The Student Room Group

***UKCAT 2017 poll***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalierm2707
I do have to admit 700 is around the aim for graduates that is just purely due to competition. Have you taken the GAMSAT though?

Original post by 123ash
700 is OK, but 730 or above is much more of a comfortable score.

Can I ask what makes you say that? I'm a graduate who got 710, so it's quite important for my deciding where to apply. :smile:
Original post by Chikkinn
Can I ask what makes you say that? I'm a graduate who got 710, so it's quite important for my deciding where to apply. :smile:

For graduate entry there are only a few places on GEM courses, all of which are so so so heavily oversubscribed in terms of applicants (way more than undergrad entry), and because only a few GEM courses want the UKCAT the score needed for an interview is always ridiculous!
Speaking from what everyone else has been through and what i have heard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For graduate entry there are only a few places on GEM courses, all of which are so so so heavily oversubscribed in terms of applicants (way more than undergrad entry), and because only a few GEM courses want the UKCAT the score needed for an interview is always ridiculous!
Speaking from what everyone else has been through and what i have heard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, I'd heard the same, but to be honest I thought 700+ would be a fairly sure thing (unless average scores are higher this year). I'm just wondering where this "comfortable threshold" of 730 came from. I'm considering applying to King's, where mine would need to be in the top 25% of UKCAT scores.
Reply 23
Ahh, I'd heard the same, but to be honest I thought 700+ would be a fairly sure thing (unless average scores are higher this year). I'm just wondering where this "comfortable threshold" of 730 came from. I'm considering applying to King's, where mine would need to be in the top 25% of UKCAT scores.

Hello Chikkinn,a score of 710 is very good and pls don't be concerned too much about your score. With this score last year Barts and Warwick would definitely have given you an interview. As far as I have researched, KCL do not have a UKCAT cut off, it is only one of many factors that they look into. If I received a score of 710(my exam's in 3 weeks :/), I personally would apply to KCL and deffo to Barts and Warwick. I have attached a Freedom of Information response from KCL(from this year) and this may provide you with some answer. But please take this with a pinch of salt. I would personally disregard the 2014 data. Good Luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
The excel document contains data of applicants who were interviewed between 2014-2015
Reply 25

I am too, wanting to apply at Kings. But tbh with my UKCAT mock score results, i cant see that being possible. Unless I have luck on my side on the test day.

Kings entry requirement is what i'm basing the 730 as a comfortable score, but still dependant on how well others do.

Its from previous kings applicants, and kings admissions too. But having said that 700+ is a good score, but they say you'd need a brilliant PS. Also Kings does look at which band one falls in for SJT. I'm only saying this, because Warwick does't look at SJT altogether.

* Good luck to us all!*

Sorry for grammar errors, typing quick, lol*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by saran23
The excel document contains data of applicants who were interviewed between 2014-2015

I don't like that excel document :frown:. Based on that there was applicants who got 800+ in UKCAT and had a 1st class degree in 2015 and weren't selected. That document has made me more stressed. Lol
Reply 27
Original post by 123ash
I don't like that excel document :frown:. Based on that there was applicants who got 800+ in UKCAT and had a 1st class degree in 2015 and weren't selected. That document has made me more stressed. Lol

Pls don't be stressed about it.There are a lot of 2:1 applicants there.Good Luck :smile:
Original post by saran23
Hello Chikkinn,a score of 710 is very good and pls don't be concerned too much about your score. With this score last year Barts and Warwick would definitely have given you an interview. As far as I have researched, KCL do not have a UKCAT cut off, it is only one of many factors that they look into. If I received a score of 710(my exam's in 3 weeks :/), I personally would apply to KCL and deffo to Barts and Warwick. I have attached a Freedom of Information response from KCL(from this year) and this may provide you with some answer. But please take this with a pinch of salt. I would personally disregard the 2014 data. Good Luck

Thank you very much, it's really interesting looking at the raw stats of the successful applicants! I think I'll apply to King's as my "ambitious" choice.

Original post by 123ash
I am too, wanting to apply at Kings. But tbh with my UKCAT mock score results, i cant see that being possible. Unless I have luck on my side on the test day.

Kings entry requirement is what i'm basing the 730 as a comfortable score, but still dependant on how well others do.

Its from previous kings applicants, and kings admissions too. But having said that 700+ is a good score, but they say you'd need a brilliant PS. Also Kings does look at which band one falls in for SJT. I'm only saying this, because Warwick does't look at SJT altogether.

* Good luck to us all!*

Sorry for grammar errors, typing quick, lol*

Yeah, judging by the scores of successful applicants last year, I see what you mean. I guess I'll have to write a brilliant PS. :biggrin: Good luck!
Reply 29
Original post by saran23
Pls don't be stressed about it.There are a lot of 2:1 applicants there.Good Luck :smile:

Not, I've got a 1st in all three years of my degree. Increasing the % of the 1st throughout. But what i'm trying to say is that even with a 1st and a high UKCAT score there is lots of applicants that didn't get in. Thats stressing, me because I doubt i'll be getting a high UKCAT, so my chances seem lower.

Anyways, going to try not to stress, and after my UKCAT decide :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Thank you very much, it's really interesting looking at the raw stats of the successful applicants! I think I'll apply to King's as my "ambitious" choice.

Yeah, judging by the scores of successful applicants last year, I see what you mean. I guess I'll have to write a brilliant PS. :biggrin: Good luck!

Good luck to us ALL! no denying GEM is very competitive!
This is true but TSR often has a ridiculous average for the UKCAT for many reasons:
1) the population of students on TSR generally performs above average in comparison to the whole cohort taking the test, mainly because it is the nature of the people who are on this site (try very hard, really want to do well, get a lot of help from the forums which can aid them at getting a higher score etc.)
2) People are more likely to share good scores than low scores, hence your likely to get 2 good scores for every 1 average or below average score - thus pushing the average up.
3) People lie on TSR, there are a lot of trolls about who think its funny to terrorise candidates.

Take this into account and hence take this forum with a pinch of salt, the UKCAT deciles are much much better in terms of a representation of where everyone in the country sits.

I wholly agree, TSR is by no means representative and people are more likely to post their results if they are proud of them so this may skew the results
Hi guys, just did the test today and not sure what to think of my results. Can anyone be kind enough to shed some light on my results?

Verbal Reasoning: 520/900
Quantitative Reasoning: 890/900
Abstract Reasoning: 700/900
Average points: 703/900
Total points: 2120/2700
Situational Judgment Test: Band 2
According to the statistics on the UKCAT website my score is in between the 8th decile and 9th decile (excluding Decision making) for last years score. So in comparison to last year's cohort I am between the top 10-20% but my concern is my low points on verbal reasoning. Would universities consider individual sections because whilst I clearly overperformed in 2 of the sections but my verbal reasoning was a bit underwhelming?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LightAtTheEnd
Hi guys, just did the test today and not sure what to think of my results. Can anyone be kind enough to shed some light on my results?

According to the statistics on the UKCAT website my score is in between the 8th decile and 9th decile (excluding Decision making) for last years score. So in comparison to last year's cohort I am between the top 10-20% but my concern is my low points on verbal reasoning. Would universities consider individual sections because whilst I clearly overperformed in 2 of the sections but my verbal reasoning was a bit underwhelming?

Well done on an amazing UKCAT score. As for your query, just make sure when applying that if a medical school considers each individual UKCAT section, you exceed the cut off for it. 520 shouldnt hold you back to much, but double check at every medical school (email them if you have to)

well done again, brilliant score you should be so proud.
Reply 34

Congrats on your UKCAT score :biggrin:

Don't worry about the VR section, most uni's don't have a subsection cut off so you should be fine.

All the best!

Congratulations on an amazing score! Regarding your questions about VR, the only things that come to mind are that Plymouth normally have a VR cutoff around your score and that, if you're going for graduate entry, Warwick particularly care about VR. Otherwise, I think you're golden. :biggrin:
Guys it says that the 4th section decision making doesnt count and is only used for research purposes will unis look at it?
Reply 37
Original post by hashman
Guys it says that the 4th section decision making doesnt count and is only used for research purposes will unis look at it?

No, Results from DM section will not be sent to Uni's.It's being piloted this year :-)
Original post by hashman

Nope.
Reply 39

WOW, I didn't know that 703 average would be between the top 10-20% based on last year. That's *great score. Well Done.

If your applying to GEM, then I'm aware that Warwick have a VR cut off, not sure what it is. But other than that the Uni's for GEM look at overall average and Kings does look at the SJT score.

Well done again on your great score!*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending