The Student Room Group

Unfair train fine!!!

I was on the train about a week ago, and when asked for my railcard I realised I had left it in another bag which I didn't have with me. The train manager gave me a penalty fare notice and said I had until 16th August to send off a copy of my railcard, or if not, pay a £20 fine.

Then I received a letter from revenue protection support services, saying that my fine was overdue and that I now owe £40. The letter is dated 5th August.

Everywhere I look online it clearly says that a passenger has 21 days to pay £20.

I am about to send off a copy of my railcard, as this incident was genuinely an honest mistake, but should I make some kind of complaint about this letter?

I think it's really unfair that I could have been unable to find my railcard, and had I not been the kind of person to check, I might have paid double what I am supposed to. I wonder how many people do end up doing this?
I was "almost" arrested for buying a child ticket at 16. Yes, it's as serious as that.
Original post by abc:)
I was on the train about a week ago, and when asked for my railcard I realised I had left it in another bag which I didn't have with me. The train manager gave me a penalty fare notice and said I had until 16th August to send off a copy of my railcard, or if not, pay a £20 fine.

Then I received a letter from revenue protection support services, saying that my fine was overdue and that I now owe £40. The letter is dated 5th August.

Everywhere I look online it clearly says that a passenger has 21 days to pay £20.

I am about to send off a copy of my railcard, as this incident was genuinely an honest mistake, but should I make some kind of complaint about this letter?

I think it's really unfair that I could have been unable to find my railcard, and had I not been the kind of person to check, I might have paid double what I am supposed to. I wonder how many people do end up doing this?

A penalty fare notice is better than what I ve experienced , I ve not had mine and been made to pay the excess to make it up to a full adult fare once. I recon they ll ignore your complaint to be honest. Which train company was it?
Original post by shawn_o1
I was "almost" arrested for buying a child ticket at 16. Yes, it's as serious as that.

How old is a child ticket? How old do you look? How did they know you weren't a child, did you tell them? Did you knowingly buy the wrong priced ticket?
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1

I can believe this. A friend of mine owed some money to the council and only found out about it because she received a summons to court. Obviously she never ended up going; it was sent to intimidate.

I'm not sure what I should do, I'm fuming, I know that if you travel on the wrong ticket you can be fined and I don't disagree with that but they surely can't just break their own rules and overcharge people, it's fraudulent.
Original post by BRONZEMEDAL1
How old is a child ticket? How old do you look? How did they know you weren't a child, did you tell them? Did you knowingly buy the wrong priced ticket?

I was misinformed by my parents (of all people)

(The guy who stopped me asked for my ID's because just telling age didn't convince him. I had to do this: :cry2: to be let off)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
A penalty fare notice is better than what I ve experienced , I ve not had mine and been made to pay the excess to make it up to a full adult fare once. I recon they ll ignore your complaint to be honest. Which train company was it?

It was London Midland, and the letter was from Revenue Protection Support Services. What if I had paid £40? Surely there would have had to be a process for me to claim back the extra £20 which I never owed?
Reply 7
So just to update seeing as I was posting my rail card and everything anyway I included a copy of the letter they sent me and a letter I wrote asking why it has the wrong date on it. I don't expect a reply though!
It is harsh, but it is the way of the world. The rule is that if you don't have a railcard, you shouldn't travel, just as you shouldn't travel without a ticket. I would ignore whatever the guard may or may not have said and just go with the letter. It sucks but life sucks sometimes.

Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by ByEeek
It is harsh, but it is the way of the world. The rule is that if you don't have a railcard, you shouldn't travel, just as you shouldn't travel without a ticket. I would ignore whatever the guard may or may not have said and just go with the letter. It sucks but life sucks sometimes.

Good luck!

Hmm, this is the problem though - some people would think like that and follow that advice. This would mean they'd end up over paying, which is unfair, although it is fair to pay the normal set price of a fine.

The thing is, he didn't just say it - he handed me a piece of paper which it is printed on. It is official London Midland paper which he and I both signed, there was also a transport police officer there (probably why he was checking tickets). The paper clearly states that A) I have 21 days to pay the £20 fine and B) I can alternatively send a copy of my railcard.

This is backed up elsewhere:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/transport/transport/public-transport/trains/train-penalty-fares/

http://www.londonmidland.com/tickets-and-fares/more/penalty-fares/

The letter is the only piece of information which contradicts everything else.
How much was the penalty fare?

Latest

Trending

Trending