The Student Room Group

Most famous person you've ever met?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RickmanAlways
Isnt Her Royal Highness?

Original post by Napp
Indeed it can stand for [His/Her] Royal highness albeit it is nominally meant to be used for less senior members than the Monarch.

Then why did you use it for Her Majesty? And why did you say "the HRH"?

Royal Highness is an address for British princes and princesses, including HRH The Prince of Wales.
Jonathan Ross
Shane Richie
Ed Miliband
Mark Sheppard

:biggrin:
Reply 102
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Then why did you use it for Her Majesty? And why did you say "the HRH"?

Royal Highness is an address for British princes and princesses, including HRH The Prince of Wales.

Lets start with the really easy one.. she is a 'her' and a 'royal highness'.
second it is common to use HRH for lesser ranked royals it is not a rule though.
lastly because it's easier.
unfortunately, david cameron
Matt baker and kirsten o'brien
Alex Zane did a small comedy show at my uni comedy club in freshers.
Original post by Napp
Lets start with the really easy one.. she is a 'her' and a 'royal highness'.
second it is common to use HRH for lesser ranked royals it is not a rule though.
lastly because it's easier.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

The style is "Majesty" ever since the days of Henry VIII (before that, it was "Grace" which is now for dukes and duchesses), and neither "majesty" nor "royal highness" are nouns that can be used to class people. Ever if you really were just using it that way, it would still have just been "British royal Elizabeth" instead of "the HRH Queen Elizabeth" which was also grammatically incorrect.

Yes, it is a rule - anyone can request to be called "Majesty" or "Royal Highness" but only kings and queens are recognized by the state. You can go change your passport that way and it will say the title isn't recognized by the government. What you did was equivalent to calling the President of the United States Governor Obama. Hey, he governs, right?

Easier? HM has two characters, HRH has three. In fact, "H" and "M" are closer together on the keyboard.

You were just being ignorant.
Keaton Henson and Ren Ford, after an event of theirs - I LOVE their music so I couldn't stop smiling afterwards.*

Jonathan Freeman, in a bar in Camden.
Reply 108
This makes no sense whatsoever.

The style is "Majesty" ever since the days of Henry VIII (before that, it was "Grace" which is now for dukes and duchesses), and neither "majesty" nor "royal highness" are nouns that can be used to class people. Ever if you really were just using it that way, it would still have just been "British royal Elizabeth" instead of "the HRH Queen Elizabeth" which was also grammatically incorrect.

Yes, it is a rule - anyone can request to be called "Majesty" or "Royal Highness" but only kings and queens are recognized by the state. You can go change your passport that way and it will say the title isn't recognized by the government. What you did was equivalent to calling the President of the United States Governor Obama. Hey, he governs, right?

Easier? HM has two characters, HRH has three. In fact, "H" and "M" are closer together on the keyboard.

You were just being ignorant.

No, i'm being lazy. You're being a fastidious oik.

Let's get one thing very clear whilst it is common place for HRH to refer to lower members in the order of precedense people can and do use the title to refer to the Monarch. Just as people use the word humungous and irregardless are heinous words to use, they still are.
Original post by Napp
No, i'm being lazy. You're being a fastidious oik.

Let's get one thing very clear whilst it is common place for HRH to refer to lower members in the order of precedense people can and do use the title to refer to the Monarch. Just as people use the word humungous and irregardless are heinous words to use, they still are.

Yes, you're being lazy. So lazy you wouldn't open your mind to learn things. And you can't even spell precedence or humongous.

If you google "Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth", all you can find are newspaper articles saying how it's wrong, not any example of commoner using it.

And on that, by your logic, it's perfectly fine to say the Sun revolves around the Earth, that evolution is a lie, that the universe has existed for only 7000 years, that homosexuality is a modern western human invention, and that the Earth is flat because "people do believe them".

It's wrong and there's no way you can defend its use. Yes, some people use that, but those are uneducated, ignorant people. And you are one of them. Except most of them probably won't share your anti-knowledge attitude.
Keith Lemon and Daley Thompson at Adidas big breakfast for the London 2012 torch relay... Keith was a great guy and so talkative and Daley was a complete gentleman
Reply 111
Yes, you're being lazy. So lazy you wouldn't open your mind to learn things. And you can't even spell precedence or humongous.

If you google "Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth", all you can find are newspaper articles saying how it's wrong, not any example of commoner using it.

And on that, by your logic, it's perfectly fine to say the Sun revolves around the Earth, that evolution is a lie, that the universe has existed for only 7000 years, that homosexuality is a modern western human invention, and that the Earth is flat because "people do believe them".

It's wrong and there's no way you can defend its use. Yes, some people use that, but those are uneducated, ignorant people. And you are one of them. Except most of them probably won't share your anti-knowledge attitude.

I never said that now did I.
Oh heaven forbid I use a u instead of an o. It does speak to your arguement if you have to resort to cheap spelling errors :rolleyes: But on that note its 'a commoner' not 'of commoner'.
Yes because that arguement is completely the same? You know there's a wee difference between scientific fact which in this instance is immutable and the use of a language which is ever changing.
Oh you are a drole little person aren't you :rolleyes:
Paul Merson , Peter Odemwingie and Kane (WWE)
One time Boris Johnson came to our shopping centre and another time the woman who played Molly in sherlock (I can't remember her name) had a conversation with me about the series
Matt Baker, Alex Jones, Eddie Izzard, Barack Obama in the Oval Office!!!!, Terry Deary (Horrible Histories), Hugh Dennis (Outnumbered) and I saw one direction in a car if that counts....

Quick Reply

Latest