The Student Room Group

Robert Gordon University or Abertay University for Biomedical Science?

Hey!

I know that's not the right forum, but I wasn't able to get an answer in the Scotland forum.
So I have an offer for Biomedical Science at Abertay University, however I saw that Robert Gordon University offers Biomedical Science in Clearing.
Which university is better in terms of reputation and student experience?
Also, I may apply for Year 2 at the University of Dundee and I want to study grad medicine after finishing the undergraduate degree.

Thank you :smile:.
Pick the more interesting course. Reputation doesn't matter. Visit if you can to get a feel for the city and uni. The website should give you info about what studying there is like.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Pick the more interesting course. Reputation doesn't matter. Visit if you can to get a feel for the city and uni. The website should give you info about what studying there is like.

Thank you :smile:.Won't med schools look for reputation?
No. People come from a range of backgrounds with a range of experiences. Medical schools are looking to see if you've got the work experience, know what it takes to be a good doctor and can demonstrate that you've developed those skills and can work to uni standards (I.e have a good grade).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
No. People come from a range of backgrounds with a range of experiences. Medical schools are looking to see if you've got the work experience, know what it takes to be a good doctor and can demonstrate that you've developed those skills and can work to uni standards (I.e have a good grade).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thank you :smile:. Do you also know something about the cities?
I've already answered your question above. Use google to do your own research.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I've already answered your question above. Use google to do your own research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I already did. I'm not waiting for someone to answer my question, but it'd be nice to see opinions from people who experienced both cities.
Reply 7
I went to RGU but not for Biomed. I'm sure the Biomedial Science course at RGU offers an applies route for roughly half the class? and that is quite competitive. However, lots of people seem to have been offered quite impressive jobs upon leaving so the course must be doing something right! Teaching would be at the Garthdee campus which is a wee journey out of town but I've always really enjoyed Aberdeen though it's a small city. ARI is a big hospital too which I think provides placements and work opportunities.
Reply 8
Original post by amiewills
I went to RGU but not for Biomed. I'm sure the Biomedial Science course at RGU offers an applies route for roughly half the class? and that is quite competitive. However, lots of people seem to have been offered quite impressive jobs upon leaving so the course must be doing something right! Teaching would be at the Garthdee campus which is a wee journey out of town but I've always really enjoyed Aberdeen though it's a small city. ARI is a big hospital too which I think provides placements and work opportunities.

Thank you :smile:. Already chose Abertay though, will be happier there I think.
Original post by sami2k16
Thank you :smile:. Already chose Abertay though, will be happier there I think.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Are you liking Abertay?
Reply 10
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
I'm kind of in the same boat. Are you liking Abertay?

Yeah defo! I don't think you'll regret choosing Abertay.
Thanks, I was planning Dundee but it's not accredited by IBMS. What is the course like their? They don't have a course outline on the prospectus.
Reply 12
Thanks, I was planning Dundee but it's not accredited by IBMS. What is the course like their? They don't have a course outline on the prospectus.

They have one on their website, just check out the Abertay biomedical science website. Plus, you'll get to choose one elective each for the second semester in the first and second year which isn't usually connected to the course you do. Also, the course is actually accredited!
Thanks. Do you get to do a year abroad?
Reply 14
Thanks. Do you get to do a year abroad?

Yeah you can, either in second or third year.
Yeah you can, either in second or third year.

Do you get a broad choice?
Reply 16
Do you get a broad choice?

Check out the partner unis on their website, there's one in the US and one in Germany. Even though you might be able to apply to any other partner uni they have depending on approval.
Check out the partner unis on their website, there's one in the US and one in Germany. Even though you might be able to apply to any other partner uni they have depending on approval.

Okay thanks so much struggling to figure out if its the right degree for me and where to go
Reply 18
Okay thanks so much struggling to figure out if its the right degree for me and where to go

You're welcome!
Hi there, Just got Abertay to go now but thinking it's my first choice!
I was wondering if you could tell me why Abertay is so good for this course ans why you recommend it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending