The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Mature Students 2016

Hi everyone,

My name is Lea and I have an offer to study combined honours at Newcastle from September 2016. I will be attending as a 28 year old mature student and I was just wondering how many more of "mature" students there will be, not just on combined honours, but on any degree?

I have applied for Albion House, Barker House, Manor Bank, Bowsden Court and Verde as my accomodation choices, although I think will rent privately and would be very interested in hearing from other mature/postgrads who are thinking of doing the same.
Original post by leela88
Hi everyone,

My name is Lea and I have an offer to study combined honours at Newcastle from September 2016. I will be attending as a 28 year old mature student and I was just wondering how many more of "mature" students there will be, not just on combined honours, but on any degree?

I have applied for Albion House, Barker House, Manor Bank, Bowsden Court and Verde as my accomodation choices, although I think will rent privately and would be very interested in hearing from other mature/postgrads who are thinking of doing the same.

Hi Lea,

We have loads of mature students at Newcastle Uni :smile: Personally I had friends and coursemates ranging from teenagers who had come straight from college to 30-somethings who were married with children. You'll find like-minded people whatever the age group.

We have a Mature Students Society as well so I'd recommend dropping them a line for more info :smile: Hopefully they can put you in touch with people who rented privately too.

All the best
Persephone
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Hey, I'm 26 and male and will probably be making Newcastle my firm. I will be renting privately for sure, living with 5 18 year old's sounds like hell haha.
Original post by leela88
Hi everyone,

Hi Lea, you are not the only one! I am 25 and have an offer for UG Law 2016
I am just starting to look into accommodation but will also consider renting option
Helen
Reply 4
Hello all, I guess I'm the old man of the group thus far. I'm Karl, 35 years old. I live in Gateshead and I'm staying put for my studies, a short metro ride away to the cheap side of the tracks. I'm studying Politics and Sociology BA Hons. (Sept 2016). As a local, maybe I can help people, I'm certainly open to sharing what I know, but you may quickly find I've selective knowledge! For example, I've no idea about the much touted Newcastle night life and pub/club scene. I like a nice quiet pub, but even better a comfy restaurant or café!

Anyways, if anyone is considering private rentals, I can certainly weigh in on dodgy / problem areas both in Gateshead and Newcastle. Gateshead is dirt cheap and on the mainline of the metro (the metro has a yellow line and a green line, but between Gosforth and Pelaw they are the same line and within this area, which includes Gateshead and Newcastle , you can use any train turning up). However Gateshead is cheap for a reason.

I'm considering if I want to buy the £60 wrist band for fresher's week. Last year, from the forums on TSR, it sounds like they had a lot of activities, like paint ball and sports. These are not really my thing, I could push myself, just to be sociable though. The big pull is the week long club-night parties. This is definitely NOT my scene. I only like my own loud music! But generally, I'm a lover of quiet calm and witty / clever banter. I am scared of ostracizing myself if I don't go though.
+1!

Private rent isn't so bad - and there are some stunning flats in NCL. I'm at Staiths South Bank which is a fantastic little estate and pay £300 pcm flatshare
Original post by leela88
Hi everyone,

Hey,

My name is Jordan, I'm gonna be doing combined as well, I'm also 22 so it'll be cool to know someone in the same boat 😊
Reply 7
Original post by JordanC55
Hey,

My name is Jordan, I'm gonna be doing combined as well, I'm also 22 so it'll be cool to know someone in the same boat 😊

Nice to meet you Jordan. Sorry I didn't see this before now. What subjects will you be taking as part of combined honours?

Original post by paytonbyrne
Hi Lea, you are not the only one! I am 25 and have an offer for UG Law 2016
I am just starting to look into accommodation but will also consider renting option
Helen

Hi Helen, have you had any luck with private renting? I'm still undecided on whether to rent privately or go into uni accomodation.

Original post by mmquicksand
Hey, I'm 26 and male and will probably be making Newcastle my firm. I will be renting privately for sure, living with 5 18 year old's sounds like hell haha.

I think i'd go in the postgrad halls if anything. Everybody is our age and I think that's where Newcastle place all mature students anyway.

Original post by Karl.X
Hello all, I guess I'm the old man of the group thus far. I'm Karl, 35 years old. I live in Gateshead and I'm staying put for my studies, a short metro ride away to the cheap side of the tracks. I'm studying Politics and Sociology BA Hons. (Sept 2016). As a local, maybe I can help people, I'm certainly open to sharing what I know, but you may quickly find I've selective knowledge! For example, I've no idea about the much touted Newcastle night life and pub/club scene. I like a nice quiet pub, but even better a comfy restaurant or café!Anyways, if anyone is considering private rentals, I can certainly weigh in on dodgy / problem areas both in Gateshead and Newcastle. Gateshead is dirt cheap and on the mainline of the metro (the metro has a yellow line and a green line, but between Gosforth and Pelaw they are the same line and within this area, which includes Gateshead and Newcastle , you can use any train turning up). However Gateshead is cheap for a reason.I'm considering if I want to buy the £60 wrist band for fresher's week. Last year, from the forums on TSR, it sounds like they had a lot of activities, like paint ball and sports. These are not really my thing, I could push myself, just to be sociable though. The big pull is the week long club-night parties. This is definitely NOT my scene. I only like my own loud music! But generally, I'm a lover of quiet calm and witty / clever banter. I am scared of ostracizing myself if I don't go though.

I'm keen to try the activities as well. Like you say, it gets us meeting people and i don't think our ages should put us off.

Are we all going to the mature students meet?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by leela88
Nice to meet you Jordan. Sorry I didn't see this before now. What subjects will you be taking as part of combined honours?

Hi Helen, have you had any luck with private renting? I'm still undecided on whether to rent privately or go into uni accomodation.

I think i'd go in the postgrad halls if anything. Everybody is our age and I think that's where Newcastle place all mature students anyway.

I'm keen to try the activities as well. Like you say, it gets us meeting people and i don't think our ages should put us off.

I think I'll be doing Linguistics and Business or maybe politics - I'm not completely sold yet! You?
Original post by leela88
* *Hi Helen, have you had any luck with private renting? I'm still undecided on whether to rent privately or go into uni accomodation.

hey, I opted for the uni halls. I have put bowdens court as my first preference as it is mixed undergrad and postgrads 😃
I want to get involved in freshers week too 👍**
Reply 10
Original post by paytonbyrne
hey, I opted for the uni halls. I have put bowdens court as my first preference as it is mixed undergrad and postgrads 😃
I want to get involved in freshers week too 👍**

I have an application for halls but i have been looking for private rents. They haven't offered me any halls yet so I'll wait and see. I think halls make it easier to make friends and get to know lots of other students. But it is expensive. But easier in so many ways.

I think I'll be doing Linguistics and Business or maybe politics - I'm not completely sold yet! You?

German from beginners, psychology and maybe linguistics but maybe literature.

I know theres a mature student event on freshers week, maybe we can meet up and go to activities?
Original post by leela88
I have an application for halls but i have been looking for private rents. They haven't offered me any halls yet so I'll wait and see. I think halls make it easier to make friends and get to know lots of other students. But it is expensive. But easier in so many ways.

German from beginners, psychology and maybe linguistics but maybe literature.

I know theres a mature student event on freshers week, maybe we can meet up and go to activities?

Ah, see I'm considering German! I'm definitely sold on Business but aside from that I have no clue!

Yeah definitely man, can also go to the combined events together cause I think they do a lot of combined honours events during freshers. 😁
Original post by leela88

Hi Lea,

I saw you've been considering private accommodations.

I thought i'd suggest our accommodations, if you want to take a look?
http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-student-accommodation/newcastle
If you are worried about making friends in private accommodation our on site teams will arrange regular events to entertain and amuse, whilst you settle in and make new friends.

I wish you luck in your search.

Callum.
Reply 13
Ah, see I'm considering German! I'm definitely sold on Business but aside from that I have no clue!

Yeah definitely man, can also go to the combined events together cause I think they do a lot of combined honours events during freshers. 😁

Yeah I'd love to go to the combined events. :smile: We should do that. I think German is a good subject to take alongside business, as the country has a very strong economy and we do a lot of trade with Germany. So it may give you an edge in the business world. Having said that, the other subjects you are thinking of go well as well.
Im a 22 year old male who will be attending Newcastle this year (Sept 2016) and have confirmed my place with the University Accommodation.

After all age is just a number...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by James.twhite
Im a 22 year old male who will be attending Newcastle this year (Sept 2016) and have confirmed my place with the University Accommodation.

After all age is just a number...

I'm in the same boat buddy ✌🏻️
I'm 24 yr old male doing computer science , I've chosen uni accommodation and will be in park terrace this year
Original post by Kirby CsNCL
I'm 24 yr old male doing computer science , I've chosen uni accommodation and will be in park terrace this year

Awesome mate im in Park Terrace too do you know what flat your in?
Original post by James.twhite
Awesome mate im in Park Terrace too do you know what flat your in?

Flat 8 room H bud :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending