The Student Room Group

Religious studies(philosophy and ethics OCR) or Maths at A2

Hi,

How is the step for both of these subjects from AS to A2, did you enjoy them and would you recommend them ? I have no Idea which one to drop !
(edited 7 years ago)
bump.
Original post by nihil_nimis
Hi,

How is the step for both of these subjects from AS to A2, did you enjoy them and would you recommend them ? I have no Idea which one to drop !

For RS, it's pretty intense. I remember how the workload just doubled in weight and it was even more theories you had to remember. The exam style questions changed too. At AS, it was 2 questions but at A-level there's only 1 question. They merge to two AS questions into 1 at A-level which means you constantly have to argue back and forth. For example, explain, argue, criticise, argue, conclusion. You have keep doing that backwards and forwards. It's so hard to master cause it can be confusing esp in exam conditions when you're trying to pull out every memory you have from revising.

But it was much more interesting than AS, well for Philosophy that is. Ethics is crap. You study silly things like business ethics and environmental ethics and stuff. It's so boring! But it does get harder cause of the concepts like the problem with religious language and the problem with ethical language (metaethics) which is ridiculously hard. I hated that.

It does test you though and even though I hated it, I loved it so much at the same time and now study Philosophy at uni.

I say, drop your least favourite A-level. That's what it ultimately comes down to. A2 level is hard work so studying something you don't want or like, will really effect your grades in the long run.

Good luck!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
For RS, it's pretty intense. I remember how the workload just doubled in weight and it was even more theories you had to remember. The exam style questions changed too. At AS, it was 2 questions but at A-level there's only 1 question. They merge to two AS questions into 1 at A-level which means you constantly have to argue back and forth. For example, explain, argue, criticise, argue, conclusion. You have keep doing that backwards and forwards. It's so hard to master cause it can be confusing esp in exam conditions when you're trying to pull out every memory you have from revising.

But it was much more interesting than AS, well for Philosophy that is. Ethics is crap. You study silly things like business ethics and environmental ethics and stuff. It's so boring! But it does get harder cause of the concepts like the problem with religious language and the problem with ethical language (metaethics) which is ridiculously hard. I hated that.

It does test you though and even though I hated it, I loved it so much at the same time and now study Philosophy at uni.

I say, drop your least favourite A-level. That's what it ultimately comes down to. A2 level is hard work so studying something you don't want or like, will really effect your grades in the long run.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, is there still applied bits for ethics (abortion, war, euthanasia etc. ). Also is it a lot harder to get Higher grades in A2 than it is at AS ? Also when you say the workload has doubled does that mean there is twice as much content to learn ?

Thanks.
Thanks for the reply, is there still applied bits for ethics (abortion, war, euthanasia etc. ). Also is it a lot harder to get Higher grades in A2 than it is at AS ? Also when you say the workload has doubled does that mean there is twice as much content to learn ?

Thanks.

Erm yeah. I cant remember much. But u do things like sexual ethics. You apply a lot fo religion to the applied ethics. So its not just about Kant. But Aquinas, st Augustine, etc. I thought applied ethixs was good. You study moral development in children its so good!

Erm tes in terms of you have tog et your essay technique right in order to get higher grades. Having said that, i more-or-less got the same grades at A2/AS. But thats subjective.

Yeah the content gets 2x heavier because you go into way more depth on certain topics. We never learned the Attributes of god cause our philo teacher said a)she didnt like it b) its the longest topic and c) its also the hardest topic there and it trips up dozens of students who try and answer the question in the exam. And its heavier cause you have to learn so many philosophers for and then against and then philosophers who criticize both. But if you decide to stick with you'll understand what i mean.
I enjoyed RS at A2, granted some topics are a little difficult but once you've got your head around it it's quite simple.
Philosophy you'll study life after death, religious language (sounds boring but it's actually my favourite topic), religious experience, nature of God (this is attributes from AS, not much to say on this topic).
In ethics you'll study virtue ethics, meta ethics (similar to religious language), sexual ethics, environmental ethics, business ethics, and then there is free will and determinism, and conscience. Free will and determinism and the conscience topic are my personal favourites in ethics, and if you like psychology then you'll enjoy those two topics.
Our teacher told us that people do tend to get lower marks at A2 but purely because of the style of the essay and how you're supposed to structure it.
But it all depends on what you enjoy.
Good luck!
Drop Maths.
Original post by aliciawebb_
I enjoyed RS at A2, granted some topics are a little difficult but once you've got your head around it it's quite simple.
Philosophy you'll study life after death, religious language (sounds boring but it's actually my favourite topic), religious experience, nature of God (this is attributes from AS, not much to say on this topic).
In ethics you'll study virtue ethics, meta ethics (similar to religious language), sexual ethics, environmental ethics, business ethics, and then there is free will and determinism, and conscience. Free will and determinism and the conscience topic are my personal favourites in ethics, and if you like psychology then you'll enjoy those two topics.
Our teacher told us that people do tend to get lower marks at A2 but purely because of the style of the essay and how you're supposed to structure it.
But it all depends on what you enjoy.
Good luck!

Thank you, how was it compared to AS ? Also is the essay structure really different, I thought it was just instead of a part a and part b its put together in one question ? Was there a big increase in the amount of content/workload ? And did people who did well at AS also tend to do well at A2 ?

Also if you don't mind what grade did you get at AS and A2 and do you have any tips or advice ? Sorry for all the questions :redface:

Thank you.
Original post by sulaimanali
Drop Maths.

Why ? Is it a big step up ?
Religious studies, you develop great essay writing skills from the course and more transferable skills😊 it is by far my favourite subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Welshgirl20
Religious studies, you develop great essay writing skills from the course and more transferable skills😊 it is by far my favourite subject

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, was it a big step up from AS ?
Thank you, was it a big step up from AS ?

I did WJEC and I didn't find it the biggest step up. As long as you work hard and consistently then you'll be ok 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest