that comment about bisexuals in a serious manner? If so jeez I just lost a lot of respect for him
It's not fair that he got kicked out and if anyone that should of been kicked out of the Big Brother house it should of been Bear
I don't think he should have been kicked out for one comment, although it was rather thoughtless of him. If he said more offensive things, then maybe, but if not then how can they justify this and still keep Bear in the house?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didn't someone get kicked out before for using the n word? *I haven't watched big brother in years but the contestants should know better by now. *I don't like Christopher Biggins so have no sympathy for him anyway.
I doubt it was really that offensive. Apparently poor old Katie whatsherface was quite upset. Diddums.
It's all a load of hoohah over nothing.
Apparently it happened earlier in the week ( Monday?) but ch5 didn't act until later in the week when the transcript started to leak.
I read a version on another site (not one I could confirm so I won't repeat it here) but it was a lot more controversial than what is written above. It read like your granny talking where your toes are curling but you bite your tongue as she will be gone soon. Diffence being he was on national TV.
Shame really as I like him but I think we may have seen the last of him on TV.
The transcript I read went further than the Jews and bisexuals.
I think the problem with BB is that people are there 24/7 and as mad as it sounds they forget the cameras and turn off the filter that many people have in their head when talking in public. They allow themselves to talk like they are at home with friends and family.
What I read is no worse than many normal people think and say but for somebody in public life to say it, would always lead to disaster .
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't watch it. But, from what I hear, it's always the senile old coots that get kicked out for saying something offensive.
Original post by caravaggio2

I think the problem with BB is that people are there 24/7 and as mad as it sounds they forget the cameras and turn off the filter that many people have in their head when talking in public. They allow themselves to talk like they are at home with friends and family.

Isn't that the point of the show though? Wasn't the original BB conceived as a recorded social experiment to see how people react when stuck in a house with strangers for extended periods of time?

To not be able to be yourself seems to defeat the purpose of the show (although by this point it's moved on from being an interesting thing to watch and instead has become detritus full of z-list celebs and people wanting their 15 minutes in the limelight), and the show would be rather boring (moreso than it already is) is everyone operated with the filter on throughout.
The transcript that was circulating around was a fake. What he said was:
"You better be careful or they'll be putting you in a shower and taking you to a room", and regarding bisexuals:
"The worst type though is, I'm afraid to say, the bisexuals... what it is is people not wanting to admit they are gay."
(source)

Personally I find it depressing where CBB chooses to direct its moral outrage. I have little sympathy for people who feel offended on behalf of others, especially over jokes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Interesting how language is more offensive than a bunch of 'hippos' engaging in coitus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending