The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1640
Original post by Hannah003
i have my ukcat soon, im so nervous!!
Any tips for me?
And what resources are the best to use - in terms of levels of difficulty which is similar to the actual test?
thank you so much :smile:

He isc 1000q is good, and of course medify is a dead cert to buy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harpal10
I did some of the kaplan and ISC mini mocks.

Also did my first full UKCAT mock from the kaplan book today and didn't do well - I got 550 in AR, 630 VR and 670 QR with Band 2 sjt. Average is 617 :/

If you've only started practising recently, then theres no need to worry. Its very easy to improve on the ukcat, especially in AR. Also, is this the red/orange A4 Kaplan book?
Original post by immaa
Hi everyone, I'm new here :smile:

I did my UKCAT today and tbh, it didn't go as well as I'd hoped.
Verbal Reasoning had about two T/F/CT questions with the rest being 'derive the appropriate conclusion/ what statement fits the passage best' etc. which threw me a bit I'll admit. Quantitative was reasonable and AR felt okay but my score doesn't quite agree LOOL

I got: (average 703.3)
VR: 630
QR: 800
AR: 670
SJT Band 2.

As a current undergrad, I really wanted to apply for the grad entry courses but I don't think that's a possibility anymore :frown:

That's 700 average.
Hi guys! I did my UKCAT today and I'm overjoyed with my result so I thought I'd share some tips.

Verbal:
Harder than I was expecting (I'm not sure if I doubted myself more than usual or what but I was very time pressured) and I ended up flagging about 5 questions when I usually flag 1 or 2. The passages were about the size of the regular box in practice tests. I had to scroll down for one passage and it only had about a sentence below that. For me, it was about 70% inference, 30% true-false. Difficulty wise, I'd say it was on par with the official tests.

Quantitative:
I was massively time pressured here in comparison to practice tests. I guessed 3 questions because I just didn't have the time. (although the time pressure was my own fault - I stubbornly kept trying to answer a difficult question). This meant that I didn't have time to go back and check my flagged questions because I just wanted to finish the section. The calculator is stable (unlike the official ones) but does disappear if you click off it (but it saves the value for when you next open it). The keyboard keypad was invaluable. It saved so much time but make sure the Num Lock is on! Main issues here were my own stubbornness and one set of about 4 multi-step questions. Difficulty was about Kaplan and Medify standard (I thought it was harder than the official tests though).

Abstract:
Medify, Kaplan and 1000Q seriously over-prepared me. I sat there for a few of them thinking the rule couldn't be so easy. Honestly, it was so much easier than any mock I did. Difficulty, I'd say it was easier than any practice questions I did.

Situational Judgement:
I didn't see how it could be any different to normal and it really wasn't. It was very similar to all the practice tests available. One thing that I noticed was that I didn't get many of the obvious ones (eg: patient asks med student about their diagnosis. how appropriate is diagnosing the patient and telling them the treatments available). They were the slightly ethical ones where you feel a little unsure of yourself.

Other Notes:
My exam centre gave me three laminated sheets with a thin permanent marker. I also had headphones and ear plugs. They put me in a separate room (with a ticky clock I might add) but I had very few distractions.
I used Decision Making as a complete rest. I answered no questions and went to the bathroom and calmed down. It was my second section (after verbal) so I also used it to test out the keypad and calculator (I practiced on a laptop so I wasn't very good with the keypad).

Good luck everyone!
Also, feel free to ask any questions about the UKCAT or preparing for it.
Original post by Pra99
If you've only started practising recently, then theres no need to worry. Its very easy to improve on the ukcat, especially in AR. Also, is this the red/orange A4 Kaplan book?
yes, the orange book
Original post by raniafern
I'm not trying to argue... don't get me wrong.

But, what help can the student provide? Talk about the weather i.e. a neutral topic? Yes. But anything about the patient, his diagnosis, prognosis, test results... Nope.

Of course not. It's great to discuss these things. I would've thought that you could tell them when exactly the doctor would be back to tell him the results. (Ie. Apologies and tell the patient that you are only a medical student but the doctor will be back to discuss the results soon)
Original post by immaa
Hi everyone, I'm new here :smile:

I did my UKCAT today and tbh, it didn't go as well as I'd hoped.
Verbal Reasoning had about two T/F/CT questions with the rest being 'derive the appropriate conclusion/ what statement fits the passage best' etc. which threw me a bit I'll admit. Quantitative was reasonable and AR felt okay but my score doesn't quite agree LOOL

I got: (average 703.3)
VR: 630
QR: 800
AR: 670
SJT Band 2.

As a current undergrad, I really wanted to apply for the grad entry courses but I don't think that's a possibility anymore :frown:

700 is amazing.... i would be over the mooon with that..
Original post by nomophobia
But isn't 630 the average score? If so, you will do above average and you still have a good chance with applying to med school - don't compare yourself with others on TSR who are getting well into 700s - this is not representative of everyone who applies to med school. Not to mention, people with higher scores are more likely to post their scores.

And you still have 2 weeks left to practice! That's plenty of time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

But i have done 2 weeks of medify and ISC book and not re;a;y improved consistanly :frown:
Original post by Lewishier
Hi guys! I did my UKCAT today and I'm overjoyed with my result so I thought I'd share some tips.

Verbal:
Harder than I was expecting (I'm not sure if I doubted myself more than usual or what but I was very time pressured) and I ended up flagging about 5 questions when I usually flag 1 or 2. The passages were about the size of the regular box in practice tests. I had to scroll down for one passage and it only had about a sentence below that. For me, it was about 70% inference, 30% true-false. Difficulty wise, I'd say it was on par with the official tests.

Quantitative:
I was massively time pressured here in comparison to practice tests. I guessed 3 questions because I just didn't have the time. (although the time pressure was my own fault - I stubbornly kept trying to answer a difficult question). This meant that I didn't have time to go back and check my flagged questions because I just wanted to finish the section. The calculator is stable (unlike the official ones) but does disappear if you click off it (but it saves the value for when you next open it). The keyboard keypad was invaluable. It saved so much time but make sure the Num Lock is on! Main issues here were my own stubbornness and one set of about 4 multi-step questions. Difficulty was about Kaplan and Medify standard (I thought it was harder than the official tests though).

Abstract:
Medify, Kaplan and 1000Q seriously over-prepared me. I sat there for a few of them thinking the rule couldn't be so easy. Honestly, it was so much easier than any mock I did. Difficulty, I'd say it was easier than any practice questions I did.

Situational Judgement:
I didn't see how it could be any different to normal and it really wasn't. It was very similar to all the practice tests available. One thing that I noticed was that I didn't get many of the obvious ones (eg: patient asks med student about their diagnosis. how appropriate is diagnosing the patient and telling them the treatments available). They were the slightly ethical ones where you feel a little unsure of yourself.

Other Notes:
My exam centre gave me three laminated sheets with a thin permanent marker. I also had headphones and ear plugs. They put me in a separate room (with a ticky clock I might add) but I had very few distractions.
I used Decision Making as a complete rest. I answered no questions and went to the bathroom and calmed down. It was my second section (after verbal) so I also used it to test out the keypad and calculator (I practiced on a laptop so I wasn't very good with the keypad).

Good luck everyone!
Also, feel free to ask any questions about the UKCAT or preparing for it.

What were your scores in each section (if you don't mind telling us).
Reply 1649
Original post by Pra99
That's 700 average.

Oops, I meant 680 for AR. I've corrected it now, sorry!
Original post by Pra99
What were your scores in each section (if you don't mind telling us).

VR: 820
QR: 830
AR: 870
SJT: Band 1
Average: 840

I honestly was not expecting any of these scores but I did work really hard and was expecting 700 ish (before the exam nerves kicked in).
(edited 7 years ago)

I honestly was not expecting any of these scores but I did work really hard and was expecting 700 ish (before the exam nerves kicked in).

You kidding! Mate these are my dream scores ive been practising so hard but I still don't feel confident. Could you please tell me what resources you used and what scores you got in your mocks. Absolute legend!
Reply 1652

That's AMAZING!! Wow congratulations! are you an A-level student or an undergrad if you dont mind me asking?
(edited 7 years ago)
UKCAT Score Tracker.png
Original post by Pra99
You kidding! Mate these are my dream scores ive been practising so hard but I still don't feel confident. Could you please tell me what resources you used and what scores you got in your mocks. Absolute legend!

I used Kaplan, Medify and 1000Qs. Honestly, I was irresponsible and put off practice until the second of this month. In total I did about 30 hours of intensive prep: 13 papers, the majority of the 1000Qs book and quite a few of the Kaplan quizzes. I've attached a photo of my mock score tracker (I find excel charts really helpful with understanding my progress) and it has all the mocks I did and how I did both raw and rough scaled scores. Going in, I was terrified and I didn't expect to do anywhere near as well as I did. When's your UKCAT?
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Original post by immaa
That's AMAZING!! Wow congratulations! are you an A-level student or an undergrand if you dont mind me asking?

I'm an A-level student hoping for 2017 entry. :smile:
UKCAT Score Tracker.png

I used Kaplan, Medify and 1000Qs. Honestly, I was irresponsible and put off practice until the second of this month. In total I did about 30 hours of intensive prep: 13 papers, the majority of the 1000Qs book and quite a few of the Kaplan quizzes. I've attached a photo of my mock score tracker (I find excel charts really helpful with understanding my progress) and it has all the mocks I did and how I did both raw and rough scaled scores. Going in, I was terrified and I didn't expect to do anywhere near as well as I did. When's your UKCAT?

I see that you did the Kaplan course. What percentages were you getting in the quizzes in the online resources. I'm only getting around 65 for AR, 60 for QR and 55 for SJT!(I haven't done VR quizzes yet). I really appreciate your help.
Original post by Pra99
I see that you did the Kaplan course. What percentages were you getting in the quizzes in the online resources. I'm only getting around 65 for AR, 60 for QR and 55 for SJT!(I haven't done VR quizzes yet). I really appreciate your help.

My QR increased from about 40% to 70% in the first five (I didn't take the sixth) but I spread them out along with other practice. My AR was always around 70% (from 66% to 72%) so not really information there. I didn't do any SJT Kaplan quizzes - I was getting Band 2 in mocks and I was completely happy with getting band 2. VR I didn't do any for because VR was my best in practice.
UKCAT Score Tracker.png

well wow, well done! I can see that even in practice tho you were getting pretty insane scores, you are lucky to be blessed with such talent at these tests - unfortatly i am not the same in talent
Original post by clairebear101
well wow, well done! I can see that even in practice tho you were getting pretty insane scores, you are lucky to be blessed with such talent at these tests - unfortatly i am not the same in talent

Thank you! But it's not talent, it's lots of practice and hard work. The UKCAT isn't the first psychometric test of this style I've done; I'm applying to America so I've taken a less stressful variant called the SAT which has comprehensions and time pressured maths. The abstract I still remember from 11+! Practice makes all the difference, trust me. Notice how I went from 15/36 to about 30/36 in QR? That's from endless maths questions. I had another table somewhere (I can't find it now) but I did about 500Q of QR alone. Don't think of it in terms of talent. Think of it in terms of hard work and luck.
UKCAT Score Tracker.png

Hi

Congratulations on your results! Was just wondering how you worked out the scaled marks for each section on your spreadsheet? It's a good idea by the way - I think I'll start one myself :smile:

Can't believe you managed to pull it off with a weeks practice, definitely made me more optimistic (going on tsr probably doesn't help haha)

Where are you thinking of applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally amazing results, congrats!:biggrin:

I booked mine for September 15th.. Let the prep begin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending