The Student Room Group

Why do people here hate Warwick so much? Is it bad?

On the "most prestigious universities" list people were getting mad that Warwick was being considered a top uni by some. And there were other threads too were Warwick just seems to get called out for having a high offer rate.

I know it's not as prestigious as the very very top unis but it's still pretty damn good for a lot of subjects. Even though it has a high offer rate, it's entry requirements are pretty high (A*AA for some courses) and it's generally great for career opportunities and stuff like that.

Scroll to see replies

Well if it's not Oxbridge and lSE/ICL, who cares about prestige? The people who diss Warwick are usually the same guys who think that UCL is prestigious.
Many people here are the A-A* students who go to the top unis so their view on Warwick is not surprising.

Don't even bother reading people's opinions on any uni on here. The ones which are not top 10 are ripped to shreds
I suppose some might not find university built in a field just outside Coverntry to be that appealing. Others disagree. I played in the Wind Orchestra there for a couple of years and despite finding the set up rather bizarre, you can't criticise the facilities there.
Original post by JohnGreek
TSR is the same with all non-Oxbridge unis - it's just a matter of how low you need to go before you think that a uni is not "prestigious". Some draw that line at Cambridge (because Oxford is only for those who didn't have the UMS to apply there, right?), some draw it at Oxbridge, others at Imperial/LSE, others at UCL/King's, other's at RG, and so on. Ignore them.

I know. Tsr is full of insecure kids who don't have anyone to be proud of in life other than the uni they go to.
Reply 5
Well, it's relatively new, and correspondingly carries less prestige/it's less big a "brand" (also it is uglier than a lot of other unis to be fair). Also it's in the middle of nowhere.

Original post by katherine9609
Many people here are the A-A* students who go to the top unis so their view on Warwick is not surprising.

Don't even bother reading people's opinions on any uni on here. The ones which are not top 10 are ripped to shreds

Warwick is top 10 though lel. It's one of the best institutions in the country for Maths and for Economics. It is packed with A*-A students.
I went to interview there. It sucks, Bristol is much nicer. It's the middle of nowhere, really soulless.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I went to interview there. It sucks, Bristol is much nicer. It's the middle of nowhere, really soulless.

Yeah Bristol does look really nice tbh
Full of Oxbridge rejects tho
Original post by cashcash871
I know. Tsr is full of insecure kids who don't have anyone to be proud of in life other than the uni they go to.

Yeah Bristol does look really nice tbh
Full of Oxbridge rejects tho

lol
Warwick just has no charm. Soulless is really pithy.
Original post by Athematica
lol

Lol I'm an Oxbridge reject too
Lol I'm an Oxbridge reject too

It's still funny :lol:
Warwick just has no charm. Soulless is really pithy.

Sorry, Lord Snooty......
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Sorry, Lord Snooty......

I'm not sure we're on the same page. I found your use of soulless fitting if pithy.
Original post by katherine9609

I'd like to think that someone who makes an A*A*A + STEP offer from Warwick would be considered an 'A-A*' student...
Reply 15
why.png
dat publicity
Of my friends that have gone to Warwick's more prestigious departments, I wonder what they have in their life beyond their school and career ambitions. Thats probably why I'm a little against Warwick and see it as something 'less' - because the people that I know who attend do so understanding they're moving to a concrete shell and will have such an existence solely to have decent career prospects, or they are so one-dimensional they chose it to pursue their subject over better-rounded universities that would be perfectly fine also without diminishing their experience so vastly as would happen just outside Coventry.

It's not that Warwick has no capacity to live beyond what is essentially a monastic 3-4 years towards your profession but in going there I think one signals clear priorities that I do indeed get "Snooty" about because I find it shallow and sad.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not sure we're on the same page. I found your use of soulless fitting if pithy.

Ah sorry. I just googled pithy, I take it to mean glib, but I was wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Of my friends that have gone to Warwick's more prestigious departments, I wonder what they have in their life beyond their school and career ambitions. Thats probably why I'm a little against Warwick and see it as something 'less' - because the people who attend do so understanding they're moving to a concrete shell and will have such an existence solely to have decent career prospects, or they are so one-dimensional they chose it to pursue their subject over better-rounded universities that would be perfectly fine also without diminishing their experience so vastly as would happen just outside Coventry.

It's not that Warwick has no capacity to live beyond what is essentially a monastic 3-4 years towards your profession but in going there I think one signals clear priorities that I do indeed get "Snooty" about because I find it shallow and sad.

Whoah chill out mate it's not a degree factory where everyone wanders around like robots. There are plenty of societies to get involved with, and if you wanna go out and get drunk at night, or party in your flat, you can, just like anywhere else. The workload is not as constricting as some imply either.
Warwick's pretty good,yeah

Latest

Trending

Trending