The Student Room Group

Elected NUS Deligate Calls Jewish man 'Subhuman Rat'

GG WP.

As if this ****ing disgusting pricks couldn't get any more moronic.

Why is the NUS even a thing any more?

Enjoy.

http://thetab.com/uk/2016/08/09/nus-delegate-posts-extreme-anti-semitic-comments-facebook-13489?utm_source=studentxpost&utm_medium=national&utm_campaign=xpost

Scroll to see replies

Original post by THE EPIC Panda
GG WP.

Enjoy.

http://thetab.com/uk/2016/08/09/nus-delegate-posts-extreme-anti-semitic-comments-facebook-13489?utm_source=studentxpost&utm_medium=national&utm_campaign=xpost

"Weeks after having been elected he ditched the post within the NUS and never took it up."

Sounds as though this reflects more on him as an individual, than on the NUS. :confused:

"A spokesperson for the NUS said: “These are utterly contemptible comments, which have absolutely no place in either the student movement or wider society. We are not aware of this individual ever having held elected office within, or being a representative of, NUS. These comments stand in complete contrast to the tolerance and inclusivity we value as an organisation and of the society we want to see.”"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
"Weeks after having been elected he ditched the post within the NUS and never took it up."

Sounds as though this reflects more on him as an individual, than on the NUS. :confused:

It's not thought. This is the problem with the NUS. They have a streak of Anti-Semitism running through them. A man with these views was let into the NUS, this shouldn't be the case.

This isn't just a once off though.
There was 2016 conference, where Holocaust memorial day was nearly not observed because it wasn't "inclusive" enough. The NEC meeting last month where Jewish student lost the right for to vote in their representative to the Anti-racism Anti-Fascism taskforce. It seams to me and many other like the NUS has something against Jewish students. It makes me sick.
We need more censorship of social media to make sure people don't read things they find offensive.
Reply 4
Original post by MagicNMedicine
We need more censorship of social media to make sure people don't read things they find offensive.
Social media output is like that of a gun. It's fine until an idiot is responsible for it
Original post by viffer
Social media output is like that of a gun. It's fine until an idiot is responsible for it

Then we should censor idiots rather than social media or guns, but that involves government having more powers over things they can observe over people to identify problem people and deal with them.
Original post by AngryJellyfish

"A spokesperson for the NUS said: “These are utterly contemptible comments, which have absolutely no place in either the student movement or wider society. We are not aware of this individual ever having held elected office within, or being a representative of, NUS. These comments stand in complete contrast to the tolerance and inclusivity we value as an organisation and of the society we want to see.”"

To be fair, this is the same organisation who voted for an anti-Semite and who - iirc - voted against Holocaust Memorial Day*
Original post by KimKallstrom
To be fair, this is the same organisation who voted for an anti-Semite and who - iirc - voted against Holocaust Memorial Day*

The motion did pass for observing Holocaust memorial day. But there was a lot of support for not passing it. Members even spoke out against it.
Students should protest that, not white privilege.
GG WP.

Enjoy.

It doesnt matter what they say abouts us, as long as we have our shekels
Original post by TercioOfParma
Students should protest that, not white privilege.

They are not going to. Too busy protesting about "why my curriculum is so white"
They are not going to. Too busy protesting about "why my curriculum is so white"

I wonder If when I get to uni I would actually get anywhere If I tried to organise protest against that sort of thing.
I wonder If when I get to uni I would actually get anywhere If I tried to organise protest against that sort of thing.

I'll tell you how my campaign goes for disaffiliation. Then judge it off that.
I'll tell you how my campaign goes for disaffiliation. Then judge it off that.

Haven't a few unis already done that?
It's not thought. This is the problem with the NUS. They have a streak of Anti-Semitism running through them. A man with these views was let into the NUS, this shouldn't be the case.

This isn't just a once off though.
There was 2016 conference, where Holocaust memorial day was nearly not observed because it wasn't "inclusive" enough. The NEC meeting last month where Jewish student lost the right for to vote in their representative to the Anti-racism Anti-Fascism taskforce. It seams to me and many other like the NUS has something against Jewish students. It makes me sick.

What do you expect when they elected Malia Bouattia as their president?

On a separate note, does anyone know whether individuals can renounce their affiliation with the NUS? I know that it's usually student unions that do so, but I really do not want to be associated with an organisation that increasingly forgets the needs of its members and instead seems content on demonising the Jewish community.
Haven't a few unis already done that?

Yeh. More stayed then left though. The tactics the NUS and supporters used were underhanded. Harassing foreign students to vote. Pushing laptops into peoples faces to vote. Using the NUS extra card mailing list to text people to remain.
Original post by toronto353
What do you expect when they elected Malia Bouattia as their president?

On a separate note, does anyone know whether individuals can renounce their affiliation with the NUS? I know that it's usually student unions that do so, but I really do not want to be associated with an organisation that increasingly forgets the needs of its members and instead seems content on demonising the Jewish community.

Unfortunately you can't. Unless you get your students union to disaffiliate, you are a member of the NUS. Best thing you can do is to not buy into the stupid NUS extra card.
Yeh. More stayed then left though. The tactics the NUS and supporters used were underhanded. Harassing foreign students to vote. Pushing laptops into peoples faces to vote. Using the NUS extra card mailing list to text people to remain.

Well, nothing to stop you pushing harder next time, the facts are on our side. Most people at university aren't SJWs.
Unfortunately you can't. Unless you get your students union to disaffiliate, you are a member of the NUS. Best thing you can do is to not buy into the stupid NUS extra card.

Oh I don't. I might actually email the NUS about this and see where I get. Our university did have a referendum, but held it at such a silly time of year (during the holidays IIRC) that few people voted (as a percentage) and so we remain affiliated.
Well, nothing to stop you pushing harder next time, the facts are on our side. Most people at university aren't SJWs.

The point is they weren't allowed to do it. It was against the rules of the of the referendum. They weren't punished for it either. But nothing I could do about it as it wasn't my university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending