The Student Room Group

How am I supposed to pay the first installment?

I'm an EU undergraduate student and I want to have some things cleared up. So the thing is, I've applied to Bucks New Uni and have chosen Student Halls as my place of accommodation for the first year- my moving date is 19th of September.

I've chosen to pay my rent in instalments - the thing is, the whole year costs me around 4200 pounds to stay from September until July. But my first instalment is around 1100 pounds, with minus 300 of deposit and it's due on 10th of October.

I have about 3 weeks from moving day until that date. I can imagine I will not be able to find a job quickly enough and even if I would find something, I'm afraid I will not be able to repay 1100 pounds in just 3 weeks.

Can anyone explain how is anyone supposed to pay that?
Original post by Tokarief
I'm an EU undergraduate student and I want to have some things cleared up. So the thing is, I've applied to Bucks New Uni and have chosen Student Halls as my place of accommodation for the first year- my moving date is 19th of September.

I've chosen to pay my rent in instalments - the thing is, the whole year costs me around 4200 pounds to stay from September until July. But my first instalment is around 1100 pounds, with minus 300 of deposit and it's due on 10th of October.

I have about 3 weeks from moving day until that date. I can imagine I will not be able to find a job quickly enough and even if I would find something, I'm afraid I will not be able to repay 1100 pounds in just 3 weeks.

Have the money before the start of term! Start saving now!
It seems a risky strategy to rely on getting a job to be able to pay your uni accommodation. You wouldnt earn that amount in 3 weeks anyway.
Maybe you can arrange a bank loan, but it would need to be from a bank in your home country as the banks here arent intersted in giving loans to non UK students.
Reply 3
I do have some money, about 400 pounds (calculating from my currency.). I will earn about the same amount, since I'm going to work tomorrow, but I'm afraid it still won't be enough, and I gotta eat.

Do I REALLY have to pay the full 1200 pounds on the 10th of October?
Tbf captivated has point i should have made. talk to them asap , explain the situation and see if you can agree a compromise.

You need to work out how much you will have because it looks like only £800 and you need living expenses from that as well?
Reply 5
After a couple of emails with my accommodation office, they've proposed to set up a plan of 10 monthly repayments, which is much more appealing for me. I think I've averted the crisis at last :smile:

NOTE TO ALL PEOPLE, WHO ARE WORRYING:
Do not be afraid to talk with your accommodation service or university, if there are any issues - you have no idea how much would they help you.
What are you studying at Bucks Uni? I'm going into my second year there.
Reply 7
Original post by Seamus123
What are you studying at Bucks Uni? I'm going into my second year there.

I'm doing International Travel and Tourism Management.
I'm doing International Travel and Tourism Management.

I hope you enjoy it. I'm doing Criminology. Good luck.

Hello :smile:

I'm sorry that I'm a little late to this post but it occurs to me, have you not applied for Student Finance to help you fund your time at university?

You are relying heavily on getting a job as soon as you arrive and saving up that amount of money in a very short amount of time - baring in mind you'd need to work full time to earn that kind of money and you couldn't swing that with your course at the same time. Also, attempting to get a job in a student city can be very difficult.

It's good that, after emailing your university, they've proposed something to help you.

I hope you work it out, best of luck! :biggrin:
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:

I'm sorry that I'm a little late to this post but it occurs to me, have you not applied for Student Finance to help you fund your time at university?

You are relying heavily on getting a job as soon as you arrive and saving up that amount of money in a very short amount of time - baring in mind you'd need to work full time to earn that kind of money and you couldn't swing that with your course at the same time. Also, attempting to get a job in a student city can be very difficult.

It's good that, after emailing your university, they've proposed something to help you.

I hope you work it out, best of luck! :biggrin:

EU undergraduates aren't eligible for the maintainance loan....
Original post by jelly1000

I apologise for my oversight on this issue.
Original post by jelly1000

My boyfriend is an eu undergraduate.. he had maintenance loan of £4000 though. So idk
Original post by Laranette
My boyfriend is an eu undergraduate.. he had maintenance loan of £4000 though. So idk

Was he a migrant worker or child of a migrant worker? They are eligible to apply but otherwise sounds like student finance made a mistake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending