The Student Room Group

Should it be illegal to force a child to believe in a religion or ideology?

It would make it against the law to use force, coercion, undue influence or blackmail in order to make a child believe/practise a religion or ideology.

So, refusing a child dinner if they did not attend church would be unlawful, as would using pressure on a child to make them fast for Ramadan or Lent ('you will be grounded if you don't fast', etc.)

It would not be unlawful to give the child the option: 'do you want to go to church with us today?'

Views?

Scroll to see replies

If it was illegal to indoctrinate children then religion would cease to exist very soon.Its not by accident that most religous people share the same religion as their parents.
How are you going top monotor your master plan?
How are you going to enforce it?

Is the child going to take jis parents to court and get them locked up?
Cool idea. But you might as well get rid of parents altogether and just get the state to nanny everyone permanently.

This whole "religion is evil, I'm so cool because I realised that" thing is getting so old.
Dunno if its something that would be taken seriously by a parliament or government. Though, you'd think any decent human being would know that refusing their child dinner because they don't go to church is wrong.

My mother forces me to church on a Sunday morning, but I'm so done with it when I turn 18 (in a week actually). She would never have not fed me over it or anything, but she's openly admitted that she hopes I'll be converted in mass. She doesn't do it hatefully or anything, its just because she believes so strongly. :smile:
LOOL!

Well, I believe that it should be illegal for someone to be penalised, 'honor killed' etc for exploring life and maybe rejecting their religion. Everyone should have a voice, a choice and should have to justify or be forced.

HOWEVER, HOW would it be monitor or controlled?
IDK, people can get away with a lot of things these days so just leave things the way they are. People who want to stop being catholic, Muslim, Atheist will find a way if they want it deep enough/'the dangerous types' that will risk anything for what they want...

But I don't know, you can't really tell if people are forced or willingly following a way of life unless they say.
Unfortunately my political views are clear on that. Raising a child is left to the parents, including a possible religious upbringing.

Remember, it only takes one atheist child to break the cycle anyway.
No.

As it'd be almost impossible to enforce & give the state far too much power.

I think a lot of kids realise religion is BS by the time they reach secondary school. Perhaps faith schools at that level should be banned/regulated further to ensure that Theory of Evolution is trumpeted over Creationism.
No. I honestly do not know how that can be enforced. Are there going to be cameras placed into religious parents' homes, and cops keeping the look out for parents pressuring their children to fast?

Are the parents who are found guilty of this going to be hauled off to prison for pressuring little Jimmy for fasting , saying a goodnight's prayer, or *grasp* going to Sunday school?

If you don't believe in it nor being forced to believe in it yourself then really shouldn't concern you that deeply how a child who isn't relate to you or being care of by you is being taught a religion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
I'd be curious if by extension you'd also want to make it illegal if a child was punished for choosing a certain religion instead of being atheist?
It depends what you mean by force and how extreme the religion is.

Though I think male circumcision should be illegal. That should be a free choice made by an adult.
Reply 11
I would consider practices like you have described to be child abuse, it's not exactly easy to monitor though. In general I would not be comfortable with the state interfering with the raising of a child provided there is no abuse, much as I loathe religion.
image.jpeg
Original post by SmileyVibe
No. I honestly do not know how that can be enforced. Are there going to be cameras placed into religious parents' homes, and cops keeping the look out for parents pressuring their children to fast?

Are the parents who are found guilty of this going to be hauled off to prison for pressuring little Jimmy for fasting , saying a goodnight's prayer, or *grasp* going to Sunday school?

If you don't believe in it nor being forced to believe in it yourself then really shouldn't concern you that deeply how a child who isn't relate to you or being care of by you is being taught a religion.

Could say the same about child abuse both physical and sexual should we legalise that as we don't have cameras in parents' houses.As far as many people are concerned the religious indoctrination that many parents do is abuse and that a child should have freedom of religion and be allowed to follow their own religion and should be provided with information on all the faiths(schools need to change to cover all faiths including atheism equally currently non faith schools focus heavily on christian beliefs at least mine did).

Then the child will not be indoctrinated to believe a religion.Indoctrination is easier than you think just think how many of you once believed in Santa and the media i spreads propaganda successfully all the time.

I don't think its right that someone is just born a faith, which is what most religions seem to teach these days the choice of religion is up to the child.I would ban Sunday Schools and Faith Schools as they serve to try to ensure the indoctrination of children.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by niteninja1
---

Love that top left picture. Problem with the bottom right is surely lack of any wealth redistribution just creates greater and greater income inequality and poorer people have ever less freedoms and opportunities; I mean we have enough wealth inequality as it is...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
In theory, yes, but it is impossible to enforce such law without a totalitarian police.
A sensible and practical measure would be to ban all schools and all state-funded organisations (including those that receive tax relief as charities) from indoctrinating (or "educating" as they might call it) any child under 18 about any religion or other superstition, or for any individual to be employed for reward to do the same thing. Parents could be left to do it themselves, thus preserving religious freedom.

I'd also like to see a ban on religious organisations receiving any form of funding from abroad.
Reply 17
Original post by JohnGreek
Sorry, but that simply doesn't follow from the original line of reasoning. The main reason why one would try to limit parent's involvement is so that they can stop coercing their child to believe in the same way as they do.

How is refusing privileges if a child chose a religion, any different than refusing privileges if a child didn't choose a religion?
Original post by Grand High Witch
It would make it against the law to use force, coercion, undue influence or blackmail in order to make a child believe/practise a religion or ideology.

So, refusing a child dinner if they did not attend church would be unlawful, as would using pressure on a child to make them fast for Ramadan or Lent ('you will be grounded if you don't fast', etc.)

It would not be unlawful to give the child the option: 'do you want to go to church with us today?'

Views?

There's a lot of idiotic responses to this post.

I do believe that religious indoctrination is a coercive use of power by parents who want their children to abide by religious principles, but it is unrealistic to make illegal a parent having influence over the decisions their children choose to make.

I think the best way we can promulgate freedom of choice is to rid the country of faith schools and promote controversial talking points in religious studies classes. My best friend growing up was a Muslim, but having went to a comprehensive school and by not isolating himself from non-Muslims he developed into a science-loving atheist. Luckily, he comes from a tolerant family who are indifferent to his leaving Islam but that's much harder for other Muslims or minority groups. Nevertheless, if religious views are challenged in an academic environment and we don't appease religious tolerance because of political correctness then young people will develop into free-thinking individuals who don't acquiesce to their parents' demands.

This, however, won't happen. The left won't do it because they risk alienating the minority vote whom they rely heavily on, and the right won't do it because Christianity and religious leaders still play an influential in the Conservative Party.
Why they're forced to believe the shoa religion. I bet more Western children have been in their museums than churches.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending