The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
My handwriting is going to be so **** the next time I use a pen, and it was already bad enough...

A mathmos ability is inversely proportional to their handwriting neatness

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I hope we all feel very unproductive.
I know someone who has already done a IA past paper.
I know, wtf.
And yes, he is on tsr.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wot. And I thought I was productive..

Who is that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope we all feel very unproductive.
I know someone who has already done a IA past paper.
I know, wtf.
And yes, he is on tsr.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pure bangout.
Original post by DesignPredator
Pure bangout.

Ygm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Uhhh gonna guess it's either Krollo, renhzi(or however you spell it) or muon?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol Idk if @physicsmaths is on about me but I may have done one or two...
To be honest I did look at a NatSci Part IA Maths paper and it is not that bad to be honest most FP2 and FP3 related topics I could do.
Original post by EnglishMuon
lol Idk if @physicsmaths is on about me but I may have done one or two...

Which courses have you completed? I know you are pretty into Groups, but have you done Analysis/VC since past papers are V&M/Analysis and Groups/VC (for those that I presume you have worked through).

I am planning on doing some example sheets/past papers in September (after I finish V&M and Groups) so it would be nice to collaborate with you.
Original post by DesignPredator
To be honest I did look at a NatSci Part IA Maths paper and it is not that bad to be honest most FP2 and FP3 related topics I could do.

Yeah, the NatSci Maths paper is a joke for Mathmos; especially the first section.
Original post by Insight314
Which courses have you completed? I know you are pretty into Groups, but have you done Analysis/VC since past papers are V&M/Analysis and Groups/VC (for those that I presume you have worked through).

I am planning on doing some example sheets/past papers in September (after I finish V&M and Groups) so it would be nice to collaborate with you.

What.
Collaborate with englishmuon. Who tf u think you are bruv, you ain't erdos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, the NatSci Maths paper is a joke for Mathmos; especially the first section.

Alow it bruv, too much savage from a yr 11.
I can't even do edexcel MC physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You guys are on a completely different level :wink:, I'm sure your already gearing up for the infamous Part III.
What.
Collaborate with englishmuon. Who tf u think you are bruv, you ain't erdos.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol. I just thought we could feedback each other's work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/papernst_ia_1.pdf (Paper 1 from the NatSci IA Maths 2016)

Even a GCSE student can do the first section.

The longer question section is just a mix of V&M (11R is literally an example sheet question on complex numbers), and some VC (seeing divergences and partials) with DE (I think).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait what he's in year 11?!? :colonhash:

and yeah I think I've covered most of the groups stuff thats on the 'syllabus', although as always theres more to be done. Need to read some formal stuff on mobius transformations anyway. And yea Ive done some numbers and sets (not all) and some V&M. Only analysis I know is from general knowledge so probably shouldnt do papers on that yet. But yeah Itd be great to do some stuff with you sometime- there arent many people I get to talk about this with apart from the all seeing overlord (u know who u are if u read this) so it'd be useful.
and yeah I think I've covered most of the groups stuff thats on the 'syllabus', although as always theres more to be done. Need to read some formal stuff on mobius transformations anyway. And yea Ive done some numbers and sets (not all) and some V&M. Only analysis I know is from general knowledge so probably shouldnt do papers on that yet. But yeah Itd be great to do some stuff with you sometime- there arent many people I get to talk about this with apart from the all seeing overlord (u know who u are if u read this) so it'd be useful.

That would be great!

As for Möbius transformations, isn't Chapter 13 of Beardon's enough for what you are looking for?

I am planning on finishing Beardon's book by early September, and then I am gonna mix Analysis I (from Burkill's "A First Course in Mathematical Analysis" ) with some example sheets/past papers on V&M and Groups so I can make sure I keep sharp for those two courses.

I am not thinking of doing any N&S this summer because I am Maths with Physics so I won't need to take the end of year exam but it seems like Churchill's DoS likes giving the physicists a bit too much workload, and would probably need to do N&S supervisions/go to lectures in IA either way. I also despise purism, and I think my set theory knowledge is good enough (did some N&S from Allenby's "Numbers and Proofs" back in November).

What do you think of this? I was going to further my knowledge of abstract algebra (learn rings and field theory) but I think it is better if I do some analysis while practicing V&M and Groups. Or do you think I should concentrate only on doing example sheets/past papers on those two courses?

I should really learn how to use a contents page XD
But yeah I wouldn't personally move on to rings/fields until fully covered groups and can do some harder qs on them. probably doing a couple of N&S topics would be useful too (especially on primes) just cus it seems like quite a big overlap between the two. So id probably just stick with V&M and groups for now and make sure I can do a variety of questions on them, then maybe a little bit of analysis after.

who tf is this all seeing overlord introduce me
Original post by Zacken
who tf is this all seeing overlord introduce me

It is G UNIT fosure

Posted from TSR Mobile
I should really learn how to use a contents page XD
But yeah I wouldn't personally move on to rings/fields until fully covered groups and can do some harder qs on them. probably doing a couple of N&S topics would be useful too (especially on primes) just cus it seems like quite a big overlap between the two. So id probably just stick with V&M and groups for now and make sure I can do a variety of questions on them, then maybe a little bit of analysis after.

All right, thanks. I am probably gonna do a lot of questions on V&M and Groups from example sheets or past papers, and also a bit of Analysis I since I want to get through Burkill's textbook.

I am not sure about N&S though. I am not that excited for any kind of purism like most of N&S (number theory and primes) and that is against the main reason why I am self-studying some of IA this summer. I know for a fact the DoS of Churchill is gonna make me do N&S, so either way I would be able to get the N&S knowledge that may come up in V&M or Groups. If I do find a question or two on V&M/Groups that would require some of N&S (obv not sets 'cause that is everywhere) while I am practicing V&M/Groups in September, I would either come here and ask you about it or just research it and try to get what it is. If all fails, I would probably skip the question and do it after I am comfortable with N&S.
Did you watch that documentary on welsh people gaining admission to oxbridge and some homeless guy got in aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did, yes. It had some interesting stuff in it and I have since met said guy doing Welsh Soc stuff together.

Seeing how we can encourage more Welsh people to apply to Cambridge is something I want to look at during my presidency of Welsh Soc.

Latest