The Student Room Group

Is it rude to describe an overweight person as 'fat'?

Or is that the accurate term?

Scroll to see replies

The main problemmo with the word "fat" is the negative connotations associated with the word. Yeah, any overweight person can be called fat- but would you look at a body builder and call them fat, despite them being overweight from their muscle?? Naah

By all means, call someone fat to describe them- but half the time you're not just calling them big. People think it's laziness, sloppiness, lack of hygiene, perhaps uglier if you want to go down the "Boohoo overweight=ugly" debate.

Being overweight throughout my childhood taught me people use words every day they have no idea what they mean, and "fat" was one of the worst used ones. Lost 30lbs now and healthy, but the use of the word fat needs to be cleared up and ideally stop being used. People are overweight? Woheyyy get you you spotted a body type! Don't even comment on their body pal
Fat people have excess body fat

Only seems fitting to refer to them as fat
Original post by TelAviv
Fat people have excess body fat

Only seems fitting to refer to them as fat

The truth hurts. :biggrin:
Original post by fayeztheman

Yes it is rude simply because you tend not to describe people who are not fat as thin. You don't say, "Look at that normal looking person." So why would you draw attention to someone who looked a bit different?
Original post by ByEeek
Yes it is rude simply because you tend not to describe people who are not fat as thin. You don't say, "Look at that normal looking person." So why would you draw attention to someone who looked a bit different?

I'm not advocating harassing or bullying but sometimes a cold hard dose of the truth is required, being overweight is a choice(minus some outliers who have genuine medical reasons) and the health problems it brings are a drain on the NHS.

I say that as someone who was unfit and overweight for years before I got my act together.
Original post by JamesN88
I'm not advocating harassing or bullying but sometimes a cold hard dose of the truth is required, being overweight is a choice(minus some outliers who have genuine medical reasons) and the health problems it brings are a drain on the NHS.

And do you really think that people who are overweight need someone to give them a reality check? I mean seriously? Do you think after a harsh word they will turn to you and say, "Do you know what, I was wondering why I got out of breath going up the stairs. Thanks for pointing that out to me." Honestly?

And a choice? It is easy to judge, but having lived with my wife for the last three years who simply wants to shift a mere stone (6kg) of pregnancy weight, I can tell you for free that it isn't easy. Being overweight can happen more easily than you imagine and once you are in, you are trapped. Sure, you can lose it but chances are you will put it on again. And before you judge, no we don't eat takeaways, do cook all our own food, do exercise, do live a healthy life. But when you come home at 6.30pm to two kids who need putting to bed, by the time it is done, quite frankly, going exercising is the last thing on your mind.

It is easy to judge based on your own life - I have done it. But it is neither helpful or fair.
it's as rude as it is to call an underweight person skinny. the words fat and skinny are not compliments, and insulting anyone is rude
Would 'cupcake shape' be more appropriate?
Or 'cuddly'?
'Poofy'?
Original post by fayeztheman

(Note to self: Humans are able to have a vacuum within their cranium)
I don't understand why people have become little sensitive snowflakes.
Yes it's okay to call someone fat. But it is in bad taste to just shout fat to a random stranger on the street.
Original post by Electrospective
I don't understand why people have become little sensitive snowflakes.
Yes it's okay to call someone fat. But it is in bad taste to just shout fat to a random stranger on the street.

Or it may just be that as people get older and more sensitive towards others' feelings that they realise how ignorant, rude, and insensitive it is.
Original post by Seamus123
Or it may just be that as people get older and more sensitive towards others' feelings that they realise how ignorant, rude, and insensitive it is.

Nah. I prefer my take on things. :colonhash:
Reply 15
well it isn't wrong...
Original post by ByEeek
And do you really think that people who are overweight need someone to give them a reality check? I mean seriously? Do you think after a harsh word they will turn to you and say, "Do you know what, I was wondering why I got out of breath going up the stairs. Thanks for pointing that out to me." Honestly?

Just giving people grief obviously won't help, but trying to educate people as to the dangers to their health with molly-coddling them might get through to some people. I've certainly never tried to fat-shame anyone or made any kind of remark to people I don't know.

And a choice? It is easy to judge, but having lived with my wife for the last three years who simply wants to shift a mere stone (6kg) of pregnancy weight, I can tell you for free that it isn't easy.

Apart from it being medically related (like this reason is without meaning to sound patronising) then it is a choice for most people. I refuse to believe that those guzzling junk food like it's nobody's business don't know that what they're eating is bad for them. I know some women do struggle to shift their baby weight and not through lack of trying..

Being overweight can happen more easily than you imagine and once you are in, you are trapped. Sure, you can lose it but chances are you will put it on again.

I know, I've been there.

And before you judge, no we don't eat takeaways, do cook all our own food, do exercise, do live a healthy life. But when you come home at 6.30pm to two kids who need putting to bed, by the time it is done, quite frankly, going exercising is the last thing on your mind.

It is easy to judge based on your own life - I have done it. But it is neither helpful or fair.

Fair enough. I realise ex-overweight people(like ex-smokers of which I am also one) can be self-righteous ****ers when relating to the problems that used to afflict them.
Yeah it's an accurate term a lot of the time but some people might find it hurtful because of the connotations and associations. However, other guys are cool with it - I used to know a guy named Fat Sam the Magic Man and he was awesome.
Slightly overweight =/= fat

Severly overweight = fat

Its not a very nice thing to say to anyone, but that should be completely irrelevant.
You're not "supposed" to call them fat. You're not "supposed" to have large quantities of junk food for every meal, either, but...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending