The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Anyone done the abstract mini mock on Medify? Just did it and got 630 (33/55) and was really disappointed. It is really frustrating as looking back some of the patterns I had to guess were so obvious but as I was stressed I didnt get them :frown: Anyone have any abstract tips?
Original post by StationToStation
Yay so I'm waiting for the bus to get home from the test centre. I got

VR: 680
QR: 850
AR: 730
STJ: Band 1

I thought that VR and STJ were about the same level or even harder than in mocks, but QR and AR were a lot easier. There were a few hard questions thrown in but generally they were really simple. I had averaged 600-700 in mocks and when I sensed that the panic started to grip me in the exam and I couldn't think as clearly as usually, I was certain that my plans to apply to UKCAT heavy unis were scrapped. Getting the results sheet was a nice surprise :smile: oh and I used the ISC 1000Q, the Medic Portal online questions (tbh Medify is probably better) and the questions on the official UKCAT site. Good luck to everyone who hasn't done the exam yet!!

What is the medic portal like compared to the UKCAT? I have a medify subscription until 16th of August then was thinking about getting Medic Portal for the remainder of time.
Original post by raniafern
Precisely my point! It HAS to be an A.

It is clearly B because he can reassure the patient in that the doctor is doing everything he can to help the patient.
Original post by raniafern
Yup, that does make sense. But, what can the student do anyway?

You can't reassure the patient because that would be providing false hopes.

Perhaps it should be B, but then what would be an A?

He could try and diffuse the situation and talk to the patient about a completely different topic. He could also elaborate more, instead of just saying that he doesn't know.
Yay so I'm waiting for the bus to get home from the test centre. I got

VR: 680
QR: 850
AR: 730
STJ: Band 1

I thought that VR and STJ were about the same level or even harder than in mocks, but QR and AR were a lot easier. There were a few hard questions thrown in but generally they were really simple. I had averaged 600-700 in mocks and when I sensed that the panic started to grip me in the exam and I couldn't think as clearly as usually, I was certain that my plans to apply to UKCAT heavy unis were scrapped. Getting the results sheet was a nice surprise :smile: oh and I used the ISC 1000Q, the Medic Portal online questions (tbh Medify is probably better) and the questions on the official UKCAT site. Good luck to everyone who hasn't done the exam yet!!

Which mocks did you use.
Woo Wooo!! It's over!!

I got average 680 which I was really pleased about as have had to work my ass off

VR: 610 - everyone been saying the passages were longer than on Medify but I don't think they are I just think they are magnified quite a lot to fit the big computer screen, meaning they look longer than they are. VR obv not my strong point - I have always struggled with comprehension since the 11+ lol. I'd say same standard as Medify- maybe between Medify and ISC 600.

QR: 750 - was definitely the same standard as Medify with a few (4/5) questions which were hard

AR: 680 - same as Medify, some sets were really weird but most were fine

Please don't be put off by other people on this thread getting ridiculous scores! Anything in the 650 range is good enough!

Any questions, shout
Best of luck to everyone still to take theirs
Definitely purchase Medify if you have the funds, don't bother with a UKCAT course they are a waste of money IMO X
Original post by isabella1999
Anyone done the abstract mini mock on Medify? Just did it and got 630 (33/55) and was really disappointed. It is really frustrating as looking back some of the patterns I had to guess were so obvious but as I was stressed I didnt get them :frown: Anyone have any abstract tips?

I got exactly the same. Its really annoying because when I did the mock in my Kaplan book I got 730 and I thought I was improving.
Original post by Gogregg
For the statement questions, i would read the question and then make my best guess. Only then would i scan the text, so i could compare my answer, and usually, in the process of scanning i would find the correct answer if my guess was wrong. You never really actually have to fully read the passage :colondollar:

I think that it was a majority type 1 questions (which set does it belong to) but i can't really remember.

For QR there weren't any questions that were particularly difficult i thought, but with the time constraint and the awkward numbers you can sometimes get, it can be difficult.

Just remember in the exam to use the keyboard, whether it's for the calculator or for shortcuts. And don't be afraid to move onto a different question and to flag something!

Thanks for the advice, but whats the point of guessing at the start. Surely it wastes time? Also do you do A level maths (I'm wondering if this might help with QR).
Original post by Orlanda
Woo Wooo!! It's over!!

I got average 680 which I was really pleased about as have had to work my ass off

VR: 610 - everyone been saying the passages were longer than on Medify but I don't think they are I just think they are magnified quite a lot to fit the big computer screen, meaning they look longer than they are. VR obv not my strong point - I have always struggled with comprehension since the 11+ lol. I'd say same standard as Medify- maybe between Medify and ISC 600.

QR: 750 - was definitely the same standard as Medify with a few (4/5) questions which were hard

Please don't be put off by other people on this thread getting ridiculous scores! Anything in the 650 range is good enough!

Any questions, shout
Definitely purchase Medify if you have the funds, don't bother with a UKCAT course they are a waste of money IMO X

what did you get in the VR mini mock on medify?/ What percentages/scores were you getting on it for VR? Thanks a lot
Original post by Orlanda
Woo Wooo!! It's over!!

Any questions, shout

Firstly CONGRATS! Your score is amazing omg
but also ugh my QR and VR is terribleeeee on medify! You know with the actual exam, is there like lot of info and paragraphs in the QR questions? when im doing timed practice QR on Medify, it takes me forever to read the info they have given and then try and understand the graphs and tables and then understand how to do the questionnn.
And how would u say u were for timing in the VR section?? i suck at it :frown:((((
What is the medic portal like compared to the UKCAT? I have a medify subscription until 16th of August then was thinking about getting Medic Portal for the remainder of time.

I think that the questions are about as difficult as in the real thing, or slightly harder. The verbal reasoning sometimes has really short passages though. The questions are fine, but the main thing I dislike is the inconvenience of the platform. You can't go back, you can't use your keyboard for anything (the calculator, going forward etc) and it's hard to practise timing because you always get your results after one set/one question. They have 2 half mocks and 1 full mock which were pretty good.
Original post by Pra99
Which mocks did you use.

The one in the ISC book, the official ones and the ones in the Medic Portal. They only tell you how many you got right but I found a conversion sheet from google and used it to get a rough idea (although I know it probably wasn't super accurate).
The one in the ISC book, the official ones and the ones in the Medic Portal. They only tell you how many you got right but I found a conversion sheet from google and used it to get a rough idea (although I know it probably wasn't super accurate).

What kind of patterns were there in AR and what maths skills were tested in QR?
Original post by Pra99
What kind of patterns were there in AR and what maths skills were tested in QR?

Erm I'm sorry but I've forgotten most of it already, it went in such a whim! I guess I didn't have any type 4 questions in AR and the most were type 1. Two questions had a pattern where two shapes are always together. Many of them were conditional (eg circles inside same shape ---> they are white, circles inside two different shapes ---> one of them is grey). In QR there were a lot of percentages and distances/areas I had to work with, and most calculations had 2-4 steps.
Original post by Pra99
I got exactly the same. Its really annoying because when I did the mock in my Kaplan book I got 730 and I thought I was improving.

It is really annoying, and yeah me too. Hopefully that was just a hard test, when is your UKCAT? Hopefully we have time to improve
I think that the questions are about as difficult as in the real thing, or slightly harder. The verbal reasoning sometimes has really short passages though. The questions are fine, but the main thing I dislike is the inconvenience of the platform. You can't go back, you can't use your keyboard for anything (the calculator, going forward etc) and it's hard to practise timing because you always get your results after one set/one question. They have 2 half mocks and 1 full mock which were pretty good.

Okay that's good, better slightly harder than slightly easier. You can't use the keyboard for the calculator?! even on num lock? Damn. And that is quite annoying :frown: Ah well, I only really need it for more questions, pretty much drained medify at this point except the mocks.
Erm I'm sorry but I've forgotten most of it already, it went in such a whim! I guess I didn't have any type 4 questions in AR and the most were type 1. Two questions had a pattern where two shapes are always together. Many of them were conditional (eg circles inside same shape ---> they are white, circles inside two different shapes ---> one of them is grey). In QR there were a lot of percentages and distances/areas I had to work with, and most calculations had 2-4 steps.

2-4 steps? Wow, most people have been saying only about 1-2 steps. Also, are there any area equations that we need to know? Thanks for the advice btw.
Original post by Pra99
23rd August. I'm aiming for at least 2200 but I haven't been scoring high consistently yet.

Ahh mines 5th of September, and yeah me neither apart from in Verbal. Thought I was good at situational too but only got Band 2 in mock :frown: Been pretty chill about practising so far though, been doing 30 minutes- an hour each day. Need to up my game. Hopefully we have plenty of time.

I'm aiming for 700 plus in all three and band one in SJ, hopefully we manage it
I've asked for this to be moved to the Medicine forum - you'll find all sorts of threads and help available over there
Okay that's good, better slightly harder than slightly easier. You can't use the keyboard for the calculator?! even on num lock? Damn. And that is quite annoying :frown: Ah well, I only really need it for more questions, pretty much drained medify at this point except the mocks.

My laptop doesn't have the actual number pad so I have used the numbers that are on top of the letters and they didn't work in the medic portal, so yeah the calculator there is a complete pain! For more questions it should be a good resource though. I let myself use a normal calculator because I didn't want to become so frustrated that I'd throw my computer out of the window :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending