The Student Room Group

Survey: Only 18% of Germans would fight for their country

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Being reminded of Germany's past does not equal telling us that we are bad people. Staying in touch with our awful history (committed by a completely different set of people two generations ago) is an important reminder and prevention mechanism of this from happening again. This doesn't cause guilt, this causes reflection and learning. I wish the BBC would show more about how the British Empire exacerbated the Irish famine, partitioned India, ran torture centers in Aden or the Boer concentration camps. It would teach you loud-mouthed Brits some much-needed humility and perspective.

Only one refugee residence being torched is one too many and a crime against humanity. If you disagree, please kill yourself right now.

Yep, they are tax-paying, passport-holding, xenophobic, racist cretins that any sensible politician is right not to listen to. They are a small minority - do you even know the AfD numbers? The Brexit referendum showed what happens when you give 'the people' a voice. I'll have highly educated elites make decisions for me any day rather exposing my country to the will of moronic, short-sighted peasants - I am much closer to the former than the latter. I don't want my country to end up like Britain.

So you don't want democracy.

Doesn't seem like you reflected too much on your history when you wrote that last paragraph.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by paul514

Of course I do. I want our centrist-leftist government, who has a mandate from the German people as clearly shown by the outcome of the last election, to do its job and implement and centrist-leftist policy. Welcoming people from war-torn countries is part of that - it's actually part of being human.
I don't know where you lot get that idea from, but it is not a majority of the German people that wants to keep refugees out. That scum is just good at creating noise and publicity - they learned from Farage, it seems...

Original post by paul514
Doesn't seem like you reflected too much on your history when you wrote that last paragraph.

Of course I did.

Original post by paul514
Heil

Unfortunately writing/saying that is not a criminal offence in the UK, as it is in Germany. Reported you to the mods anyway.
I should be surprised? Patriotism is the measles of mankind. So I prefer to be a global citizen. I can live in any country I like. Everyone has the right to be whatever they want. Patriotism go to hell!

1470640543270.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Progress.

Of all the things to fight for "your country" is one of the stupidest.

Hardly, it's quite possibly one of the most sensible things to fight for. Your country is where you live, it's where your communities are, it's where the people you're living and interacting with and building relationships with on a daily basis are.
Original post by limetang
Hardly, it's quite possibly one of the most sensible things to fight for. Your country is where you live, it's where your communities are, it's where the people you're living and interacting with and building relationships with on a daily basis are.

That implies your community is under direct threat. I would have fought in the Paris Commune for example. No problem. That was distinctly non nationalist though... It was the people fighting for their country that would have been trying to kill me...

A hell of a lot of wars were/are about going off to fight in some distant land for the interests of people who do not give the slightest **** about you beyond ensuring that you are able to prop up their privileged and domination over you.

Reminds me of this Banks quote.

“There has seldom if ever a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.”
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by paul514

Heil

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a horrendous post. Should be ashamed of yourself that you think it's funny or acceptable provocation.
Reply 86
Original post by slaven
Sorry Heiko Mass but this you can tell to foreigners. As someone who can speak German abd regulary watch german media I can say it is not only about money.

You are constantly reminded by your own media that you are basically evil people. Every day yoz can find a doku about the Third Reich on ARD and the newspaper make at least in one news a reference to that period. The BRD media are so political correct that even the UK media outlets like Guardian is a right-wing paper conpared to them.

Haha. Firstly, it was recently discovered that at least the half of the burning are comiteed by refugees itelfs (usually accidentaly). Your media declare this as right-wing atracks even before the police ended the investigation. You are being feeded by a myth just like few months ago it was discovered that a 30 million euro refugee center was branded by a refugee because the guy was upset for not receiving proper meal for ramadan.

Secondly, the "xenophobes" as you call them are citizens and paying taxes to the BRD for years. They have a say and rights more than the refugees whether you like it or not. Merkel never consultated the people if they wish to accept million of muslim migrants. They are not a minority considering the success of afd in all federal states.

You must tune in "regularly" at just the right moments, huh?
That implies your community is under direct threat. I would have fought in the Paris Commune for example. No problem. That was distinctly non nationalist though... It was the people fighting for their country that would have been trying to kill me...

A hell of a lot of wars were/are about going off to fight in some distant land for the interests of people who do not give the slightest **** about you beyond ensuring that you are able to prop up their privileged and domination over you.

Reminds me of this Banks quote.

“There has seldom if ever a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.”

Well I thought that was the implication. Fight for your country meaning that you would fight to protect it.*
Well they did get merked in WWI/WWII..
Im not bloody buying it.. them pesky Germans
Original post by limetang
Well I thought that was the implication. Fight for your country meaning that you would fight to protect it.*

The term "fight for your country" can mean anything from defending your family from an occupying force or making up the force that is occupying a far away land to colonise. What if you are fighting the french in a far away land for a colony?
Reply 91
Original post by Onde
In my view, it is better to fight for a philosophy you believe in rather than for something like a country. It would be a great mistake to fight for my country purely for the reason it is my country.

Progress.

Of all the things to fight for "your country" is one of the stupidest.

Exactly, blind nationalism is nothing to be proud of and I certainly wouldn't be 'proud' to fight for my country if my country was at war only because of some arrogant, war hungry dictator. Like others have said, it would depend on the circumstances.
Original post by Mathemagicien
It is every red-blooded Englishman's duty to fight the French.

Starting with @Josb
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Totally irrelevant.

Anybody can claim "I am a proud patriot and I would fight and die for my country", it means jack **** unless you're willing to join up, do the training and serve.

Being in the military is not fighting for your country, and it hasn't been for a long, long time.
No surprise there. There is no point to fight for your country If you expect that occupation doesn't change much, or you are allowed to run away and live pleasantly somewhere else.
Original post by slaven
Haha dream on. You wish to turn UK into a patological society like the BRD.

Again, wrong spelling, wrong use. Please get a dictionary.

Original post by slaven
and the Empire did more good than harm to the world.

False.

Original post by slaven

Fu.ck you. At this point you seem to be a troll. I.sinecerly hope some rapefugee attack your female member of family than tell us do you still hold this opinion, Merkelboy

This shows your true colors. You have been reported to TSR for this.

Original post by slaven
So.you think it is ok to steal their money and than ignore their opinion? How liberal from you indeed.

Steal their money? Since when is paying taxes for infrastructure and security theft? How old are you, 13? Your mental age is, for sure.

Original post by slaven
There are polls suggesting 60% of Germans are not in favour of accepting refigees. They are in fact a quiet majority.

Firstly, this number is wrong, and secondly this is not the AfD polling numbers you referred to earlier.

Original post by slaven

They do not necesarly vote AfD but since you mention it, yes the AfD is getting stronger. In all state elections they managed to score 15-25%

Wrong again. And this time I actually made the effort of finding data that PROVES you wrong: http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
You can read this since you 'know' German, right?

Original post by slaven
Of what do you think whom will Brexit harm more? The german car industry or the UK?

Of course the laughably shaky and undiversified UK economy. Look forward to be unemployed when you graduate! Oh wait, low-lifes like you would be anyway.
Warfare is completely different now anyways. Most international policy, terrorism, and technological advancements. Thats the main ways people compete now a days, They are more viable as weapons of mass destruction can destroy us all, nuclear fallout as it were. Mutually assured destruction is not a good place to be.
Well said.

In fact, to prevent those xenophobic, racist peasants from ruining things, Germany needs a strong ruler who can stand up to the tyrannical masses and suspend democracy. We should also invade intolerant countries, like Poland, France, Russia, in order to spread tolerance and enforce diversity. Then we really need to find a final solution to the racist problem. Maybe sterilise everyone and force adoption of African children? Then we can say hello to a new Europe: a tolerant Europe. A diverse Europe.

Germany does need -and have- a strong ruler to prevent those xenophobic, racist peasants from ruining things, but not as per your paragraph which is but a poor attempt at trolling, but to stay steadfast knowing she has a strong democratic mandate from the decent people of Germany, and to make the right choices, the only ones that are acceptable to make as a Christian, as a compassionate human being.

Haven't I destroyed you and your fascist, nationalist, clearly xenophobic views sufficiently earlier in this thread? Can't you just be quiet and 'fight' for your country which embarrassed itself internationally and as a result is tailspinning into yet another recession?
Fascists are nationalist by definition, and xenophobic by necessity. Why use three words when one would have sufficed? I thought Germans were efficient.

Sometimes linguistic redundancy is conducive to ramming a point home...
It is your country that has doomed itself to irrelevancy, at least in the long term, with its extremely low birth rate, a symptom of a phobia of risks taken to irrational levels, views of gender roles unsuited to the 21st century, and an irrational fear of pro-natalist policies.

Germany is implementing these pro-natalist policies that you speak of, namely guaranteed daycare for all children. And it's working, 2015 saw a quarter-century high in the birth rate.

I am sure you will also be extremely happy about the high UK birth rate upon learning that this is driven by foreign-born mothers.

The UK's population will surpass Germany's within our lifetimes, and soon after, the power will pass from Germany to the UK.

Sure, because size of population equals power in a developed nation. It's not like productivity, sound economic and fiscal policy, union-industry cooperation, or an internationally well-respected government that doesn't change after every other referendum matter!

In the meantime, I will enjoy the next few decades of Germany utterly dominating a UK that is falling apart, suffering from a permanently hampered economy, slipping in and out of recession, lacking free higher education, any sort of competition in the health sector, has the highest teenage pregnancy and alcoholism rates in Europe, and a young generation mostly comprised of nationalist half-wits like you further isolating and dividing the country.

Good times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending