The Student Room Group

British Olympian Guess Who: Which Olympian competed in which discipline?

British Olympian Guess Who!
Rio Olympics Games 2016

It worked really well for Mental Health Awareness Week so we decided to bring 'Guess Who' back for the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics and it'll be back for more special occasions when they happen!

The 10 Olympians have all competed in the Olympics for Great Britain in their respective sports but can you guess which Olympian competed in which event? In no particular order these are; Weighlifting, Badmington, Cycling, Swimming, Gymnastics, Sailing, Rowing and Track & Field

Bonus points on offer if you can name the exact disciplines for each of them! (Answers will be revealed in a few days!)

1) Denise Lewis - Won a bronze medal in her first Olympics in the 1996 Atlanta games and followed this up with a gold in Sydney four years later. She was the runner up in 1998 and 2000 BBC Sports Personality of the Year and held the British and Commonwealth record in July 2000. In which event did she win gold and hold this record?

2) Sir Chris Hoy - 11 times a World Champion and the most successful British Olympian ever after a further 2 gold medals in London 2012 brought his tally to 6 golds and 1 silver. In which discipline did he achieve this legendary status?

3) Beth Tweddle - After awfully missing out on a medal in Beijing 2008, she knew there was unfinished business for London 2012; she's a 3 time World Champion and got her just rewards for persevering with a bronze in 2012 in which sport?

4) Sir Ben Ainslie - He was the first person to carry the Olympic torch on it's tour of the United Kingdom and an 8 time World Champion - yes EIGHT, he's one of the all time greats in his field. With a total of 5 Olympic medals - including a gold in London 2012, he competes in which discipline?

5) Dame Kelly Holmes - Only the third person ever to get a double gold medal in the events she took part in at the Athens 2004 Olympics and the first British double gold medalist (at the time of her accomplishments) since 1920. She was given the honour of carrying the British flag at the closing ceremony at the games. In which events did she do the double?

6) Launceston Elliot - Great Britain's first ever gold medal Olympian in the 1894 Athens Games. He finished last in the rope climbing competition; this was part of the gymnastics programme and didn't pass through the first round of the two events he competed in. In what sport did he get his gold and silver medal in however?

7) Rebecca Adlington - The first British athlete to win two gold medals in her discipline since 1908 and shares the distinction of being GB's most decorated female athlete with the rower Katherine Grainger. She competed in Beijing and London in which discipline?

8) Sir Steve Redgrave - He competed in 5 consecutive Olympic Games from Los Angeles in 1984 to Sydney 2000 and won a gold medal in each! Sir Steve won the 'BBC Sports Lifetime Achievement Award' in 2011 and was one of the final torch bearers in the London 2012 games. In which event did he did achieve illustrious status in?

9) Gail Emms - One of the more lesser known British Olympians but still won a silver medal in the Athens 2004 games. She was World Champion in 2006 which took place in Madrid and appointed as an MBE in 2009. In which sport did she find this success?

10) Greg Rutherford - Part of Super Saturday (1:30 to 1:57); arguably the finest night ever in British athletics. Two post boxes were painted gold in recognition of his achievement on the evening of August 4th. He is currently the British record holder and World Champion in which event?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
1) Denise Lewis- Track and field (i think heptathlon)
2) Sir Chris Hoy - Cycling
3) Beth Tweddle - swimming
4) Ben Ainslie - Sailing
5) Dame Kelly Holmes - Track and field (runner i think)
6) Launceston Elliot - No idea
7) Rebecca Adlington - Swimming
8) Sir Steve Redgrave- Rowing
9) Gail Emms - Don't know this one but I am going to guess badminton as I don't think this is any of the others
10) Greg Rutherford - Track and field (long jump) one of my faves!
Reply 2
Borrowing @randdom's list!

1) Denise Lewis- Athletics - we aren't american :wink: (heptathlon)
2) Sir Chris Hoy -Track Cycling
3) Beth Tweddle - Artistic Gymnastics
4) Ben Ainslie - Sailing (Finn)
5) Dame Kelly Holmes - Athletics (800m)
6) Launceston Elliot - Boxing
7) Rebecca Adlington - Swimming
8) Sir Steve Redgrave - Rowing (Coxless Four)
9) Gail Emms - Badminton (Mixed doubles)
10) Greg Rutherford - Athletics (long jump)
Original post by Deyesy
British Olympian Guess Who!
Rio Olympics Games 2016

It worked really well for Mental Health Awareness Week so we decided to bring 'Guess Who' back for the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics and it'll be back for more special occasions when they happen!

The 10 Olympians have all competed in the Olympics for Great Britain in their respective sports but can you guess which Olympian competed in which event? In no particular order these are; Weighlifting, Badmington, Cycling, Swimming, Gymnastics, Sailing, Rowing and Track & Field

Bonus points on offer if you can name the exact disciplines for each of them! (Answers will be revealed in a few days!)

1) Denise Lewis - Won a bronze medal in her first Olympics in the 1996 Atlanta games and followed this up with a gold in Sydney four years later. She was the runner up in 1998 and 2000 BBC Sports Personality of the Year and held the British and Commonwealth record in July 2000. In which event did she win gold and hold this record?

2) Sir Chris Hoy - 11 times a World Champion and the most successful British Olympian ever after a further 2 gold medals in London 2012 brought his tally to 6 golds and 1 silver. In which discipline did he achieve this legendary status?

3) Beth Tweddle - After awfully missing out on a medal in Beijing 2008, she knew there was unfinished business for London 2012; she's a 3 time World Champion and got her just rewards for persevering with a bronze in 2012 in which sport?

4) Ben Ainslie - He was the first person to carry the Olympic torch on it's tour of the United Kingdom and an 8 time World Champion - yes EIGHT, he's one of the all time greats in his field. With a total of 5 Olympic medals - including a gold in London 2012, he competes in which discipline?

5) Dame Kelly Holmes - Only the third person ever to get a double gold medal in the events she took part in at the Athens 2004 Olympics and the first British double gold medalist (at the time of her accomplishments) since 1920. She was given the honour of carrying the British flag at the closing ceremony at the games. In which events did she do the double?

6) Launceston Elliot - Great Britain's first ever gold medal Olympian in the 1894 Athens Games. He finished last in the rope climbing competition; this was part of the gymnastics programme and didn't pass through the first round of the two events he competed in. In what sport did he get his gold and silver medal in however?

7) Rebecca Adlington - The first British athlete to win two gold medals in her discipline since 1908 and shares the distinction of being GB's most decorated female athlete with the rower Katherine Grainger. She competed in Beijing and London in which discipline?

8) Sir Steve Redgrave - He competed in 5 consecutive Olympic Games from Los Angeles in 1984 to Sydney 2000 and won a gold medal in each! Sir Steve won the 'BBC Sports Lifetime Achievement Award' in 2011 and was one of the final torch bearers in the London 2012 games. In which event did he did achieve illustrious status in?

9) Gail Emms - One of the more lesser known British Olympians but still won a silver medal in the Athens 2004 games. She was World Champion in 2006 which took place in Madrid and appointed as an MBE in 2009. In which sport did she find this success?

10) Greg Rutherford - Part of Super Saturday (1:30 to 1:57); arguably the finest night ever in British athletics. Two post boxes were painted gold in recognition of his achievement on the evening of August 4th. He is currently the British record holder and World Champion in which event?

Track & Field - heptathlon

Cycling

Gymnastics

Sailing

Track & Field - 800 metres and 1500 metres

I'm guessing Weightlifting

Swimming - 400 metre and 800 metre freestyle

Rowing

I'm guessing Badminton

Track & Field - long jump

1) Denise Lewis- Track and field - heptathlon
2) Sir Chris Hoy - Cycling (track cycling - various)
3) Beth Tweddle - Gymnastics (asym. bars)
4) Ben Ainslie - Sailing (I think he did a couple of different boat classes, but I think one was laser)
5) Dame Kelly Holmes - Track and field - 800m and 1500m
6) Launceston Elliot - Weightlifting
7) Rebecca Adlington - Swimming (800m and I think 400m freestyle)
8) Sir Steve Redgrave- Rowing (various over the years, including the pairs and coxless fours)
9) Gail Emms - Badminton (mixed doubles with Nathan Robertson)
10) Greg Rutherford - Track and field - long jump

Edit: just edited to add in the swimming stroke used :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
People have two more days to get their guesses in! :colone: I'll post the answers after my 2nd exam on Friday evening :h:
Reply 6
Okay. Answers coming at 7pm! Gives 40 minutes for anymore last minute entries :tongue:
Reply 7
Answers are being typed up now and the medal ceremony will happen straight after :h:
Reply 8

Spoiler

I didn’t know what else to call it but ‘Track and Field’ as technically every Olympian is an athlete :lol:

1) Denise Lewis - I really have no idea what's she's presently doing with her hair as being part of the BBC athletics team but you all got it right with 'track and field' and everyone got the bonus point on offer for guessing that was the heptathlon she competed in!

2) Sir Chris Hoy - One of the easiest on this list; was Britian's most decorated Olympian until Bradley Wiggins' gold yesterday in the men's team pursuit. Everyone got it right with 'cycling' but I'm going to award jneill and RK a bonus point each for being it being track cycling.

3) Beth Tweddle - Heartbreak in Beijing for Beth but no heartbreak for jneill, Sapphire123 and RK who guessed correctly she got her bronze in 'gymnastics' and RK gets the bonus point on offer for guessing correctly that her speciality was the uneven bars.

4) Sir Ben Ainslie - A slightly triggery one I thought but you all negated the waters well by guessing it correctly that his discipline is indeed sailing. 0.5 of a point each to both jneill and RK for guessing he competed in the finn and laser class.

5) Dame Kelly Holmes - Spectacularly won a double gold in Athens in 'track and field' with everyone achieving at least one gold by getting this right. Both Sapphire and RK achieving the same feat by guessing correctly it was the double in the 800m and 1500m! A silver medal goes to jneill for guessing that the 800m was one of her events.

6) Launceston Elliot - Both Sapphire and RK got this right by guessing correctly that GB's first ever gold medal came in weightlifting. (How things have changed in present times!)

7) Rebecca Adlington - She now might be more famous for being a bit touchy feely with Mark Foster (the swimming hosting team have been fantastic imho) but she won double gold in 'swimming' but specfically in the 400m and 800m freestyle and won two bronzes in the same events in London. Bonus points again awarded to Sapphire and RK!

8) Sir Steve Redgrave - A really easy one this given he is one of the absolute all time greats. Everyone got this right, it is of course 'rowing!' Jneill gets a bonus point for guessing that two of his golds came in the 'coxless four' whilst RK gets two bonus points for getting both the 'ccoxless pair' and 'coxless fours'

9) Gail Emms - One of the lesser known Olympians on the list but everyone again got it right with 'badminton' with jneill and RK getting the bonus points on offer for correctly guessing she got her silver medal in the 'mixed doubles' event. Even more impressive is RK's knowledge of who her partner was!

10) Greg Rutherford - Last but not least is Greg Rutherford! He nearly didn't pass into the final of his event last night (I stayed up to watch it :tongue:) but everyone passed into the final of this guess with 'track and field!' A four way tie for gold medal on this answer for Randdom, Sapphire, jneill and RK as he did indeed get Olympic gold on 'Super Saturday' in the 'long Jump.'
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
I'll work out the medals in a moment :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Deyesy
I'll work out the medals in a moment :smile:

W00t! Good work Deyesy.

And how many bonus points do we get for not googling :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
W00t! Good work Deyesy.

And how many bonus points do we get for not googling :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I find out RK googled his answers (or anyone else for that matter), there will be immediate and severe consequences! :fuhrer:
Original post by Deyesy
If I find out RK googled his answers (or anyone else for that matter), there will be immediate and severe consequences! :fuhrer:

he won't have, unfortunately for me he is obsessed! It makes up 75% or our conversations at the moment*
Reply 13
Original post by randdom
he won't have, unfortunately for me he is obsessed! It makes up 75% or our conversations at the moment*

Fair play then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, sadly no googling. This useless knowledge is just stuck in my brain :tongue:

And apart from the weightlifting guy and the first 2 or 3 or Sir Steve Redgrave's medals I think I remember all of them being won :frown:
Original post by RK
No, sadly no googling. This useless knowledge is just stuck in my brain :tongue:

And apart from the weightlifting guy and the first 2 or 3 or Sir Steve Redgrave's medals I think I remember all of them being won :frown:

You're not alone. I've watched them all from Atlanta onwards.

I'm waiting for the more obscure Olympians like Jason Queally or Dean Macey.
Reply 16
Original post by randdom

RK's conversations sound awesome, not gonna lie :tongue:

Original post by RK

Given the weightlifting guy was in 1894, I'd of been surprised if you could remember that :lol:
Original post by Deyesy
RK's conversations sound awesome, not gonna lie :tongue:

Given the weightlifting guy was in 1894, I'd of been surprised if you could remember that :lol:

Do you want to come and take my place then :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest