The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3140
Original post by tanyapotter
if i find out on results day that because of a cashing issue my grades have not been maximised, can i have them recashed then and there? or is my result permanent?

would it be worth emailing my school and asking them now, or will it make no difference?

Original post by SeanFM
I would describe your school as 'incompetent' if they have not re-cashed your units, or whatever the term is (i.e the units can be moved around as per the algorithm or whatever it is that maximises both grades) so if your school offers Further Maths as a taught subject then you probably have nothing to worry about.

Last I heard the exam board does this automatically doesn't it? So it's nothing to do with the school and the board just maximises maths, F.maths then maths grade in the order. Assuming the combinations are legal.
What time does everyone get their results? My college are refusing to release them until 9.30, but all other institutions in my area allow you to collect from 8. Is everyone else collecting them at 8, or are yours later too?

Just another stress my A2 group don't need :cry:
Original post by somevirtualguy
Even though I messed up an easy 5 marker on that paper I feel blessed to have done it instead of last year's 😂

Thought I'd interrupt and predict boundaries too for A*:

C3 - 67
C4 - 69
FP2 - 67
FP3 - 70 (hopefully lol)
M2 - 67
M3 - 69/70/71

Edit: tbh I have no idea for M2, M3 or FP2 but there's my guestimates

While everyone is at it, here are mine (for A*), tbh it's literally the luck of the draw when it comes down to +/-1 mark with GBs,

FP2 66
FP3 70
M2 67
M3 70
S2 68
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey got my results last year but whys it changed to 18th? I assumed it would be tomorrow..

Thank you!

and @Aph, AFAIK the algorithm does not apply to units that are locked in, and it's the responsibility of centres to recash both AS maths and further maths if they're taken to A2. i just hope my school has done just that - maths/fmaths are the only subjects that would ever require recashing in, right? surely they wouldn't forget?
Original post by Aph
Last I heard the exam board does this automatically doesn't it? So it's nothing to do with the school and the board just maximises maths, F.maths then maths grade in the order. Assuming the combinations are legal.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjww8ibtrfOAhUJPxQKHdelB0UQFggoMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jcq.org.uk%2FDownload%2Fexams-office%2Fentries%2Fgce-maths-information%2Fgce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres&usg=AFQjCNFmLeVIKyexeLBk1fYJN9b9dnDYrQ&cad=rja

I am not sure - the information I have seen may be out of date.

Candidates who have completed the units for AS Mathematics and AS Further Mathematics in Year 12 may certificate both at the end of that year. However, if continuing to A level in the following year they should re-enter the AS qualifications in order to unlock the units and allow the best possible A level grades to be awarded.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Did anyone do AQA English Lang Lit and study the Crucible?

I would absolutely love an A but I think I got a B :/ Which I'm really nervous over.

Ella 3 lang lit ?
Original post by Aph
They aren't I clearing? Why Would they do that :s-smilie:

Thats what I'm asking, because they aren't in clearing. Should I expect them to be harsh or lenient ?
Original post by Scitty
What time does everyone get their results? My college are refusing to release them until 9.30, but all other institutions in my area allow you to collect from 8. Is everyone else collecting them at 8, or are yours later too?

My school haven't even told us! But we're assuming 9am as that was A2 last year and AS is at 10

i just hope it wasn't my personal responsibility to recash my applied units because i have not done that :tongue: but if it were, i'm sure my teacher would have told me..
Reply 3150

Well just going on what I've been told the stuff can been moved, I highly doubt that exam boards expect students to do 12 maths exams in a year. Either way it definitely isn't to do with the school to decide where to put the modules.
Original post by Altun63
Thats what I'm asking, because they aren't in clearing. Should I expect them to be harsh or lenient ?

Well based on whet they have said if you get ABB you'll be fine but harsh under that.
Original post by Aph
Well just going on what I've been told the stuff can been moved, I highly doubt that exam boards expect students to do 12 maths exams in a year. Either way it definitely isn't to do with the school to decide where to put the modules.

Well based on whet they have said if you get ABB you'll be fine but harsh under that.

Certainly not up to the school - I hope that I'm not implying that anywhere :colondollar: they are however responsible for whether it gets done or not by 'unlocking' those units.

i just hope it wasn't my personal responsibility to recash my applied units because i have not done that :tongue: but if it were, i'm sure my teacher would have told me..

That's why I say if you're self teaching it in a school that has never offered Further Maths, then they may not have had the experience to do it correctly. This unfortunately happened to a friend of mine but you really don't need to hear bad news / scary stories before results day.
Original post by Aph

I've got 2/3 grades anyway, just need a B from either two subjects.

But still better to worry about it than be too confident and feel shocked I guess 🙄
Original post by target21859
69-70. 66 for M2? It wasn't that hard.

It was harder than a normal paper and m2 bounderies have been known to be low
Original post by Altun63
My Uni isn't going into clearing so they lowered their asking grades of AAA to ABB.

Does that mean they will be harsh and only accept those that have met or exceeded or because there is no clearing they may be lenient?

My uni isn't in clearing for my course either. Does this mean they might be lenient on offers? :frown: x
Reply 3155
Original post by SeanFM
Certainly not up to the school - I hope that I'm not implying that anywhere :colondollar: they are however responsible for whether it gets done or not by 'unlocking' those units.

That's why I say if you're self teaching it in a school that has never offered Further Maths, then they may not have had the experience to do it correctly. This unfortunately happened to a friend of mine but you really don't need to hear bad news / scary stories before results day.

I wasn't sure if that's what you were implying in the first post I quoted (main reason I jumped in) but yeah I understand that. I wonder how 'unlocking' works...
General question and I realise it depends every year blah blah - what are the chances of RG unis lowering their entry requirements during clearing? It has to happen right?

King's History course is in Clearing but at AAA... I doubt many History students in Clearing have those grades? Especially since AAA is what the highest offers for that course tend to be?
Original post by Abii21
My uni isn't in clearing for my course either. Does this mean they might be lenient on offers? :frown: x

Hopefully, fingers crossed 🙏🏻

Im hopping they will be kind with at least a grade off as the course won't be available in clearing but I guess it depends on how many space they have
Original post by Scitty

Ours are posted online at 6 :u:
if my AS maths and further maths modules were cashed in last year, does that mean that they cannot be rearranged and are locked in as part of A2 maths and further maths respectively - even if a certain combination would give me better grades overall?

for example, these were my modules last year:
AS maths:
C1 - 87 (lol)
C2 - 95
M1 - 99

AS further maths:
FP1 - 79 (lololol)
D1 - 98
S1 - 95

does this mean that C3, C4 and M2 MUST go to my A2 maths grade, or can D1 and D2 slide over to maths?

LOL MATE, 98 in D1!! respect...
your modules are kind of "locked in" but if a better combination gives you a better grade, they will be re-cashed in, so no worries :smile:
if they don't re-cash them and make a mistake and you realise this (ie you'd get a better grade with other possible combinations), they will correct it if you point this out

Quick Reply

Latest