The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
Original post by michrab123
You can't apply to a grad course unless you are a graduate i.e. have a degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by 123ash
Can't apply to GEM, unless you are a graduate. Having said that you have an excellent UKCAT score for undergrad entry, Well done!

Original post by ah639
I think the poster means he/she is currently an undergraduate. i.e. going into final year of university. In which case they can apply this coming cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, sorry I didn't make it quite clear enough haha - I'm a current second year university student :smile: Just trying to figure out if I stand a chance for grad entry?
Original post by immaa
Yeah, sorry I didn't make it quite clear enough haha - I'm a current second year university student :smile: Just trying to figure out if I stand a chance for grad entry?

Yes, You have a good UKCAT score for GEM. Just try and achieve a high 2.1, 1st in your degree to help your application. But choose your Uni wisely, as it is very competitive! UKCAT score higher the better for GEM.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1062
Original post by 123ash
Yes, You have a good UKCAT score for GEM. Just try and achieve a high 2.1, 1st in your degree to help your application. But choose your Uni wisely, as it is very competitive! UKCAT score higher the better for GEM.

I'm predicted a first at the moment :smile: which unis would you recommend being more cautious of for grad entry?

Are there any grad entry schools which are a little more lenient on the UKCAT?
Original post by immaa
I'm predicted a first at the moment :smile: which unis would you recommend being more cautious of for grad entry?

Barts and Warwick tend to have the lowest cutoff.
Original post by immaa

Original post by Quilverine
Barts and Warwick tend to have the lowest cutoff.

Ditto, Barts is a great shout if you can get yourself a first predicted. Kings is notorious for being grim af on their UKCAT cutoff. Newcastle and Southampton sit somewhere in the middle. Cambridge doesn't require an admissions test.
Original post by Clunkles
Ditto, Barts is a great shout if you can get yourself a first predicted. Kings is notorious for being grim af on their UKCAT cutoff. Newcastle and Southampton sit somewhere in the middle. Cambridge doesn't require an admissions test.

Is it true that Cambridge GEM still looks at GCSE and A-Levels.

This is very true. However Cambridge does wants an A grade in Chemistry at A-level. Whilst this is not necessary they do find it highly desirable.
Apparently, St Georges are now offering places on the 5 year medicine course through clearing in the 16/17 cycle for the first time ever.

Yes. Seriously. DoH's master plan of NHS destruction is evidently moving swiftly along.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any sources concerning Barts' usage of the degree classification? Don't both courses at Barts selects applicants based on UKCAT so as long as they have 2:1?
Original post by Lightingspeed
Do you have any sources concerning Barts' usage of the degree classification? Don't both courses at Barts selects applicants based on UKCAT so as long as they have 2:1?

If you check through the Barts threads from last cycle you'll find that almost all graduate applicants (for either course) with a predicted/achieved 2.i were rejected pre-interview, regardless of UKCAT score.

This was a big surprise since on their website Barts claimed to place 50:50 split on degree and UKCAT when selecting interviewees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
Apparently, St Georges are now offering places on the 5 year medicine course through clearing in the 16/17 cycle for the first time ever.

Yes. Seriously. DoH's master plan of NHS destruction is evidently moving swiftly along.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What? :O

I must see this
Original post by ah639
If you check through the Barts threads from last cycle you'll find that almost all graduate applicants (for either course) with a predicted/achieved 2.i were rejected pre-interview, regardless of UKCAT score.

This was a big surprise since on their website Barts claimed to place 50:50 split on degree and UKCAT when selecting interviewees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know that wasn't due to other reasons such as other grades or work experience or personal statement? Also TSR isn't representative of anyone that applies, so I don't think it's true that people with a 2.1 didn't get in because some applicants got 1sts

None of us know how the admissions really work so there isn't much point speculating based on what it seems on TSR... we won't know until we apply and see what happens!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ah639

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah i see, thanks :smile:. Do you know what kind of UCKAT a grad could have (so as long he/she has a 1st) to be in a chance of an interview? 680 (5yr) and 700 (4yr)?
How do you know that wasn't due to other reasons such as other grades or work experience or personal statement? Also TSR isn't representative of anyone that applies, so I don't think it's true that people with a 2.1 didn't get in because some applicants got 1sts

None of us know how the admissions really work so there isn't much point speculating based on what it seems on TSR... we won't know until we apply and see what happens!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not just some of those who got a 2.i who were rejected, it's 99.99%. I was one of them and feedback was that I didn't have a 1st.

My past grades are flawless, so I doubt that would have played a part. I'm not speculating, there is a decent amount of evidence to suggest that 2.i meant no interview for last year's Barts applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh my goodness seriously?

I just checked...what on earth? I'm actually interested to see how the number of applicants for medicine this year is affected. I predict there will be no difference to the GEPs programmes as I think generally people by this point are pretty determined to be a Dr no matter what, despite contracts, NHS being bankrupt etc..that's my theory anyway.
Original post by Lightingspeed
Ah i see, thanks :smile:. Do you know what kind of UCKAT a grad could have (so as long he/she has a 1st) to be in a chance of an interview? 680 (5yr) and 700 (4yr)?

I can't really say for definite, sorry, but those numbers seem about right. There are some applicant profiles from last cycle here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/university/queen_mary_university_of_london#medicine-2016 but quite a few are incomplete!

Failing that you can just trudge through last year's threads.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This FOI report may provide you with some answer. People with 2:1 did get interviews but there aren't that many :/. Barts and the London only introduced this 50:50 ranking system for interview selection last year.
Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated....
I have a 2.1 in Biomed and have lots of experiences in NHS and i also am employed by them currently. Also lots of volunteering...hoping to apply for Newcastle 4 Years programme. I got 717 in UKCAT. how are my chances looking guys? Anyone help me please!
Saudkhan2508 - wow - 717 in the ukcat - wanna offer a few tips for VR?
Reply 1079
Hey, thought I might as well get involved here
I'm about to start my final year studying Biochemistry, and will be applying for GEM courses for 2017 entry
I sat the GAMSAT last year and got a pretty good score (Overall score: 64)
I did my UKCAT earlier this week but didn't do too well, so I'm not sure if I should chance it with one of my options (Average: 653.3)
In terms of experience, I volunteered at a care home last summer, which turned into a paid healthcare assistant role when I returned for this summer
I also had a week shadowing a surgical team back in December, so I'm pretty happy as far as experience goes
Currently I have Nottingham and Liverpool on my list as definites, with St. George's as a potential although I'd prefer to avoid London! I was going to apply to Warwick but I don't think my UKCAT score makes me much of a competitive applicant. I need to have a rethink now I have all my test scores
Just wanted to join in with the discussion, if anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending