The Student Room Group

Anyone else wanting to move country?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
legit when I'm done with Uni
I'm off to France
bye peoples :france:

Eh, bye you won't see many English there.
Reply 21
yes, Toronto, LA or Miami
Canada, US or Australia,
Somewhere where English is still the main language I guess.
I just hope people are aware that unless you pretty much have a job lined up, it is literally a lottery on whether or not you can move to a country like the US. And it's around £2500 per application, which is non-refundable.

Europe is different though, it will be much easier, even when we are't part of the EU.
Original post by Serine Soul
This sounds cheesy but it is true, I've dreamt about living in New York ever since I was a child.
My current plan is to go and work there for a couple of years after I graduate

How about you?

That's been my dream since I was a kid too! However it's pretty much impossible to move to the US unless you work in IT and even then its like a 10 year wait for a green card
Original post by pezisland37
That's been my dream since I was a kid too! However it's pretty much impossible to move to the US unless you work in IT and even then its like a 10 year wait for a green card

That's why I'm prepared to work really hard at uni for a first and make links left, right and centre!

Maybe I'm being too idealistic :colondollar:
That's why I'm prepared to work really hard at uni for a first and make links left, right and centre!

Maybe I'm being too idealistic :colondollar:

I'm hoping to go on a year abroad to the states and meet someone so I could stay permanently lol I don't know who has the wiser plan :wink: especially since bachelor degree graduates have to wait at least 7 years to get their green card then a possible 5 years (if you want to) for citizenship. I'm hoping my idea sorta goes to plan, if not I'd seriously consider paying someone to marry me for a green card because I honestly can't see myself having a future in this country.

///http://thoughtcatalog.com/anonymous/2015/05/green-card-marriage-i-paid-a-man-to-marry-me-for-us-citizenship/
Original post by BunnyMidnight
Canada, USA(California), Barbados, New Zealand, South Korea or Japan.

Basically anywhere where Science careers are expanding and are full of opportunities, which the UK doesn't have at the moment and It's going to get worse now that we are leaving the EU; who helps with the sciences, in Europe especially the UK.

That sounds a lot like my plans! I feel Canada might not necessarily have the potential for STEM career growth (both pay and no. of workers) but has fewer political/cultural problems that seem to come hand-in-hand with the US like its obsession/fantastism with guns and religion.

The pay is good for Chemical/Material/Nuclear Engineers in the US though (starting salary approx 60,000 to 70,000 USD typical).

I'm seriously considering Shanghai and certain rich provinces of China too, they're really investing in developing the nation's scientific enterprises to outcompete the US and the Chinese government has considerably deep pockets to do mega research/industrial projects.

France/Germany invests heavily into science and shouldn't be facing a major economic crisis anytime soon, might be worth looking into before Brexit happens.
Norway is the most beautiful place on Earth, I dream of having a house there, but not to live, just to vacate every few months.
Original post by pezisland37
I'm hoping to go on a year abroad to the states and meet someone so I could stay permanently lol I don't know who has the wiser plan :wink: especially since bachelor degree graduates have to wait at least 7 years to get their green card then a possible 5 years (if you want to) for citizenship. I'm hoping my idea sorta goes to plan, if not I'd seriously consider paying someone to marry me for a green card because I honestly can't see myself having a future in this country.

///http://thoughtcatalog.com/anonymous/2015/05/green-card-marriage-i-paid-a-man-to-marry-me-for-us-citizenship/

I don't want to stay there permanently, I love the UK and would build up my family here :colondollar:

Haha that seems like a decent plan, but what if you get caught on the terms of sham marriage?
Yep. Moving to an EU member state after I've finished my degree (if the EU in its current form is still around of course).

I see myself as, and I am proud to be, a citizen of Europe, I don't belong in the UK anymore. I always wanted to move abroad but it was more of a pipedream to be honest... But the outcome of the EU referendum has convinced me to actually do it.

I'm eyeing up countries where I can speak or am learning to speak the language, or countries where I have close friends. So for me that's Germany, Austria, The Netherlands and Finland. I'd probably consider moving to somewhere like Poland or Hungary too.
I don't want to stay there permanently, I love the UK and would build up my family here :colondollar:

Haha that seems like a decent plan, but what if you get caught on the terms of sham marriage?

Hey ho, I won't know until I'll try :wink:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Germany (or/including Austria, depending on your view).

Mainly because I dislike the UK, but like Western Europe. France is full of French people, so that's off the list. Netherlands, Denmark and other Scandinavian countries aren't options because they speak a heavily bastardised version of German that seems harder to understand.

Germany: I have family there, and honestly its just like a better version of the UK. Plus its not likely to leave the EU, and they drive on the right.

Austria: its like a smaller, slightly worse version of Germany, except they have the alps.

I'd be inclined to agree , if it were not for the levels of smoking there
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WeslshStudent101
USA or Canada, looks like it'll be about six years time so hopefully neither Trump or Hillary are in power.

You never know Hillary or Trump might win re-election
I'm not British , I'm greek .
I wanted to live in the UK ( now I don't ) .
Best places to live in Europe : Iceland, Germany - Austria, France, Netherlands .
Outside Europe : USA ( massachusetts , new york , california ) , Canada , Australia .
I want to follow a science career so Iceland is out of my list :frown: .
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Liberal 123
You never know Hillary or Trump might win re-election
That's what I mean by not in power.
Canada, Japan and New Zealand.
Original post by WeslshStudent101
That's what I mean by not in power.

You going to be waiting a long time if they win re-election
Original post by Mathemagicien
For those of you in the UK, are you thinking of moving to another country after you have completed your education?

If so, which country, and why?

After Brexit 100% once I've finished uni I want to move to Canada or maybe even Austraila.We'll see closer to the time.
London, Australia or America

Quick Reply

Latest