The Student Room Group

Its perfectly acceptable to hate China and Russia

Simply because they don't agree with the British and American narrative of western dominance.

This is so obvious in the olympic commentary. Westerners in general think they are the best and can do no wrong.

Scroll to see replies

No. I hate China because of the corruption and hypocrisy of the Chinese Communist Party. They participated in mass killing, organ harvesting, and don't give a **** about the environment.

Worst of all im on holiday here........ for 1 whole month. All the censorship has made it impossible for me to reach youtube or do homework
Have to use a VPN a friggin paid service and that still only gets me 0.5mbs.
Russia has its problems with the not too recent Ukraine incident. Kinda suspicious.
But when America ****s up trust me, we will all know.
Just like how the Uk is mocked everywhere for leaving the Eu.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I hate China because so many of its population are so incredibly cruel to animals.
You just have to understand that they have a different culture and values to us - what we see as animal cruelty they view as food, what we see as censorship they view as the government protecting them (ok, nowadays people are aware that it's the government controlling them, but not in the less westernised cities), what they consider to be rude is totally different to us. Yes there are major issues with the environment, but Chinese people on average use much less electricity etc than Europeans or Americans. The government needs to clean up is act on a few things, but the country is opening up and improving a lot - not long ago we would have considered it a third world country, now it's considered a developed country catching up quickly with the west - with such rapid development obviously there will be challenges and sacrifices on the way. If you look back in our history also had issues (slavery, pollution during industrial revolution, wars, etc)
Original post by dragonkeeper999
You just have to understand that they have a different culture and values to us - what we see as animal cruelty they view as food, what we see as censorship they view as the government protecting them (ok, nowadays people are aware that it's the government controlling them, but not in the less westernised cities), what they consider to be rude is totally different to us. Yes there are major issues with the environment, but Chinese people on average use much less electricity etc than Europeans or Americans. The government needs to clean up is act on a few things, but the country is opening up and improving a lot - not long ago we would have considered it a third world country, now it's considered a developed country catching up quickly with the west - with such rapid development obviously there will be challenges and sacrifices on the way. If you look back in our history also had issues (slavery, pollution during industrial revolution, wars, etc)

Thats like justifying terrorist groups because they have a "different culture".
Get your head out of the gutter. Universal declarations apply to all such as human rights. Many of which China violates.
I can't even begin explaining how misinformed westerners are on China. dragonkeeper999 puts it very succinctly. You see, for Chinese people pragmatism and order rules all. When you look at Chinese history it is characterised by relentless civil uprisings and large scale foreign invasions (most notably Britain and Japan) perhaps due to being inadequately resourced. You can understand why they don't want to revert to that state of affairs again. Indeed, during the 19th century upheaval reached its peak and that's when the revolutionary fever kicked in towards the turn of the 20th century, another turbulent time in history.

But it wasn't always like this. In fact for much of history China has been in another league in terms of innovation and economic activity compared to the western world; during the Tang dynasty China commanded up to 58% of the world's GDP and in the Song dynasty as large as 80%. Their infrastructure in some cities was impeccable - as elegant as the streets of Venice with facilities enjoyed by many. That's not to mention their excellence in poetry and philosophy either! I think we were meanwhile figuring out how to live in mud huts?

What irritates me the most is the western fixation on China's (often small) problems that make westerners look, frankly, privileged and ignorant. Take your pick: Yulin dog festival, smog in Beijing, Tiananmen square. Time and time again these things surface, indeed on a yearly basis. There is absolutely nothing positive about China or the wonderful people that live there. Instead they're depicted as environment hating (even though Chinese people, per capita, do far more good for the environment than their western counterparts), untrustworthy 'communists'. It's just totally wrong and such a shame because the Chinese people deserve so much more. I can totally understand why they react negatively on social media to provocation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moggis
I hate China because so many of its population are so incredibly cruel to animals.

How do you know this? This is total nonsense.
Original post by moggis

Some are, some aren't. There are animal rights groups in china.
Original post by moggis

as with anywhere else, some are, some aren't.

There are human rights groups in China. You just don't hear about it because of the western narrative.
The world is very complex and it might not be possible to extract a coherent picture of the people and a nation, any nation, there is no bold characture of a country, some authority designs the narrative, just like History cannot be reduced to a narrative, the intricacies of decisions being made are so boringly complex that it wouldn't make a good story, so they reduce it to a simple theme.

The UK is complex and hard to piece together coherently and it is a relatively small chunk of land. If you think of it in this light, it makes you re-think how we might be spoon fed the wrong impressions of all reality.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi what's this all about
Reply 11
Original post by BRONZEMEDAL1
as with anywhere else, some are, some aren't.

There are human rights groups in China. You just don't hear about it because of the western narrative.

I was aware there are many people in China who are upset about the cruelty.

I still hate China.
Original post by moggis
I was aware there are many people in China who are upset about the cruelty.

I still hate China.

Because they're ugly? Is that all there is to it: looks?
Reply 13
I hate everywhere! :h:
(for me though, liberty trumps all, within reason, so I prefer the West)
OH **** call the 50 cent army...
China Uncensored check it out.
Btw ...
IM THE ****IGN DUDE that RESPECTS CHINESE ****ING HISTORY
THAT ALL DIED WHEN MAO ZE DONG CAME TO POWER WITH THE CULTURAL REVOLUTION.
Im in support of Taipei and the republic of China.
The old chinese had teachings from Confucius but these communist maniacs kiled and destroyed all forms of culture as it was against progression.
When in fact these teachings helped to produce order and prosperity.
Don't talk **** mate, its not westerners getting the wrong idea.
Most westerners think china is a nice place now.
But i think its even worse.
Given that Russia is involved in a state-sponsored doping programme, why on earth do you think people are suspicious when their athletes do well?

Not to mention Crimea, regardless of whether the people wanted to be part of Russia or not you can't just march soldiers into another country and anex a part of it by force. Those who wanted to be a part of Russia were perfectly free to move there beforehand.

As for China, they commit numerous human rights abuses, are cruel to animals, have excessive state censorship, are being aggressive in the South China Sea and have a complete disregard for the environment in certain cities. Is it any wonder that they are often portrayed in a poor light? And don't start talking about how the West polluted during the industrial revolution, because the consequences of doing so were not known at the time and there weren't alternative power sources such as solar farms, wind power or nuclear (is carbon neutral besides building the plant) which are available for developing nations today. As China continues to develop though the perceptions of it are getting better.
I hate china cos vagina
Original post by JRKinder
Given that Russia is involved in a state-sponsored doping programme, why on earth do you think people are suspicious when their athletes do well?

Not to mention Crimea, regardless of whether the people wanted to be part of Russia or not you can't just march soldiers into another country and anex a part of it by force. Those who wanted to be a part of Russia were perfectly free to move there beforehand.

As for China, they commit numerous human rights abuses, are cruel to animals, have excessive state censorship, are being aggressive in the South China Sea and have a complete disregard for the environment in certain cities. Is it any wonder that they are often portrayed in a poor light? And don't start talking about how the West polluted during the industrial revolution, because the consequences of doing so were not known at the time and there weren't alternative power sources such as solar farms, wind power or nuclear (is carbon neutral besides building the plant) which are available for developing nations today. As China continues to develop though the perceptions of it are getting better.

Why don't they go on about the west's colonialism for oil (Clinton emails/Sarkozy) and the west's historic barbarity?

The west is the olympic champion in hypocrisy. Do you ever wonder why people hate you?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/apr/23/british-empire-crimes-ignore-atrocities
http://listverse.com/2014/02/04/10-evil-crimes-of-the-british-empire/
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/apr/18/britain-destroyed-records-colonial-crimes
British style is just to completely ignore the fact that they committed mass atrocities.

The west does not believe in the sins of the father but the rest of the world does. **** your self righteousness.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by James.Carnell
Why don't they go on about the west's colonialism for oil (Clinton emails/Sarkozy) and the west's historic barbarity?

The west is the olympic champion in hypocrisy. Do you ever wonder why people hate you?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/apr/23/british-empire-crimes-ignore-atrocities
http://listverse.com/2014/02/04/10-evil-crimes-of-the-british-empire/
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/apr/18/britain-destroyed-records-colonial-crimes
British style is just to completely ignore the fact that they committed mass atrocities.

The west does not believe in the sins of the father but the rest of the world does. **** your self righteousness.
I don't disagree that the West often go too far in pursuit of Middle Eastern oil, mainly America although we are also guilty of it to some extent.

I'm not sure what you're saying with your second line, do you mean why non-Westerners hate the West? I'm sure some do, I'm sure some don't, and I'm sure the same feelings are reciprocated by Westerners.

And holding living Western people to account for the barbarism of past empires is ridiculous, living people have nothing whatsoever to do with that. If you want to play at that game, then it's quite easy to find historic atrocities committed by practically every country in the world regardless of which hemisphere it's in. The difference is, Russia and China in this instance are doing these things in the present, so they should rightly be criticised for it. In the same vain, feel free to criticise the West for historic atrocities, but you have no right whatsoever to hold living Westerners to account for it. The West, at present, is a champion of human rights that are majorly lacking in a large number of other countries, so criticism of these countries is just.
Original post by James.Carnell
Simply because they don't agree with the British and American narrative of western dominance.

This is so obvious in the olympic commentary. Westerners in general think they are the best and can do no wrong.

Russia yes they are white. China absolutely not, they are brown and racism IS NOT OKAY

Quick Reply

Latest