The Student Room Group

Would I be able to get into Oxbridge (at a guess) ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Come on, 4 applicants is nothing. You should see the medicine competition.

Believe me chemistry applicants are not less worthy than med applicants. The thing is that chemistry's lower quartile is stronger than medicine's when comparing grades. An average chemistry applicant has 3 A*....
I am not talking about GCSEs.
Original post by BioOx
Believe me chemistry applicants are not less worthy than med applicants. The thing is that chemistry's lower quartile is stronger than medicine's when comparing grades. An average chemistry applicant has 3 A*....
I am not talking about GCSEs.

There was no mention of Chemisry applicants being "less worthy", only the course being fairly uncompetitive due to high A Level entry requirements. I'm also assuming the 3A* average is for Oxford, and not in general.
Reply 22
There was no mention of Chemisry applicants being "less worthy", only the course being fairly uncompetitive due to high A Level entry requirements. I'm also assuming the 3A* average is for Oxford, and not in general.

I meant that.
OMG How eloquent am I? When we could express everything by using numbers and formulas
Reply 23

Are you applying to Oxford this year?
If so.. which course..
Original post by BioOx
Are you applying to Oxford this year?
If so.. which course..

I plan on doing medicine. I initially considered Oxford for it, but then my number of A* (9) was slightly below the average successful candidate,(10.3)so I just chose other medical schools instead. Now, I'll probably choose Oxford Biochemistry as my fifth choice.
Reply 25
I plan on doing medicine. I initially considered Oxford for it, but then my number of A* (9) was slightly below the average successful candidate,(10.3)so I just chose other medical schools instead. Now, I'll probably choose Oxford Biochemistry as my fifth choice.

if you have >0.79p A* , you could still get in. The medium quartile is 0.94p A*. Consequently I came to the conclusion that GCSEs are not necessarily the prequisite...weather you are going to get in or not ...Let's say that you nail your UKCAT (800) and BMAT (7)...you should get in. But how are you gonna apply for biochemistry when your personal statement is for medicine?
Original post by BioOx
if you have >0.79p A* , you could still get in. The medium quartile is 0.94p A*. Consequently I came to the conclusion that GCSEs are not necessarily the prequisite...weather you are going to get in or not ...Let's say that you nail your UKCAT (800) and BMAT (7)...you should get in. But how are you gonna apply for biochemistry when your personal statement is for medicine?

Well, it's more of a **** it option, rather than a genuine try to get into biochemistry. There's nothing really else to do with the fifth option. My teacher said if they're interested, they'd usually ask a candidate to write a new personal statement focused on Biochem.

I had 82% A*. Oxford don't use UKCAT at all and it's virtually impossible to score 7s in the BMAT. You'd have to be pretty gifted. I score in the low 6s. Think I'm in good stead though for UCL and Imperial. Are you applying for biology?
Reply 27
Well, it's more of a **** it option, rather than a genuine try to get into biochemistry. There's nothing really else to do with the fifth option. My teacher said if they're interested, they'd usually ask a candidate to write a new personal statement focused on Biochem.

I had 82% A*. Oxford don't use UKCAT at all and it's virtually impossible to score 7s in the BMAT. You'd have to be pretty gifted. I score in the low 6s. Think I'm in good stead though for UCL and Imperial. Are you applying for biology?

Yes!
Biology is my love :biggrin:

What made you choose biochemistry instead of biomedicine?!
Original post by BioOx
Yes!
Biology is my love :biggrin:

What made you choose biochemistry instead of biomedicine?!

I just prefer chemistry to biology. Plus, biochemistry has a decent amount of organic chemistry in it, which is also interesting.

I also feel that biomedicine students have a "Medicine reject" stigma attached to them.
Reply 29

I also feel that biomedicine students have a "Medicine reject" stigma attached to them.

This made me laugh so much. :biggrin:
Reply 30

Chemistry admissions is almost certainly less competitive than medicine (although there is more to course competitiveness than applicant numbers, of course) but it's inaccurate to say that chemistry admissions are (fairly) uncompetitive; less competitive, sure, but not uncompetitive. But I guess I'm splitting hairs here. To split a few more hairs, it's admissions that's relatively uncompetitive for chemistry the course is a whole other matter! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending