The Student Room Group

Durham or Warwick?

I want to go in to IB/Finance. I have offers of A*AA from both Durham and Warwick for Economics, for which I know Warwick is a more targeted university - yet I much preferred Durham as a university.
If anyone could guide me, this would be really helpful as I need to make my choices soon. I'm also after a particular statistic, the % of Durham/Warwick Econ grads making over £38k and the amount in banking?

Thanks,CasioBose
Go to whichever you prefer. It's you, not your university, that matters when you apply for a job- speaking from experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
check out whatuni.com
Most importantly, due to the fact that both are obviously top universities and brilliant courses, choose the university where you can see yourself studying and simultaneously enjoying the experience.

Durham is notably much more prestigious and traditional, with a high percentage of students from public school. Hence you'll naturally make more (and better) connections there. Durham also has a high standard of pretty much every sport, so if you want to get involved in sport as well, Durham is your best option.

From numerous 1st connections, Durham grads have the work-hard, play-hard attitude, whereas studying at Warwick is very much work, work, work and not a lot of fun.

Moreover, from my experience, I've met/know of a lot more Durham grads working in investment banking and finance than I do Warwick grads. (Of course, that's not to say there aren't many Warwick graduates in IB etc.).

Whilst it is important to note that if you are the right applicant, you will get the job, it is also worth remembering that choosing the right university for you moulds/transforms you into a better applicant than before from your studies, societies and sporting experiences over the 3/4 years.

The choice is down to you! Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Enzo Ferrari
Most importantly, due to the fact that both are obviously top universities and brilliant courses, choose the university where you can see yourself studying and simultaneously enjoying the experience.

Durham is notably much more prestigious and traditional, with a high percentage of students from public school. Hence you'll naturally make more (and better) connections there. Durham also has a high standard of pretty much every sport, so if you want to get involved in sport as well, Durham is your best option.

From numerous 1st connections, Durham grads have the work-hard, play-hard attitude, whereas studying at Warwick is very much work, work, work and not a lot of fun.

Moreover, from my experience, I've met/know of a lot more Durham grads working in investment banking and finance than I do Warwick grads. (Of course, that's not to say there aren't many Warwick graduates in IB etc.).

Whilst it is important to note that if you are the right applicant, you will get the job, it is also worth remembering that choosing the right university for you moulds/transforms you into a better applicant than before from your studies, societies and sporting experiences over the 3/4 years.

The choice is down to you! Good luck.

This is not biased at all..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending