The Student Room Group

Parents who force vegan diets on their kids face jail time under new Italian law

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I grew up lacto vegetarian (no egg) and my mum got a hell of a hard time. Not too long ago I saw the nurse who used to run the baby clinic, she's amazed I'm so healthy without meat. The fact people haven't developed more sense in the last few decades is absurd.

I never felt forced, in fact the things that bothered me was other people trying to coax me into eating meat or acting like I was being forced ('just have a turkey dinosaur, we won't tell your mum' :facepalm:). I was no more indoctrinated into not eating meat than most people are indoctrinated into eating meat.

Children need a healthy balanced diet. Vegans have different considerations to omnis, that doesn't mean a healthy balanced diet isn't possible. Parents should be informed and, when needed, helped to provided a healthy balanced diet. Single out this as 'vegan bad' is simplistic, wrong and avoiding an opportunity to really engage with how best to ensure all kids have healthy balanced diets
Original post by thunder_chunky
Link.

For once the Italians get something right.

What defines forced here? What if the parents just cook vegan food at home and allow the child to go and buy non-vegan food with their own money? Should the parents have to buy meat just for the child?
Reply 22
Original post by BKS
I was no more indoctrinated into not eating meat than most people are indoctrinated into eating meat.

Indeed. Being fed meat from a young age enables people to be socially conditioned into becoming carnists.

Parents have control over many aspects of their children's lives. Parenting includes passing on one's moral values to one's children. The notion that abstaining, as far as possible, from hurting, harming and inflicting suffering on other sentient beings shouldn't be passed onto one's child is only justifiable if doing so will harm the health of the child which, as shown above, won't (if you're not nutritionally illiterate, which affects non-vegan parents as well as vegan parents).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Link.

What a stupid law.

Whats wrong with bringing your children up on a HEALTHY vegan diet.

Should parent who force a meat eating diet be prosecuted as well?
Reply 24
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I normally respect vegans (who aren't militant) because I tried going vegan and it failed miserably. Parents forcing their kids into vegan diets is terrible though. Some people will go through it and others won't.

Whats wrong with bringing your children up on an healthy diet?

Yes I can understand your concern if the vegan diet wasn't healthy, but as long as the parents do the right research and bring in the right food then they can bring their child up on an healthy vegan diet.

Prosecuting parents who bring their child up on a healthy diet is wrong and just stupid.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by loveleest
I love Italians for this.

You sound pathetic.. whats wrong with bring you child up on a diet as long as it is healthy?
Reply 26
A vegan diet is an inadequate diet. Vegans are inadequate people.

Is that why vegans are more likely to live longer than people who eat meat.

ffs do you even logic?

Listen just because yu don't like someones reasons for a diet it doesn't mean that the diet itself is inadequate. You idiot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
Should parents with obese kids also be prosecuted? Or is that ok because meat is involved in the diet?
Original post by topkart
You sound pathetic.. whats wrong with bring you child up on a diet as long as it is healthy?

lol... let your child grow up and decide what they want to do.
Original post by topkart

Yes I can understand your concern if the vegan diet wasn't healthy, but as long as the parents do the right research and bring in the right food then they can bring their child up on an healthy vegan diet.

Prosecuting parents who bring their child up on a healthy diet is wrong and just stupid.

Absolutely correct.

@MrsSheldonCooper he does make a GREAT point.
Link.

Original post by Serine Soul
Lol

Original post by Kendrik Lamar
PERFECT. Should extend to religion and bedtime as well

I love Italians for this.

All of you are absolute morons. :angry:
lol... let your child grow up and decide what they want to do.

You can bring them up on a healthy vegan diet then let them decided what to do once they older and understand.
Original post by topkart

They can be healthy eating meat as well you know.

They're FORCING children into it which is what's the problem.
Okay but it's about 'inadequate' diet, not 'vegan diet'. You are very silly if you think everyone who is vegan has an inadequte diet, and likewise everyone who isn't vegan has an adequate diet.

This is a good move though and something I support; just a shame people are using it against veganism like a bunch of sheep.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by greatguy903
You can bring them up on a healthy vegan diet then let them decided what to do once they older and understand.

Or you could let your child choose what foods whatever they want and then let them grow up and decide what to eat!

True. They can be unhealthy if they dont feed them the right foods. But children can also be unheathy on a meat diet.

The word force is a bit strong- I would say more bring up on a vegan diet. If you think that bringing someone up on a diet is forcing them then what do you say about people who are 'FORCING' their kids onto a meat diet?
Original post by Inexorably
Okay but it's about 'inadequate' diet, not 'vegan diet'. You are very silly if you think everyone who is vegan has an adequte diet, and likewise everyone who isn't vegan has an adequate diet.

This is a good move though and something I support; just a shame people are using it against veganism like a bunch of sheep.

EXACTLY.
Reply 38

This is just false. Feeding your children meat is also forcing them on to it. The fact of the matter is that parents should be able to feed their children what they want, as long as it doesn't negatively affect the health of the child. As shown above, vegan diets are perfectly suitable for children. Ergo, parents should be able to feed their children a vegan diet.

If parents gave their children a full and unconstrained choice about what to eat, they'd be eating chocolate 24/7. The argument from "freedom of choice" is fatally flawed.

Original post by Inexorably
Okay but it's about 'inadequate' diet, not 'vegan diet'. You are very silly if you think everyone who is vegan has an adequte diet, and likewise everyone who isn't vegan has an adequate diet.

Why is this a good move? Any parent who feeds their child an inadequate diet should be punished. Any nutritionally adequate diet should not - whether a nutritionally adequate omnivorous diet or a nutritionally adequate vegan diet.

Or you could let your child choose what foods whatever they want and then let them grow up and decide what to eat!

So, they'll just be eating chocolate 24/7 in that case. Parents have a right to feed their children whatever they want to feed them, as long as it doesn't negatively affect the health of the child. Both vegan diets and omnivorous diets can be nutritionally adequate, poorly planned vegan or omnivorous diets may not be nutritionally adequate.
(edited 7 years ago)

The bit in bold makes no sense.

Grow up and decide what to eat? but if they are already choosing what to eat at an early age then isn't that them already deciding what to eat?

Quick Reply

Latest