The Student Room Group

Do people with anxiety/depression go to uni???

I have had anxiety all my life which has meant it is hard for me to be in social situations and i often have to have my alone time. I also find it hard to go outside sometimes, it depends on the day. The most annoying thing is that people just don't understand this and they think I'm being rude and unsociable. I have a place at uni in September where i'll be moving away from home. Am i being realistic here, do people with issues like mine actually move away to uni? Any advice would be great

Scroll to see replies

Mine is not really professional advice as much as personal opinion. I think seclusion from public life may make matters worse. Perhaps college is a step forward in the right direction. It is almost certain you will meet other people going through the same struggles
(edited 7 years ago)
I have anxiety and severe depression but I've just finished my first year at Uni away from home. It was difficult but if you ask for support, you'll get it :smile:

You'll hopefully meet a good group of friends who who'll understand too. Try not to worry :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
Mine is not really professional advice as much as personal opinion. I think seclusion from public life may make matters worse. Perhaps college is a step forward in the right direction. It is almost certain you will meet other people going through the same struggles

Yeh i was thinking the same, if i just try and hide away even more it might make it worse.. advice is appreciated thanks.
Original post by usycool1
I have anxiety and severe depression but I've just finished my first year at Uni away from home. It was difficult but if you ask for support, you'll get it :smile:

You'll hopefully meet a good group of friends who who'll understand too. Try not to worry :smile:

Definitely agree with this. Universities have support for depression and anxiety, you just need to take that first step and ask for it - once you do I'm sure you'll have a better time with things and just be able to get on with things :smile:
Reply 5

That makes me feel better knowing i'm not the only one! I asked my uni for support and they are putting some things in place for me, i hope it all goes well for me
Original post by Anonymous
That makes me feel better knowing i'm not the only one! I asked my uni for support and they are putting some things in place for me, i hope it all goes well for me

That's awesome, just be sure to take some of their advice and even small things like doing a little exercise helps with dealing with things (but yeah, it can be hard some days).
Good luck, what are you going to be studying by the way?
Reply 7
I have had anxiety all my life which has meant it is hard for me to be in social situations and i often have to have my alone time. I also find it hard to go outside sometimes, it depends on the day. The most annoying thing is that people just don't understand this and they think I'm being rude and unsociable. I have a place at uni in September where i'll be moving away from home. Am i being realistic here, do people with issues like mine actually move away to uni? Any advice would be great

Yeah, definitely possible I did it. I even managed to do my LPC and Masters. I've to admit though, I was heavily sedated for all my seminars and lectures and workshops and my attendance was extremely low. Half of the time, I was actually just sitting there half asleep or asleep. None of my tutors knew about my problems, or the drugs but I guess they just liked me because they'd turn a blind eye, most of the time (maybe because my grades were really good). However, things went totally downhill when I started work...... So yeah, this advice

is really good. You should seek support from the very start. It'll be too late later. Get help while you're still at uni.
Reply 8
Original post by Ciel.
Yeah, definitely possible I did it. I even managed to do my LPC and Masters. I've to admit though, I was heavily sedated for all my seminars and lectures and workshops and my attendance was extremely low. Half of the time, I was actually just sitting there half asleep or asleep. None of my tutors knew about my problems, or the drugs but I guess they just liked me because they'd turn a blind eye, most of the time (maybe because my grades were really good). However, things went totally downhill when I started work...... So yeah, this advice

is really good. You should seek support from the very start. It'll be too late later. Get help while you're still at uni.

I having cognitive behavioural therapy at the moment so hopefully i can continue will that while i'm at uni, i also take medication which makes me really sleepy and tired which worries me. If you don't mind me asking how did you get on which the social aspect of uni? like going out and stuff. this really worries me as i feel like i won't be able to make friends, especially as i'm living there
Reply 9
Original post by catinsomehat
That's awesome, just be sure to take some of their advice and even small things like doing a little exercise helps with dealing with things (but yeah, it can be hard some days).
Good luck, what are you going to be studying by the way?

I don't want people to think i'm weird (which people have actually called me btw) for not going out and partying ect.. i'll be studying English :smile:

Yes they do, but some of them come unstuck, whilst other flourish.

I would have said get it under control before you go but as you already have a place you need some clear strageies on how to combat the anxiety and deal with social situations. At the beginning everyone will be freindly, so its importnat to make an effort. If you wnat alone time then be polite about it and if you meet the right friends then explain you just find some of it a bit overwhelming. If they are nice people they will give you space. Be careful you dont retreat and impose too much alone time or you could isolate yourself.

Think about enrolling with the uni therapost or counselor and use it as an opportunty to help you have a fresh start and gain more confidence.
i suffered from anxiety, and just completed my degree with a first. you will be fine, but when you get there meet with the welfare staff to plan how you will manage, do not avoid doing that. for me, they offered (without any assessment) the ability to change class or miss classes completely. more help and assistance is available if you get your disability assessed. i went home roughly every 3-4 weeks to a psychologist.

as for the social side, i was suffering social anxiety, but viewed it as a form of therapy to reintegrate and make new friends. you will never overcome anxiety or phobias without confronting them, so for you now is as good a time as any to do so. good luck
Reply 12
I having cognitive behavioural therapy at the moment so hopefully i can continue will that while i'm at uni, i also take medication which makes me really sleepy and tired which worries me. If you don't mind me asking how did you get on which the social aspect of uni? like going out and stuff. this really worries me as i feel like i won't be able to make friends, especially as i'm living there

My anxiety isn't really 'social anxiety' so social aspects of uni weren't really a problem for me. I made friends easily, and would go out a lot etc. so I'm afraid I can't advise you on that. My anxiety is just... I don't know what it is. I disliked the feeling of being 'trapped' though - like being stuck in a lecture - then I hated being stuck in the office etc etc but you can always leave, it can be a bit awkward though... But in my case it's not usually because of people. I get anxious even when I'm at home. Often my own memories send me into total panic. And stress makes it worse somehow.
Still, there were quite a few really shy people at uni so I'm sure you will be fine (I know that anxiety and shyness are two different things but most people can't tell the difference so they won't discriminate against you or anything).
I'm sure university is a great process for people with depression/anxiety to go through, given the right support. I imagine it would be quite difficult though. I don't suffer from either but my mother suffers from depression and my best friend is incredibly anxious, so that's just my interpretation. Others will know more but I'm sure you'll gain a lot from the experience :smile:
Two of my closest friends have depression (one has anxiety and pstd also) and they ve done brilliantly at uni. They ve both had brilliant support from both of their universities if they ve needed it.
Original post by Ciel.
My anxiety isn't really 'social anxiety' so social aspects of uni weren't really a problem for me. I made friends easily, and would go out a lot etc. so I'm afraid I can't advise you on that. My anxiety is just... I don't know what it is. I disliked the feeling of being 'trapped' though - like being stuck in a lecture - then I hated being stuck in the office etc etc but you can always leave, it can be a bit awkward though... But in my case it's not usually because of people. I get anxious even when I'm at home. Often my own memories send me into total panic. And stress makes it worse somehow.
Still, there were quite a few really shy people at uni so I'm sure you will be fine (I know that anxiety and shyness are two different things but most people can't tell the difference so they won't discriminate against you or anything).

Thanks thats helpful, i have social anxiety but also anxiety similar to yours where i get it home, when I'm alone... literally anywhere at any time. Yep hopefully people will understand my problems, i really really hope they do

Yes, im going. I'd recommend getting help with from a gp, it's definately worth a try.
i suffered from anxiety, and just completed my degree with a first. you will be fine, but when you get there meet with the welfare staff to plan how you will manage, do not avoid doing that. for me, they offered (without any assessment) the ability to change class or miss classes completely. more help and assistance is available if you get your disability assessed. i went home roughly every 3-4 weeks to a psychologist.

as for the social side, i was suffering social anxiety, but viewed it as a form of therapy to reintegrate and make new friends. you will never overcome anxiety or phobias without confronting them, so for you now is as good a time as any to do so. good luck

I've asked them for help and they said they'd contact me over the summer to discuss it, like you say it may also be a form of therapy for me to face my issues head on rather than avoiding them which i do now. Thanks btw
They probably do. Hopefully uni life will cheer them up and make them happy again!
Have you thought about applying for Disability Students Allowance? I applied for it based on a few medical conditions I have, two of them being anxiety and depression and they've put a lot of support in place for me. When I start uni in September I'll have a mentor in place to help me deal with being away from home, my feelings etc., that I'll see once a week, if I find it too difficult I may be exempt from doing presentations, etc., etc. It creates a comfortable, supportive feeling, I'm not too worried about people thinking I'm being ridiculous and oversensitive because I actually have DSA to support me and validate my feelings and condition, if that makes any sense.

I hope you have a great time at uni!

Quick Reply

Latest