The Student Room Group

How to start well with your Personal Statement?

For anyone starting on their Personal Statement, why not check out the following Mindmap that we have just created on the subject?

Hope this helps! and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

UniAdmissions
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UniAdmissions
For anyone starting on their Personal Statement, why not check out thefollowing Mindmap that we have just created on the subject?

Hope this help! and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

UniAdmissions

i dont know how to write one :redface:im going to sixth form next year btw
Reply 2
Original post by PrincessBO$$

Then you don't have to worry about it until next August. There won't be any point in you doing it now, and you may chabge your mind completely after you receive your AS results.
Original post by PrincessBO$$

Hi PrincessBO$$,

That's great that you start thinking about it early, but don't worry too much about writing it at this early stage.
What you should do first is brainstorm. Put down any ideas or thought about why you want to study at Uni.
Then try and organise everything into a well structured plan. But you still have plenty of time before even reaching this stage!

You might want to watch this vlog, which introduces you to writing a PS.

Hope this helps and give me a shout if you have any question! :smile:

UniAdmissions
Does it matter if my PS is short of 4000 characters (by 50 characters)? Or should I try to add more? thanks
Reply 5
Your PS has no real set minimum, I think my college said they wouldn't send it off unless it was more than 2000 characters. However it is acceptable to be up to 250 charters out. Also NEVER use the word passionate!! it is HATED by unis as it is overused and students never really mean it.
Original post by EmDavies19
Does it matter if my PS is short of 4000 characters (by 50 characters)? Or should I try to add more? thanks

You should be worrying more about the line limit, as that is likely to be reached before the character limit
Original post by *Interrobang*
You should be worrying more about the line limit, as that is likely to be reached before the character limit

I'm 5 lines of the line limit too
Original post by EmDavies19
I'm 5 lines of the line limit too

The line count in Word is different to the one on the UCAS page. Realistically, 47 lines is more like 3200-3600 characters in UCAS, and you should most definitely aim to have a line break between each paragraph
Original post by *Interrobang*
The line count in Word is different to the one on the UCAS page. Realistically, 47 lines is more like 3200-3600 characters in UCAS, and you should most definitely aim to have a line break between each paragraph

That's really helpful! Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending