The Student Room Group

Mathematics in a Chemical Engineering degree

I wondered, what % of a Chemical Engineering MEng involves the use of maths?

I ask this as maths is what i'm most into/looking forward to in engineering, and i've not saw this question answered anywhere. I am aware that you do the standard calculus classes in first year but besides that, i'm unaware of how much more maths you actually use.

Thanks!

Edit: I have looked at the syllabus for the course. but it isn't very clear on what modules contain maths and which do not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Productivity
I wondered, what % of a Chemical Engineering MEng involves the use of maths?

I ask this as maths is what i'm most into/looking forward to in engineering, and i've not saw this question answered anywhere. I am aware that you do the standard calculus classes in first year but besides that, i'm unaware of how much more maths you actually use.

Thanks!

A lot of maths! Most of it is physics which is basically applied mathematics. There's little chemistry involved.
Original post by vela1
A lot of maths! Most of it is physics which is basically applied mathematics. There's little chemistry involved.

Are there any parts/modules which contain no maths at all?

Thanks for the reply by the way:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Productivity
Are there any parts/modules which contain no maths at all?

Thanks for the reply by the way:smile:

Yeah there are some. For example you'll have to do experiments throughout your years where you'll write up reports on them. Most of it is explaining what your results mean, drawing conclusions. You may have some material modules (chemistry based) but that depends on your uni.
Reply 4
Boyfriend has graduated and says
90% applied physics (maths through mechanics, thermodynamics)
8% theoretical physics
2% Chem
Good luck with reaction engineering! They say it's a killer
Original post by vela1
Yeah there are some. For example you'll have to do experiments throughout your years where you'll write up reports on them. Most of it is explaining what your results mean, drawing conclusions. You may have some material modules (chemistry based) but that depends on your uni.

That sounds good, I like doing lab reports and such.
Thank you very much!

Original post by 97Y
Boyfriend has graduated and says
90% applied physics (maths through mechanics, thermodynamics)
8% theoretical physics
2% Chem
Good luck with reaction engineering! They say it's a killer

I'm glad there is a very large physics+maths aspect, thank you for the insight!:smile:
How fast paced are the engineering mathematics classes? (For a guy who hasn't done A level maths)

I'm doing pre-calculus & algebra lectures on YouTube so I have a good background before I begin, also working through the foundation topics of Strouds Eng. Maths. and should have them all finished before I start university. Thermos/Fluid mechanics are not a problem as I've done them before; and can quickly grasp applied maths (As you can see where the maths is going). I know first year is supposed to be a doddle but it's going to be an uphill battle from the start for somebody like me who hasn't came through the traditional route.

Quick Reply

Latest