The Student Room Group

Just lost my job :(

I was looking for a job the last 1 year and made like 7 applications. I managed to get in to this job at a bakery 3 weeks ago and it was quite well payed (£7 a hour) and now the bakery has had to close due to outstanding debts!

Should I give up on hunting another job, it's just so hard to find them in my area and most of them offer crap pay and I really don't want to be looking around for another year :/.
At age 30 Steve Jobs got fired from the company that he created, he felt like he let down his generation of entrepenaurs. However, he then went on to create a company called NEXT, and he also created Pixar who then created Toy Story.

So dont give up b
You made SEVEN applications in A YEAR? Yes, you should keep applying and you should apply to more than seven jobs. Now you have experience you should find it easier anyway.
Reply 3
You do realise that thousands of people go through this stage? So what if you've lost your job? Carry on job hunting. DON'T stop. :smile: Or if you don't want to work, maybe consider going back into education, if you want to keep yourself busy? And also apply for voluntary jobs if you want.

Other way to make money:

-Sell items on Depop, Ebay, Etsy
-Go 'round to your neighbourhood and aks if they need their Dogs walking/clean their garden
-Bake Cakes/Make cards/Design your own clothes/Knit Scarves and gloves for the winter season and sell them
-Take up photography or Graphic Design and use that for Freelancing work?
-Make Youtube Videos
-Become an online shopper/reviewer (you'll have to google it and see how it work, i'm not too sure about it.)
-Do Paper/Catalogue rounds?
-Wash Cars or Windows
-Design your own lip sticks/coloured lip balms (vaseline/cocoa butter on a spoon, get an eyeshadow and melt. put it into a small plastic tub and wait for it to harden up. :smile: )
-Go fishing and sell fishes? (Not sure if that's allowed, but again, google is your bff)
-Design tote bags/shirts online and sell them

I honestly cannot think of anything else, sorry. Hope that helped.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
I was looking for a job the last 1 year and made like 7 applications. I managed to get in to this job at a bakery 3 weeks ago and it was quite well payed (£7 a hour) and now the bakery has had to close due to outstanding debts!

Should I give up on hunting another job, it's just so hard to find them in my area and most of them offer crap pay and I really don't want to be looking around for another year :/.

Start your own business
Reply 6
Original post by doodle_333
You made SEVEN applications in A YEAR? Yes, you should keep applying and you should apply to more than seven jobs. Now you have experience you should find it easier anyway.

I live in a place with a lack of vacancies and a high competition for jobs. I also don't want to apply to a minimum wage job as it would not be worth the money.
Reply 7
Original post by Hashtosh302
Start your own business

I had at one point but no one would take my offerings of work.
Reply 8
If you were motivated to make 7 application you should be motivated to make a few more. I say go on and apply. You've nothing to lose :smile:
You've only applied to seven jobs within the span of a year, that's not many applications so I wouldn't be disheartened about the nos. Keep your chin up and keep applying. The odds of getting a successful application should increase as you apply to more jobs.
It's tough mate. Keep trying. Are you studying and looking to work as well?*
Reply 11
I just decided to post a babysitter ad online.

I wonder if that will workout with it been summer holidays?
I live in a place with a lack of vacancies and a high competition for jobs. I also don't want to apply to a minimum wage job as it would not be worth the money.

I assume from your username you just sat GCSEs? Either way it sounds like you have little work experience and unfortunately if you don't have competitive skills you need to take what you can get wage wise, most people start out on minimum wage. I would apple to minimum age jobs and see how you get on, you can aim for those posts to be a stepping stone to a better paid job when you have more experience.

I just decided to post a babysitter ad online.

I wonder if that will workout with it been summer holidays?

TBH I doubt many people will want a random stranger (especially at your age) watching their kids. Most people would go with someone they know or a professional who is DBS checked etc.
Original post by doodle_333

I agree

Im not being funny, but there are a lot of minimum wage/ lower wage jobs. Dont be so snobbish and apply for them. At least its a start. And a lot of places offer pay rises after x, y, z amount of time if you are decent at the job.
If you've managed it once you can again. Seven applications is seriously not that many. It's largely a numbers game - keep applying (1-4 per day) and you'll get something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending