The Student Room Group

Muslim women are the "least successful group in society" report finds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serine Soul
It's not BS, it's true. I only have to look inside my own house, and outside, to see it.
Currently, many, many muslim women in their 30s - 40s are not working. My mother isn't working, all the wives in that same age bracket in the area I live in (100% Muslim btw) aren't working, and I don't think ever intend to.

I don't think this is an issue regarding islam (if that's what you're implying) Where I live a 100% of female british born pakistanis/bangladeshis etc do work. Most are in their 30s-40s. So what point are you trying to make?

This is definitely not representitive of all Muslim women, but it is for many women in Pakistani and Bangldeshi communites, who make up a significant percentage of Muslims in the country.

Yes it's not representative, but it's certainly not the majority. This conservative attitude will get diluted as generations pass. I know many Bangladeshis and pakistanis who don't think like this at all and were brought up the way you're describing it. My parents weren't born here and they fit under the second example in your category. My mum works, my dad works. 2/3 of my sisters work (the 3rd one is 8 years old). All of my cousins work. This isn't an issue about religion it's culture ffs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Globally Christianity and Islam are growing much faster than Atheism, equally the religious Jewish sects are growing much faster than the numbers of liberal and non-religious Jews. Atheists have a serious problem, they close themselves off in their sterile White neighbourhoods and think the rest of the world is like them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by squish562
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37041301

Honestly, I feel it's more of a cultural problem than one of discrimination- Muslim women just tend to be homemakers instead of working in paid employment. However, there might be some discrimination for certain roles like sales where hiring a women wearing a niqab might not be appropriate and where they are therefore likely to be discriminated against.

You've got the right kind of idea. Muslim women are oppressed by their religion and culture and are hence forced into roles such as being a housewife. Additionally, the wearing of the Niqab to job interviews really makes it difficult for the interviewer to accept them for the job, considering the fact that it's difficult to trust someone whose face you've never seen before. This concept is mainly why many healthcare systems in the West ban the wearing of Niqabs for doctors and nurses.

The Niqab is essentially unnecessary and isn't required whatsoever, but even women who wear a hijab instead still are oppressed. Furthermore, there's many who can't even speak English, again, because they're mainly working in the home and this itself acts as a barrier to getting access to jobs and so forth.

It's a sensitive issue, which probably won't get solved any time soon.
Original post by Saba XD
I am a Muslim woman and a future lawyer. These studies are bogus

1 girl got onto a law degree = all results of study covering uk muslims nationwide is now defunct
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
Globally Christianity and Islam are growing much faster than Atheism, equally the religious Jewish sects are growing much faster than the numbers of liberal and non-religious Jews. Atheists have a serious problem, they close themselves off in their sterile White neighbourhoods and think the rest of the world is like them.

Your analysis of statistical growth is poor and disturbing. You need to consider what Religon has become now and what it was before. Now, it's much more liberal based, with many denominations allowing for sex before marriage or even endorsing homosexuals, because of love. Prior, many called for their execution and had great spite for them. Furthermore, all the leading bishops in Britain are firm believers in evolution, while in the past, no theist gave a second thought to it. Religion now is a moderate, vague hodgepodge of delusion trying to survive and has abandoned its initial strict principles to garner as many supporters as it can.

Kim Kardashian proudly wears a cruciifx, yet she's slept with more men than you can count on your fingers (not against it, but many theists are). She's really, by the bible, not much of a Christian. "Not much of a Christian" is what you'd describe the vast majority of Christians today - and that same concept could be applied to other religions too. If anything, society has shifted towards atheism and Liberty, something that many religions clearly frown upon.

This is definitely not representitive of all Muslim women, but it is for many women in Pakistani and Bangldeshi communites, who make up a significant percentage of Muslims in the country.

Just to add, the number of Muslim women in their twenties, born, brought up, educated, with strong career plans, is high and is increasing, thankfully.

i think if you visited any gulf arab states (ie not pakistani or bangladesh) youll see even less educated women there. actually asian muslims do have an education and work ethic that exists culturally, similar to indians sri lankans and east asians - but it seems the non-islamic asian communities far outperform, just as the jewish and european christian do. i think that fact is probably reflected outside uk too ( ie see malaysia, usa , indonesia etc)
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Your analysis of statistical growth is poor and disturbing. You need to consider what Religon has become now and what it was before. Now, it's much more liberal based, with many denominations allowing for sex before marriage or even endorsing homosexuals, because of love. Prior, many called for their execution and had great spite for them. Furthermore, all the leading bishops in Britain are firm believers in evolution, while in the past, no theist gave a second thought to it. Religion now is a moderate, vague hodgepodge of delusion trying to survive and has abandoned its initial strict principles to garner as many supporters as it can.

Kim Kardashian proudly wears a cruciifx, yet she's slept with more men than you can count on your fingers (not against it, but many theists are). She's really, by the bible, not much of a Christian. "Not much of a Christian" is what you'd describe the vast majority of Christians today - and that same concept could be applied to other religions too. If anything, society has shifted towards atheism and Liberty, something that many religions clearly frown upon.

I probably know more about statistics and modelling than most people on TSR and I assure you that are totally wrong.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/04/03/why-people-with-no-religion-are-projected-to-decline-as-a-share-of-the-worlds-population/
Reply 187
Of course they are. They are women
You've got the right kind of idea. Muslim women are oppressed by their religion and culture and are hence forced into roles such as being a housewife. Additionally, the wearing of the Niqab to job interviews really makes it difficult for the interviewer to accept them for the job, considering the fact that it's difficult to trust someone whose face you've never seen before. This concept is mainly why many healthcare systems in the West ban the wearing of Niqabs for doctors and nurses.

The Niqab is essentially unnecessary and isn't required whatsoever, but even women who wear a hijab instead still are oppressed. Furthermore, there's many who can't even speak English, again, because they're mainly working in the home and this itself acts as a barrier to getting access to jobs and so forth.

It's a sensitive issue, which probably won't get solved any time soon.

If you had read the article then you would find that it states that Muslim women with the same language skills and qualifications as their white Christian counterparts were included in the study and were much less likely to find employment. The study included graduates.
Additionally, unless the British Muslim female population authorised you to speak on our behalf, I would like ti correct you in that the vast majority of female Muslims wear the hijab willingly and out of devotion. People like you think we're silenced and don't have a voice, but if you take a step back, you'll see that it's ignorant people such as yourself that wish to unsuccessfully silence us. You don't get to put us in the "oppressed" box. Rather, if you are genuinely concerned, then why don't you try and actively look for a way to tackle Islamophobic and sexist discrimination in the work place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I probably know more about statistics and modelling than most people on TSR and I assure you that are totally wrong.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/04/03/why-people-with-no-religion-are-projected-to-decline-as-a-share-of-the-worlds-population/

"I probably know more about statistics and modelling than most people on TSR"

Yet you give me a link and expect to accept what's written in it at face value while completely ignoring the fact that it's a PREDICTION rather than actual truth.

Also, it's projections are gathered with people who "identify" with a certain belief. I've clearly made eloquent in my previous post about what religious beliefs have become and how they're much more lenient and liberal they've become.

Yet you give me a link and expect me to accept what's written in it at face value while completely ignoring the fact that it's a PREDICTION rather than actual truth.

Also, it's projections are gathered from people who "identify" with a certain belief. I've clearly made eloquent in my previous post about what religious beliefs have become and how they're much more lenient and liberal than the beliefs in the past.

Yet you give me a link and expect to accept what's written in it at face value while completely ignoring the fact that it's a PREDICTION rather than actual truth.

Also, it's projections are gathered with people who "identify" with a certain belief. I've clearly made eloquent in my previous post about what religious beliefs have become and how they're much more lenient and liberal they've become.

The West doesn't mean much because the West =/= the entire world and Westerners have massively declining brithrates
Original post by hudamh
If you had read the article then you would find that it states that Muslim women with the same language skills and qualifications as their white Christian counterparts were included in the study and were much less likely to find employment. The study included graduates.
Additionally, unless the British Muslim female population authorised you to speak on our behalf, I would like ti correct you in that the vast majority of female Muslims wear the hijab willingly and out of devotion. People like you think we're silenced and don't have a voice, but if you take a step back, you'll see that it's ignorant people such as yourself that wish to unsuccessfully silence us. You don't get to put us in the "oppressed" box. Rather, if you are genuinely concerned, then why don't you try and actively look for a way to tackle Islamophobic and sexist discrimination in the work place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2+2=5

No surprise they do if their culture preaches that.

Disgusting culture.

What's the p-value of that statement?

I bet it's real low, but that might just be me.
Original post by inhuman
What's the p-value of that statement?

I bet it's real low, but that might just be me.

Low p-values indicate high levels of evidence against the null hypothesis :smile:

If the null hypothesis is that I am an average statistician, then the p value against this is <0.001. Don't be too upset.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar
We are the most successful in the eyes of Allah

#rekt

Posted from TSR Mobile

swift retort. but then presumabley means also theres no point muslims trying to get a non-islamic higher education
Original post by hudamh
You don't get to put us in the "oppressed" box. Rather, if you are genuinely concerned, then why don't you try and actively look for a way to tackle Islamophobic and sexist discrimination in the work place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

true, rest of the world should follow example of a historic system where a woman isnt allowed to become a caliph ( leader) or even a sheikh or emir, rather should be locked in the home and only venture outdoors covered up, in case theres a risk of mixing with males. not exactly conducive to getting a uni education is it
Low p-values indicate high levels of evidence against the null hypothesis :smile:

If the null hypothesis is that I am an average statistician, then the p value against this is <0.001. Don't be too upset.

You just couldn't help yourself could you.

In a pathetic attempt to make me look wrong and you look right, you changed the hypothesis.

The statement that YOU MADE, was that you are a good statistician ("better than most on here"). That's very unlikely, hence a low p-value.

How does it feel to embarrass yourself so much?
The West doesn't mean much because the West =/= the entire world and Westerners have massively declining brithrates

"West doesn't mean much"

Their liberal philosophy will permeate all aspects of the globe through film, sports, books, even if there is a lower growth of offspring to do it.
Original post by hudamh

Posted from TSR Mobile

You refuse to accept that that many Muslim women are oppressed, yet you can't conjure up a credible reason as to why similarly qualified female Muslim graduates are less successful than their counterparts? I mean, you absolutely don't believe that the culture is shaped in such a way that Muslim women are suppose to be the house tenders and hence effectively be OPPRESSED.

Ladies and Gents, here is another example of how religion can induce delusion into a human mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending