The Student Room Group

I don`t want to go to college, but what else is there to do?

I really really really do NOT want to go to college. I have tried looking into apprenticeships but none appeal to me. I just want to go straight into work but I have to stay in education until I`m 18. Is there anything else I can do. Like volunteering in other countries?
Original post by livvylue2000
I really really really do NOT want to go to college. I have tried looking into apprenticeships but none appeal to me. I just want to go straight into work but I have to stay in education until I`m 18. Is there anything else I can do. Like volunteering in other countries?

Don't dare quit school. Finish your studies. Whatever else you want to do ain't going nowhere. It will still be there after you clear college. If you manage to secure any work now, your pals who will go to college and graduate will overtake you within months.
Almost everyone feels the contempt for college at the stage you are in. But some mistakes are hard to live with, and nearly impossible to recover from.
STAY IN SCHOOL
(edited 7 years ago)
Apprenticeships are the closest thing to going straight to work, and allow you to earn while you study- what is it about them not appealing to you? Do you know what area you want to work in?
It's officially the law but nothing happens if you just leave education at 16.

However I wouldn't recommend it, there's a boat load more options for Level 3 courses when you're aged 16-19(all for free) compared to post 19 there's very little except Access Courses to get into uni and adult GCSE classes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
Don't dare quit school. Finish your studies. Whatever else you want to do ain't going nowhere. It will still be there after you clear college. If you manage to secure any work now, your pals who will go to college and graduate will overtake you within months.
Almost everyone feels the contempt for college at the stage you are in. But some mistakes are hard to live with, and nearly impossible to recover from.
STAY IN SCHOOL

Join the pile of grads wandering the streets of their parents house, playing Pokemon Go all day because they've done Mickey Mouse degrees, and got a 2:2 rather than pursuing a job that actually interests them.

OP: Education isn't for everyone, at least not mainstream education. You don't need to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life at 16, but I promise you, having an idea is a lot better than trying to wing it. I found an old "careers test" from when I was 13, based on what your interests are etc. that tries to match you to a job you might enjoy. It was pretty much on the button with what I'm doing now.

I'll agree, a good education opens up more doors, but it's certainly not the end of the world.
Reply 5
I want to go into childcare. I applied for one but they never got back to me. Theres literally no apprenticeships where I live.
I want to go into childcare. I applied for one but they never got back to me. Theres literally no apprenticeships where I live.

So move? Find one that pays a decent wage and move to somewhere that has the job you want to do?

That's like saying you want to work on an off-shore oil rig but you live in Birmingham. If there aren't the opportunities by you, go where there are some.

Do none of the colleges near you offer the CACHE childcare qualifications? They involve a significant amount of placement.

Where do you live? I bet within 10 miles, which is a reasonable travel distance, there'd be some, and even if there isn't, as I said before, you could probably afford to move if you found a decent one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending