The Student Room Group

Do you have a proper career plan?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Yeah.

My career plan/report is ~25-30 pages long, including notes from networking sessions, day in the life accounts, career paths, back up/contingency plans, compensation information, tips/advice for applying and interviewing, job profiles, exit opps, key firms/employers etc.. Covers a few career paths in depth and I've been building it up since I was 14-15.

I've been pretty set on my career options for ages now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bruh...
That is the most preparation I've ever heard of. 25 pages?? Damn...
Something in finance, still not fully sure
Yeah.

My career plan/report is ~25-30 pages long, including notes from networking sessions, day in the life accounts, career paths, back up/contingency plans, compensation information, tips/advice for applying and interviewing, job profiles, exit opps, key firms/employers etc.. Covers a few career paths in depth and I've been building it up since I was 14-15.

I've been pretty set on my career options for ages now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Come on... not even a little sneak peek?I think we're all wondering what this career plan looks like :smile:
Original post by Ladbants
Come on... not even a little sneak peek?I think we're all wondering what this career plan looks like :smile:

This

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Got a few plans, but willing to update/revise them once I discover more jobs/options at uni.
Original post by Trapz99
Well I have an idea of what careers appeal to me. Trading at a bank (preferably in derivatives products) has been the dream for a while. My plan is to try to get into a targeted uni, keep doing extracurriculars, continue to network with traders at career events and on LinkedIn to gain more knowledge of the trading world and apply to spring week internships which I'll hopefully convert into a summer internship and then a graduate scheme position.

However, I'm still not completely set on the trading career but I'm pretty much set on working in the banking/financial services industry. I'm also considering the actuarial field which is what I originally planned to do before I found out about S&T.

Nah don't bother with actuarial... my cousins works as an actuary and it seems like the world's most boring, **** job. Honestly, you're better off working at a call centrr
Original post by squish562
Nah don't bother with actuarial... my cousins works as an actuary and it seems like the world's most boring, **** job. Honestly, you're better off working at a call centrr

From what I've heard and research, it's a pretty solid career. Interesting mathematical work, good pay, good working hours for the most part. I think it's something I would like to explore further..
Original post by fayeztheman
Do you know what you're aiming for as a career after uni and how you want to progress in your career?
Or do you want to wait and see where life will take you in the future?

Personally I'm more of the latter: although I am focused towards the accounting/financial services career, I am not the type of guy who's made a big career plan and who thinks "right, I'm going to do this, this and this and then hopefully I'll be able to move into this job after a few years of experience and I'll be earning this amount as a salary." Although I know some friends who literally dream about their careers and what they'll do- I think that's pretty sad but then again they probably think me not knowing is more sad looools

Yep, in a nutshell, resit two a-levels and do maths this upcoming year and get A*AA whilst working as a HCA
Go to Nottingham/ Manchester/ Dundee for Med Chem (or similar) and finish degree with a 2:1 and year in industry
Boss GAMSAT/ BMAT/ UKCAT and apply for GEM.
Study Medicine
Do a Masters in Oncology
Become Oncologist.
Win at life
Original post by Trapz99
From what I've heard and research, it's a pretty solid career. Interesting mathematical work, good pay, good working hours for the most part. I think it's something I would like to explore further..

Trust me, don't. The pay is absolute shite, £50000 at best if you're lucky. Working hours aren't good when you have to spend six years studying for actuarial exams. Jobs are hard af to get in the industry as well.
I have a plan however I'm willing to change it as life progresses.

Finish my degree (get a 1st) -> Do my Masters -> Apply for a PhD -> Do research/aim to become a reader/lecturer.

However if this doesnt work out i'm willing to consider options in the Chemical industry/Chemical eng industry/Finance or even teaching.
Trust me, don't. The pay is absolute shite, £50000 at best if you're lucky. Working hours aren't good when you have to spend six years studying for actuarial exams. Jobs are hard af to get in the industry as well.

The pay isn't that bad and working hours get better after the exams are finished. Jobs are hard to get but internships are easier to get and you can get fast tracked to the graduate scheme if you do well in those.
Original post by Trapz99
The pay isn't that bad and working hours get better after the exams are finished. Jobs are hard to get but internships are easier to get and you can get fast tracked to the graduate scheme if you do well in those.

Whatever dude, I'm just warning you now. You're going to regret it hard if you become an actuary, although your plan of trading is even more ****ed. sorry to say but it's da truth baby

Lol how is that 'shite'? That's not even correct for a fully qualified actuary in London/south east.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whatever dude, I'm just warning you now. You're going to regret it hard if you become an actuary, although your plan of trading is even more ****ed. sorry to say but it's da truth baby

Bruh... You sound like you got rejected from an actuarial job lol
What qualifies you to say whether an actuary or trading is a **** career or not?
I would love to know. Have you got any experience in actuarial/trading?
I have a loose plan thanks to the countless lessons we were given in sixthform regarding the subject 'what are you going to do with the rest of your life'. Proably going to study linguistics/English this year. Hopefully get a 1st, apply for MSc. From then on I think i might take the speech therapy route like a lot of linguistic graduates but I'm still unsure :tongue:
Original post by Trapz99
Bruh... You sound like you got rejected from an actuarial job lol
What qualifies you to say whether an actuary or trading is a **** career or not?
I would love to know. Have you got any experience in actuarial/trading?

Mate, you haven't got any experience in actuarial or trading either, don't event try it
I've done my research on actuarial. It's a downhill career, that's what I've researched
I want to be a conference interpreter. After my Language Studies degree, I want to do a Conference Interpreting MA, either get a job as an interpreter or freelance for a few years, and eventually get a job either with an international company or large organisation. (The dream is the EU/UN but that may never happen.)
Lol how is that 'shite'? That's not even correct for a fully qualified actuary in London/south east.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ikr
Senior actuaries can earn double that
Mate, you haven't got any experience in actuarial or trading either, don't event try it
I've done my research on actuarial. It's a downhill career, that's what I've researched

Ok, I don't have work experience in the actuarial field but I have talked to actuaries about their work and done some basic research. I know what they do and what the job's like. You clearly don't. I don't see why you need to **** on people's career ambitions (although trading is really my main ambition, followed by ER and then actuarial). At least I have an idea of what careers I'm cosmdiering, you just have a list of careers that you make fun of...
Idk the exact thing I want to do but I know I'm leaning towards the medical/sciencey things. I also want my own business but idk what I want it in. All in all I just want to be happy in what I do.

Quick Reply

Latest