The Student Room Group

First time going gym

I'm planning on going to the gym (on my own) for the first time. I've never been to something like this before, so can anyone give me some advice on what to do?

Advice like what to wear, what exactly to do in the gym, no. of hours a week etc.

Also is boxing better than gym in terms of becoming fit and healthy? I was planing on going there too even though I'm not the type of guy who's into fighting.
Reply 1
Go to the fitness forum, read the FAQ
Reply 2
Original post by Mahfuz_A
I'm planning on going to the gym (on my own) for the first time. I've never been to something like this before, so can anyone give me some advice on what to do?

Advice like what to wear, what exactly to do in the gym, no. of hours a week etc.

Also is boxing better than gym in terms of becoming fit and healthy? I was planing on going there too even though I'm not the type of guy who's into fighting.

You shold first decide what you want to improve, which muscle groups you want to work on
Google workouts specifically for those muscle groups
! hour in the gym, 3 times a day is really good.
Find a routine for the gym online
Take your phoen and see what workouts you can do with the weights and machines
Original post by BKS
Go to the fitness forum, read the FAQ

This
Why don't you book an induction with one of the trainers? They can give you advice on what exercises are best for the results you want. In regards to clothes, make sure you're in something comfortable and that allows movement. I know it can be a bit daunting starting the gym, but once you get into the swing of things, you'll love it. Let us know how you get on!
You could use the treadmill for fitness and i also think the cycling bike thing is good too but for your legs. You could do weights or to get a v line just do plank for bout 1 1/2 minutes then 30 second rest then 1 min plank then rest then 30 seconds plank every day / every other night.

You should wear sports clothing, shorts/ jogging bottoms , maybe like a football shirt ( or any other sports/comfortable top) and a hoody.

I know that boxing is very good for fitness but im not sure u can compare it to the whole of the gym as gyms usually have a lot of equipment to offer. Your gym might even include some boxing equipment such as punching bags and boxing classess.

You might want to take a bag ( rucksack/drawstring bag) to keep your valuables in. You might be able to rent lockers or just carry your bag round with u. Id highly recommend taking EARPHONES and listening to music on ur phone or something as it can pass the time quicker and on things such as the treadmill can make u forget bout the running as your listening/concentrating on the music.
Original post by ,L,
You shold first decide what you want to improve, which muscle groups you want to work on

If your answer to this isn't "all of them" you're doing it wrong.
Reply 7

Hi, for being fit and healthy boxing is definitely better than the gym as the trainers are able to push you to your limits each session, getting you to improve.

I'd recommend an amateur boxing club rather than boxercise classes at gyms as they're much better for learning.

Feel free to message me with any more questions you have on the subject!

I'd recommend boxing. The gym can be a bit daunting a first as it feels like your entering another territory. Ease into it and keep to your goals!
In a similar situation, I’m very slim and need to go to the gym.
Going to the gym for the first time can be intimidating, but with a bit of preparation, it can be a positive and rewarding experience. Here are some things to keep in mind when going to the gym for the first time:

Dress comfortably: Wear clothing that allows you to move freely and comfortably, such as athletic wear or workout clothes. Avoid clothing that is too tight or restrictive.

Bring a water bottle: Staying hydrated during your workout is important, so be sure to bring a water bottle with you.

Start with a warm-up: Before diving into your workout, take a few minutes to warm up your body. This can include some light cardio or stretching.

Know your limits: It's important to start with a workout that is appropriate for your fitness level. Don't push yourself too hard, and listen to your body if you start to feel fatigued or in pain.

Ask for help: If you're unsure how to use a piece of equipment or are looking for guidance on how to start a workout routine, don't be afraid to ask a staff member or personal trainer for help.

Be respectful: The gym can be a busy place, so be sure to respect other gym-goers by wiping down equipment after use, not hogging equipment, and refraining from loud or disruptive behavior.

Have fun: Exercise should be enjoyable, so try to find workouts that you enjoy and look forward to. Celebrate your accomplishments, and don't get discouraged if you don't see results right away - progress takes time and consistency.

Quick Reply

Latest