The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamesj477
Hey guys, so I'm 16 atm, and I'll be starting to learn to drive when I'm 17. The thing is that I have never actually driven a car before, the closest I have got is steering on my dads lap lol. I'm away on holiday for pretty much the rest of the summer, and I'm 17 in september, so most likely the first time I will ever sit in a car will be on my first driving lesson. Should I learn a bit with my dad before and delay my lessons, or is this a normal situation to be in? Also what happens in the first few lessons, because I think I will faint if I have to start driving straight away lol.

That's normal to be in - I was. What you do in the first few lessons, I've found depends on your instructor. On the practicing with your dad unless you're insured on the car,which will be expensive, it'll be illegal unless of course you live on a farm or something! :smile:

What car does your dad have?
Original post by Jack22031994
That's normal to be in - I was. What you do in the first few lessons, I've found depends on your instructor. On the practicing with your dad unless you're insured on the car,which will be expensive, it'll be illegal unless of course you live on a farm or something! :smile:

What car does your dad have?

It's a pretty nice audi, idk which on. Now I think about it he probs won't let me practice on that lol. I guess im just going to have to jump in in the deep end
Original post by jamesj477
It's a pretty nice audi, idk which on. Now I think about it he probs won't let me practice on that lol. I guess im just going to have to jump in in the deep end

Yeah I doubt it! Plus, i doubt anyone would insure you on it anyway. Yeah, but that's normal and remember, driving instructors are professionally trained to teach from scratch.
I've passed already (passed in the first test😊) but when I was learning it was roundabouts and junctions that I found trickiest.
Original post by fkx
Not too fussed with those questions because it's only one minor.

Yeah I like the videos from the channel World Driving. I wish he was my instructor!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah true. When I looked at the record sheet thing it turned out that I got a minor for the show me question, got it right, but slightly messed up (if that makes any sense :lol:) but I'm just gonna go through them again whenever I can :redface:

Fair enough. Take it the World Driving channel on YouTube is worth a watch then for tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 465
Original post by ohhello92x
Yeah true. When I looked at the record sheet thing it turned out that I got a minor for the show me question, got it right, but slightly messed up (if that makes any sense :lol:) but I'm just gonna go through them again whenever I can :redface:

Fair enough. Take it the World Driving channel on YouTube is worth a watch then for tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah watch his videos, very helpful and actually makes sense. He's got a lot of videos and Ive found them to be the best ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 466
I've got a few hours before my test 😱 nerves are kicking in big time now!

I'm jut reading through the show me tell me questions and trying to stay calm😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fkx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck!
Original post by fkx
Yeah watch his videos, very helpful and actually makes sense. He's got a lot of videos and Ive found them to be the best ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good..fair enough:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fkx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw good luck 🙂 I'm sure you'll be fine, let us know how you get on 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
So after a year out of lessons due to my health, I'm now back at driving lessons. I had my first lesson today and it was with a new instructor. I made a thread like this last year when I first started and thought I'd make another :colondollar:

I think back then, gears were my biggest hurdle. Now its definitely the clutch and acceleration. I either don't rev enough or I don't lift the clutch up in time or all that jazz. Stalled 3 times today and all at busy junctions :colondollar: after a year out though, I was expecting it. Not a lover of reversing either. I can reverse perfectly in a straight line but that's it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sometimes, it's the car because it's been abused by so many learner drivers that the instructors car has a clutch that is sub-standard. If you try out a newer car, you can tell if it's you or the car.
Reply 471
Original post by rayquaza17
Good luck!

Thank you! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 472
Aw good luck 🙂 I'm sure you'll be fine, let us know how you get on 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you ☺️

Yeah I'll definitely do that when I'm back 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fkx
Thank you ☺️

Yeah I'll definitely do that when I'm back 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 474
You're welcome ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just back from the test. Another fail 😭 10mins in, he said to do a reverse around the corner which is my least confident manoeuvre. I did the first part but it was way too wide and there was a van behind me which put me off so he told me to just drive off. So that's when I knew I failed 😭 but obviously had to carry on.

Gutted because I got 5 minors which is way less than I got last time. My examiner was so sweet, he spent a few minutes talking about the test after, saying if I got that manoeuvre correct I would have passed easily 😢

I'm going to book my next one asap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fkx
Just back from the test. Another fail 😭 10mins in, he said to do a reverse around the corner which is my least confident manoeuvre. I did the first part but it was way too wide and there was a van behind me which put me off so he told me to just drive off. So that's when I knew I failed 😭 but obviously had to carry on.

Gutted because I got 5 minors which is way less than I got last time. My examiner was so sweet, he spent a few minutes talking about the test after, saying if I got that manoeuvre correct I would have passed easily 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no! Sorry to hear 🙁

Ahh how gutting for you 🙁 suppose you can get your instructor to make that a main focus and to go over the reverse round the corner with you until you take your next test :redface: but yeah make sure you get your next test booked asap :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 476
Oh no! Sorry to hear 🙁

Ahh how gutting for you 🙁 suppose you can get your instructor to make that a main focus and to go over the reverse round the corner with you until you take your next test :redface: but yeah make sure you get your next test booked asap :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I know, I cried a little bit when he was explaining it to me at the end 😢 what I should have done was go back to the starting position and just do the whole manoeuvre again but I panicked and was too nervous.

But I feel like I drove a lot better this time than last, even the examiner said it was a smooth, good drive. It was just that bloody manoeuvre

Yeah I think I'm going to need a whole lesson just going through the manoeuvres until I'm confident with them all.

I've booked another one, next available date is the 24th October at 2:52pm 😭 ️hopefully I'll get an earlier date!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fkx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that :frown: that's really annoying especially as you're actual driving was fine :smile:.just keep at it on the manevoures and I'm sure you'll pass next time! :smile:
Reply 478
Original post by Jack22031994
Sorry to hear that :frown: that's really annoying especially as you're actual driving was fine :smile:.just keep at it on the manevoures and I'm sure you'll pass next time! :smile:

Thank you. 😊
Yeah exactly, that's what I'm focusing on. I drove a lot better this time.

Now I just need to master these manoeuvres and hopefully it'll be a pass next time! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fkx
Thank you. 😊
Yeah exactly, that's what I'm focusing on. I drove a lot better this time.

Now I just need to master these manoeuvres and hopefully it'll be a pass next time! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending