The Student Room Group

Do you buy your books or do you use the library

I have so much that I need to read, however books are so expensive ffs. It would be nice to buy some books, so I could highlight them (useful for History, and books about self development.)

Also AudioBooks on Audible are so flipping expensive.

Its not fair :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you tried Google Scholar I found free copies of some books on their which I've been able to print. I also found free copies online when I googled them, it's worth a try I think.
You can get some decent stuff really cheap on amazon if you buy the used ones. The slightly more niche interest books (philosophy stuff by Nietzsche for example) you can get for under a quid + postage
Charity shops are absolutely brilliant for finding books
I am approaching library for books
Charity shops are amazing for discount books - I have an Oxfam book shop and because it only sells books, they have so much available for a fraction of the original price (i got a lovely History book about Soviet Communism for £3 the other day)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Charity shops are amazing for discount books - I have an Oxfam book shop in my town and because it only sells books, they have so much available for a fraction of the original price (i got a lovely History book about Soviet Communism for £3 the other day)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
I buy my books, I couldn't be bothered with libraries. I tend to be real slow at finding motivation to read books most of the time. So I would fail at reading a book for a certain time before I had to bring it back.

I don't get preowned books that often. But I would if I were to buy more than 2 books. I usually get books that are over £7 2nd hand or if it's a short novel but over £5 I'll buy it 2nd hand too.
Buy em. Simple as. 👍🏼
Reply 9
I always buy mine. If funds are a problem there are discount book websites that you can try such as this. Often you can also find "like new" books on Amazon secondhand for 1p, you just have to pay delivery :smile:
Personally for me i love at my local library, so much so that i'm a senior volunteer there.
as much as i would love to buy all the books that i read, i have run out of space in my room as all my bookcases are full and i still have books in boxes.

what i try to do is i choose carefully what i want to keep for myself and either buy or request as gifts from family and friends
I use Wikipedia and YouTube
I buy my own books and comics.

I do everything to avoid the evil librarian at my school. :lol: Plus, I like to have my own collection of books that I can choose from at any time.
Original post by TimidPhoenix
I buy my own books and comics.

I do everything to avoid the evil librarian at my school. :lol: Plus, I like to have my own collection of books that I can choose from at any time.

Same here, that darnnnnnn evil witch that haunts the library screaming "GET OUUUUUUUT!" The second students get in to work on their breaks 😂
Reply 14
Buy books? What is this?

Borrow from the library for free and return when done. No clutter and no need to sell it
Im very thankful for libraries. I would have ended up broke otherwise, or ignorant :smile:
Original post by SuperHuman98
I have so much that I need to read, however books are so expensive ffs. It would be nice to buy some books, so I could highlight them (useful for History, and books about self development.)

Also AudioBooks on Audible are so flipping expensive.

Its not fair :frown:

Use libraries as much as possible! Try more than one in your local area. But for books that are hard to find Amazon used books are really cheap and good quality.
I used to buy a lot of books from charity shops and the occasional one new, but eventually I ended up with a lot of clutter and several books that I never read. I stopped reading altogether for a couple of years as I focused on studies and got more into films/TV shows, but now I'm back into reading again - I get books from the library. I find that having a deadline by when I have to return them motivates me more to read the book in that time. I don't like returning library books without reading them, lol. If I own a book, it takes me longer to finish it. :s-smilie:
Buy books and use the library. Amazon used books is a great way of getting books very cheap (for £2.81 usually!). Also I get some on my kindle.
I use the library but at my university I get all the books I need at the start of the year for free. I wouldn't pay for books if I'm honest, I'd rather use the library. University is expensive as it is anyway.

I don't want the hassle to buy the book then selling it etc. However, if I was desperate to buy a book I'd buy a used one of Amazon.

For one of my modules, the lecturer put a PDF of the book on Moodle! Such a life saver :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending