The Student Room Group

Muslim women are the "least successful group in society" report finds

Scroll to see replies

There are definitely major issues within Muslim and other similar cultures relating to equality and freedom.
Original post by inhuman
So? Women in Iran go more to uni than men. What do they have to show for it down the line?

What do you mean so? That was in reply to someone's ignorant comment which said that 'you are only one person and there are 1 billion muslims'. Indirectly stating that there aren't many successful muslim women. I just said something about my family's women being more successful than men. That is it.
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
Ambition is a masculine trait, this is not to say I am against women working, however women who define themselves by their jobs are simply insufferable, men who do the same are slightly more acceptable, but kind of boring.

Might I ask why you adhere to the double standard? It's none of your business if someone defines themselves by their occupation or not. I personally find those who only define themselves by a religious or political ideology to be boring or one sided. Those who define themselves solely by an extremist version of an ideology are far more dangerous to the world than those who define themselves by their occupation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Al-farhan
What is success? And by what standard are they measuring this success?
Muslim women are successful in their own right and they don't need a bbc report to prove that.

It is only to do with work I believe.
Reply 84
Original post by Saba XD
What do you mean so? That was in reply to someone's ignorant comment which said that 'you are only one person and there are 1 billion muslims'. Indirectly stating that there aren't many successful muslim women. I just said something about my family's women being more successful than men. That is it.

And my point is that education is not a measure of success here, since it doesn't give you anything.
I think that men who are feminine, don't provide for their families or who are cowardly are pathetic wastes, I don't only apply cruel standards to women. I hate masculine women and feminine men.
I think that men who are feminine, don't provide for their families or who are cowardly are pathetic wastes, I don't only apply cruel standards to women. I hate masculine women and feminine men.

Why?
Reply 87
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Lets not forget Malala Yousufzai :biggrin:

One example to represent all of Muslim girls. WOW
Original post by inhuman
And my point is that education is not a measure of success here, since it doesn't give you anything.

(Any logical person would know what I was referring to but let's spell it out). By being more educated, what happens afterwards? A person goes into that career what they studied all these years for. Like I will. :biggrin:
I don't have a reason, it's a visceral feeling of disgust.
Original post by inhuman
One example to represent all of Muslim girls. WOW

Oh it's you again. Leave "babe" :h:
I think it is a cultural problem, yes. There is pressure for them not to work, in a lot of families. However, if they choose not to work by themselves, that's fine.
Reply 92
Original post by Saba XD
(Any logical person would know what I was referring to but let's spell it out). By being more educated, what happens afterwards? A person goes into that career what they studied all these years for. Like I will. :biggrin:

For someone so educated, you are incredibly daft.

Look up Iran. More women at uni. More men in good jobs and positions of power.

Go there. See what your education gives you down the line.

Good luck.
It is very wrong to judge a Muslim woman by an arbitrary Western standard, if the discussion only said they have lower rates of earnings it would be acceptable, but to write them off as unsuccessful is nonsense.
What bit I don't get is Muslims on here always say that women are highly respected etc and yet in Muslim countries, they have some of the worst records for gender equality and female treatment.
Reply 95
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Oh it's you again. Leave "babe" :h:

Oooooh. It's you!

Ahahahahahaha

Still brainwashed?
I don't have a reason, it's a visceral feeling of disgust.

Okay, are you by any chance a muslim and do you live in the West? If you do live in the west I'm curious as to how you reconcile these feelings of disgust with what is values of western culture and your citizenship here?
Reply 97
Original post by AperfectBalance
He is not wrong you know she is a part of the x% that are aspiring to be and are successful . he never said that she is the only one. as obviously more than 1 muslim is successful but compared to muslim men or non muslim women she might be part of the fewer successes comparatively.

Don't bother with that bint. Thinks her beliefs and opinions are fact and are based on logic.

Just let her live in her ignorant bubble.
Not a Muslim, my background if anything would probably surprise you. I've always naturally felt that Western liberalism for all the comforts it brings us leaves people soulless and dead inside.

EDIT: On the other side of this, the danger with traditional cultures is that it leaves women open to abuses of power by cruel men, so it's not as if I am saying Trad Con societies are perfect of that the West is totally flawed.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
The article mainly points at islamaphobia being a reason for why a lot of Muslim women are unemployed.

Islamophobia is not as common as you think as in most cases employers think the ideal Muslim woman wears a headscarf (which is a minority from where I'm from).

This article is a bit weird as i don't think it really accounts for the Muslim women that don't wear hijabs, since it's nearly impossible to identify a Muslim woman if she is not wearing a hijab.

That being said not many women in my family wear headscarves, but they all have well paid jobs. This accounts for all family friends and friends alike. My neighbour on the other hand wears a hijab(by choice) and is a GP herself.

I really think inverted South Asian culture plays a part in this nonsense on the idea of women having to stay at home and look after kids.

Pease be careful when you make statements about Muslim women and employment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending