The Student Room Group

Panicking about GCSE English Literature and Language

Hello everyone,
So i'm currently in year 10 and will start Year 11 soon.
I'm fairly pleased with my progress in Year 10, however i'm aiming for A/A* in all of my subjects, which i think, with hard work, is achievable for me in all my subjects.
All of them.....
...Except English.
Oh gosh. I have not the slightest clue about English.

I'm currently working at a Grade 5. (New grades) And i must say, for me, that's quite the disappointment. It would be alright if i knew how to improve on it, but i really don't.
I used to be great at English but i'm rolling downhill now. I really don't know how to do anything. I try my best in my mocks and still get a 5 (Very close to a 6, but still). I have an absolutely terrible teacher who doesn't care about us at all. I don't know how to get those marks, I don't know good writing techniques or technical terms.
What should i do :frown:
Reply 1
i'll PM you
Original post by Sherlyyyn
Hello everyone,
So i'm currently in year 10
and will start Year 11 soon.
I'm fairly pleased with my progress in Year 10, however i'm aiming for A/A* in all of my subjects, which i think, with hard work, is achievable for me in all my subjects.
All of them.....
...Except English.

I'm currently working at a Grade 5. (New grades) And i must say, for me, that's quite the disappointment. It would be alright if i knew how to improve on it, but i really don't.
I used to be great at English but i'm rolling downhill now. I really don't know how to do anything. I try my best in my mocks and still get a 5 (Very close to a 6, but still). I have an absolutely terrible teacher who doesn't care about us at all. I don't know how to get those marks, I don't know good writing techniques or technical terms.

Look up Mr Bruff on youtube or search for your exam board and english on youtube ...there are loads of gcse english channels and theyre really good. I'd say mr bruff is the best though. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by iamayesha
Look up Mr Bruff on youtube or search for your exam board and english on youtube ...there are loads of gcse english channels and theyre really good. I'd say mr bruff is the best though. Hope this helps :smile:

Ah, yes. Mr Bruff really is helpful. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Sherlyyyn
Hello everyone,
So i'm currently in year 10 and will start Year 11 soon.
All of them.....
...Except English.

Hey!! I'm in the same situation as you, i'm somehow working at a 7 (no clue how) but really dont feel confident :frown: the exams are starting to make me panicky because we just wont know how we did with the exam being closed book and everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Vin57xd
Hey!! I'm in the same situation as you, i'm somehow working at a 7 (no clue how) but really dont feel confident :frown: the exams are starting to make me panicky because we just wont know how we did with the exam being closed book and everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, same. i can't believe we have to memorise everything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending