The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christina1999H
Hi

Congratulations on your results! Was just wondering how you worked out the scaled marks for each section on your spreadsheet? It's a good idea by the way - I think I'll start one myself :smile:

Can't believe you managed to pull it off with a weeks practice, definitely made me more optimistic (going on tsr probably doesn't help haha)

Where are you thinking of applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medify and Kaplan mocks give you an estimated scaled score so I based it off that mostly. Also, there's a Kaplan conversion table somewhere that converts the old UKCAT but it roughly works. I just took it as 60% = 600, 70% = 700, 80% = 800. In actuality, I'm almost certain I didn't get 80% in all my sections so I think the scale is lower in the real test but I'd rather overprepare than underprepare!

Hopefully, (depending on AS results next week) I'll apply to Oxford, Imperial, Edinburgh and King's.

Original post by ozmo19
Totally amazing results, congrats!:biggrin:

I booked mine for September 15th.. Let the prep begin

Thanks so much! You have so much time, honestly, just put in regular amounts of work and REVIEW YOUR MISTAKES!!! I went up so much in AR and QR when I sat down and looked through every question (well....... like 60% of them before I got bored) and worked out how and why I went wrong.
Original post by TAgirl
Yes you're right I believe although I don't think the new section they're introducing will contribute to our final score, at least I hope not.

Yep there's a new section

Read all about it here
Original post by michrab123
There's a section in strategy and tips for each section including AR on my blog Www.scrubsnstilettos.wordpress.com , hope you find it helpful!

You get really fast at this section once you know how to find the patterns and can whizz through all the questions from one set in a few seconds. Just make sure you use the same strategy for all questions.

Keep practicing it'll help you get more comfortable :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, this was very useful. Did you use the Kaplan resources for this or did you make this by yourself? Kaplan uses a similar strategy :smile:
Original post by clairebear101
But i have done 2 weeks of medify and ISC book and not re;a;y improved consistanly :frown:

I've been revising for four weeks with Medify and I've only just started to improve with two weeks left! Trust me, eventually you'll get there.

I find Medify quite weird for AR. Sometimes they're so easy and others they're just VERY obscure. Like the one where the circle is in the same co-ordinate for each pattern, I don't think I'd ever have the time or the effort to divide the patterns into grids XD
Guys I need a bit of encouragement. I've been practicing for atleast 3 weeks now. I have my exam Next Thursday and I've been using Medify, ISC Book and Kaplan Book, but I still can't get a mid-600 score when I do Mock exams. It's simply because I suck at VR and been getting an average of 570 :frown:.

Has Anyone else experienced this?

I plan on getting an intensive 6 day prep these next couple of days instead of re-scheduling as I've re schedulled 3 times already.

At an All time low and I have the test in lest than 9 days. :frown:
Can anyone tell me how much Medify costs for 2 weeks, 1 month and 2 months? I can't find it on medify, I think it literally wants me to pay but if it's too much I'd rather just wait it out for the 2 week subscription.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1666
Original post by nomophobia
Can anyone tell me how much Medify costs for 2 weeks, 1 month and 2 months? I can't find it on medify, I think it literally wants me to pay but if it's too much I'd rather just wait it out for the 2 week subscription.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here's a list of the costs from their website;

PricesDurationExpiring (if purchased today)

1 week Medify UKCAT16 Aug 2016 11:59 p.m.£30.00
2 weeks Medify UKCAT23 Aug 2016 11:59 p.m.£35.00
1 month Medify UKCAT09 Sep 2016 11:59 p.m.£40.00
2 months Medify UKCAT10 Oct 2016 11:59 p.m.£45.00
3 months Medify UKCAT10 Nov 2016 11:59 p.m.£50.00

1 week extension Medify UKCAT(extensions* only)£5.00
1 month extension Medify UKCAT(extensions* only)£10.00

* Extensions If you reschedule your UKCAT, or otherwise need more time, we offer current-cycle customers reduced cost extension rates. These are available only to customers with a current-admission-cycle purchase (April 2nd to April 1st).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aspiringmedic123
Guys I need a bit of encouragement. I've been practicing for atleast 3 weeks now. I have my exam Next Thursday and I've been using Medify, ISC Book and Kaplan Book, but I still can't get a mid-600 score when I do Mock exams. It's simply because I suck at VR and been getting an average of 570 :frown:.

I plan on getting an intensive 6 day prep these next couple of days instead of re-scheduling as I've re schedulled 3 times already.

Hey buddy dont worry, im in the same boat as you and despite using all the resouces i still struggle and can just about get 650 ave. But bear in mind that is all you need! dont worry about these amazing score on here as these are the extremely good people who tbh even tho they put in all the work i beleive are natually better at it. But considering people get around 100 points higher overall in the real thing, you will easily hit that 650 ave mark and will be able to apply to medicine :smile: good luck
Has anyone used medify and know if it's any good? I'm using the ISCmedical 600 ukcat questions book and the succeeding in the ukcat book (which has SO many mistakes in it!) but I might pay for a week of medify if it's helpful as my test is tuesday and I don't feel prepared!
1) A well-known Management Entrance Training Institute (METI) is introducing a new course. The course director identified the activities to be taken up before batches for the new course can be started. He also worked out the time required (with this existing resources) for each of these activities. Certain activities cannot be taken up unless certain other activities have been partially or fully completed. He has also estimated the cost incurred per week for each activity. All the details that he gathered are given in the table.The first batch for the new course can be started only when activities 3, 5, 6 and 7 are completed. He estimated a student enrolment of £500 for the first cohort for the new course. Denote week 1 as the week in which the course work starts. (It takes 3 weeks to complete S.N.O. 2) Costs are given in £.

What is the minimum total expenditure incurred before the first batch starts, excluding Marketing & Promotion?
The answer is £481k but I'm not sure how to work it out

2) The route from London to Athens crosses France, Italy and Greece. At 12:00 local time a plane left Athens for London flying at an average speed of 500 km per hour. At 13:00 local time another aircraft took off from London bound for Athens. It flew at an average speed of 400 km per hour. The route from London to Athens crosses France, Italy and Greece.

Which one of the following best describes where and when the aircraft would meet?
The answer is near Paris at 15:00 local time
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Talisia13
Has anyone used medify and know if it's any good? I'm using the ISCmedical 600 ukcat questions book and the succeeding in the ukcat book (which has SO many mistakes in it!) but I might pay for a week of medify if it's helpful as my test is tuesday and I don't feel prepared!

People say it saved their score but i think its a bit over rated, im sure you will do amazing as the 600Q book over prepares you. Stay cam and work quickly. Good luck. let us know how u go
People say it saved their score but i think its a bit over rated, im sure you will do amazing as the 600Q book over prepares you. Stay cam and work quickly. Good luck. let us know how u go

I decided to get medify and I think it is good! Although I agree with you the 600Q book is so much harder than everything else I have looked at.
Which section do you find the hardest? I just can't get the quantitative reasoning section in the time given!
Original post by Lewishier
UKCAT Score Tracker.png

I used Kaplan, Medify and 1000Qs. Honestly, I was irresponsible and put off practice until the second of this month. In total I did about 30 hours of intensive prep: 13 papers, the majority of the 1000Qs book and quite a few of the Kaplan quizzes. I've attached a photo of my mock score tracker (I find excel charts really helpful with understanding my progress) and it has all the mocks I did and how I did both raw and rough scaled scores. Going in, I was terrified and I didn't expect to do anywhere near as well as I did. When's your UKCAT?
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

How did you manage to improve soooo much on QR?! It is the section I am most struggling with currently:frown:
Original post by aspiringmedic123

My UKCAT is next thursday too! Don't stress too much and try to get as prepared as you can in the remaining time.

My strategy so far is to do one mock a day since I have 7 mocks left to do on medify + official website. I am getting better at flagging questions on AR and VR because those are where I have the lower scores in, and I tend to get the band 2 in SJT which I want to bump up to band 1. If you're like me and get drowned by the Passage in VR, try to at least select a sensible looking answer first and then try to scan the passage for the keywords.
(edited 7 years ago)
For comprehension VR questions, do you think its possible to read all of the passage first and understand it, then answer the 5 questions really quickly (like how in AR you find the pattern in 30secs and answer the questions in about 2secs). I know youre not supposed to read all the passage first, but I havent found any other effective technique for these type of questions.
Hey buddy dont worry, im in the same boat as you and despite using all the resouces i still struggle and can just about get 650 ave. But bear in mind that is all you need! dont worry about these amazing score on here as these are the extremely good people who tbh even tho they put in all the work i beleive are natually better at it. But considering people get around 100 points higher overall in the real thing, you will easily hit that 650 ave mark and will be able to apply to medicine :smile: good luck

Hey! Thanks man. I'm just getting nowhere with my confidence in doing this exam. I've done it before, score wasn't so great, so I approached it abit different this year but seems like I have not gotten any better. BUT I'll just do my best with these last 7 days.

Thanks for the message! Goodluck with your test!
Original post by Harpal10
My UKCAT is next thursday too! Don't stress too much and try to get as prepared as you can in the remaining time.

My strategy so far is to do one mock a day since I have 7 mocks left to do on medify + official website. I am getting better at flagging questions on AR and VR because those are where I have the lower scores in, and I tend to get the band 2 in SJT which I want to bump up to band 1. If you're like me and get drowned by the Passage in VR, try to at least select a sensible looking answer first and then try to scan the passage for the keywords.

ps. don't look at your AS results before the ukcat xD

Hi!

Thanks alot for the advice! I'll try those. And same, I have 2 on medify, 1 on UKCAT website, 1000qs book and KAPLAN site. I'll just try get the most of these last few days. Hopefully it'll pay off, if not, I'll try again next year :smile:

Goodluck with your exam!!
I presume that the question in the second scenario is where and when do the planes meet? I made an equation (not 100% sure this is correct but eh, gave it a shot): x is the time after the second plane left London.

500(x+3) = 2400 - 400x
500x + 1500 = 2400 - 400x
900x = 900
x = 1

From there you can work out that the second plane has traveled around 400km, so it's pretty close to Paris.
I don't have the energy to even try to work the first one, but in the real UKCAT most questions are far less complex - if you do get a couple of questions that are this difficult, I'd suggest just skipping them and spending the time to do 2-3 easier ones instead :smile:
How did you lot find Medify Mock 1? Is it meant to be the easiest? Just got 685 in it(according to medify) and 710(according to doing 33/55 = 0.6, 600x0.6 = 360 + 300 = 660 method) Not sure if that's good or bad
what was the highest EVER ukcat score?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending