The Student Room Group

Is transgendered toilets our future?

Scroll to see replies

Nobody wants to have men in a womens bathroom, and vice versa. This is purely about public toilets by the way.

There are two solutions to this non-problem:
1) Combine all toillets into a single setup.
2) Build a 3rd toillet for transgender people and anyone with gender dysphoria.

What people do in their homes however is non of our business.
(edited 7 years ago)
We have unisex toilets at school and no one cares now. When the new building was first opened, it was a bit weird but people have just got used to it. There are cubicles with floor to pretty much ceiling walls and doors, so people can have some privacy. It shouldn't matter what toilet people use, as long as they don't feel unconfortable
Reply 22
Well it wouldbe awkward seeing a female squatting over the urinal but i dont imagine that would be a common problem. Equally a dude in the ladies wouldn't be seen it would probably just be unnerving thinking of the possibility.
Male and female toilets exist for a reason -
a) blokes get their bits out in the middle of the room for efficiency. I don't need to see your bits. Neither do my (albeit hypothetical) children. If we can't free the nipple then y'all cant free your man snakes ;D
b) women need to go into a stall because we don't have a convenient hose pipe attachment to do things standing up. It takes us a while. 1/4 of us might need to take a little longer to sort out a pad/tampon. So we have longer queues. Incidentally, pads make quite loud rustling noises and it's understandable that a lot of women wouldn't want a bloke hearing that, as well as just your generally waste noises.
c) no offence but dayyyyuuummm male public toilets generally got some kinda honking stench situation going on.

And I don't see half of the hubbub being transphobic, I think a lot of it is creepy old man-phobic.

Overall I wouldn't care personally for a gender neutral toilet but I'm very happy with my female only toilets and I'd find it uncomfortable to go with a bloke. So no... I hope they're not the future!
Original post by 1010marina
Male and female toilets exist for a reason -
a) blokes get their bits out in the middle of the room for efficiency. I don't need to see your bits. Neither do my (albeit hypothetical) children. If we can't free the nipple then y'all cant free your man snakes ;D
b) women need to go into a stall because we don't have a convenient hose pipe attachment to do things standing up. It takes us a while. 1/4 of us might need to take a little longer to sort out a pad/tampon. So we have longer queues. Incidentally, pads make quite loud rustling noises and it's understandable that a lot of women wouldn't want a bloke hearing that, as well as just your generally waste noises.
c) no offence but dayyyyuuummm male public toilets generally got some kinda honking stench situation going on.

And I don't see half of the hubbub being transphobic, I think a lot of it is creepy old man-phobic.

Overall I wouldn't care personally for a gender neutral toilet but I'm very happy with my female only toilets and I'd find it uncomfortable to go with a bloke. So no... I hope they're not the future!

Re your point a)

What would you suggest a father with young children who need accompanying to use the toilets should do? I'm guessing your hypothetical children will go out with their dad - if they need the toilet (or he needs the toilet) then they're going to be walking through the gents and past the urinals.
Reply 25
Replying to these kind of threads on TSR is like walking on thin ice.

I don't want to get any posting suggestions.
@All the comments about guys toilets
Okay so they may be a mess, people may whip out their snake in the middle of the room but they don't stink that bad. IMO female toilets stink worse...
Original post by BRONZEMEDAL1
Is this not a moral crisis we see ahead of ourselves?

Does anybody on student room have any reservations, would you go out to protest at parliament if this became our reality?

No

Only fools would want it introduced because only 3% of the population it would apply to. They can use either Male or Female

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I think gender-neutral toilets are more likely. Ideally, I'd like to see most places have a male toilet, a female toilet, and a gender neutral toilet
Well I hope not but it appears that this increasingly seems to be the case.
I think that if you did not have separate women and men's tollets then there would be people avoiding toilets outside the home, which could have medical issues for some. Those who have continence or bowel problems might go out less.
Original post by PQ
Re your point a)

What would you suggest a father with young children who need accompanying to use the toilets should do? I'm guessing your hypothetical children will go out with their dad - if they need the toilet (or he needs the toilet) then they're going to be walking through the gents and past the urinals.

Point.

He takes the kids into the bathroom and smashes the face of anybody that looks at them funny ^^ or uses the mother and baby ones, depending on the age of the kids.

I think it'd be preferable if urinals were behind a separate or perhaps frosted glass wall anyway but, having never used a gents toilet, not sure what the standard layout is.
what a surprise confused OP and the same slur -word using transphobes posting their confused and confusing ignorance ...

gender Neutral toilets are somewhat of a none issue for anyone who is actually mature , as to what a transgender toilet is i'm really not sure ?
Original post by Galaxie501
Nobody wants to have men in a womens bathroom, and vice versa. This is purely about public toilets by the way.

There are two solutions to this non-problem:
1) Combine all toillets into a single setup.
2) Build a 3rd toillet for transgender people and anyone with gender dysphoria.

What people do in their homes however is non of our business.

They would have to incorporate that into some statute because that would be very expensive, it was a palaver with disabled toilets being incorporated everywhere and ramps for access, I'm not dissing disabilities, I'm saying it's a massive effort.
Original post by zippyRN
what a surprise confused OP and the same slur -word using transphobes posting their confused and confusing ignorance ...

gender Neutral toilets are somewhat of a none issue for anyone who is actually mature , as to what a transgender toilet is i'm really not sure ?

You clearly don't know the dark corners of the male mind who exist in your midst, read the News, my friend.
Who would actually get upset by this?

I would rather have an extra toilet for them than have prayer rooms or safe spaces or some other nonsense.
Original post by Trapz99
Well I hope not but it appears that this increasingly seems to be the case.

Imagine mixed showers, mixed changing rooms, it would be social disorder. I'm just fearing for my imaginary kids.
A club near me used to have unisex toilets, they eventually made gender-specific toilets because everyone kept going in them to shag. Different environment obviously, but food for thought.
Reply 38
Original post by BRONZEMEDAL1
Is this not a moral crisis we see ahead of ourselves?

Does anybody on student room have any reservations, would you go out to protest at parliament if this became our reality?

Personally I have no problem with this at all. All women welcome in any loos I might visit, no matter what your gender was at birth! I'm more busy sitting on the loo than noticing if someone is transgender.

I also like the idea of unisex toilets, as some people don't identify as just one or the other and don't like making a huge personal decision just because they need to pee.

However, although I think there should be more unisex toilets, I think these should be alongside gendered toilets, as some people (myself included) prefer to have some privacy from the other sex in toilets.
Original post by WoodyMKC
A club near me used to have unisex toilets, they eventually made gender-specific toilets because everyone kept going in them to shag. Different environment obviously, but food for thought.

The social sciences need to carry out some thorough research about what you claim. I don't believe we truly understand human nature.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending