The Student Room Group

FP1 Proof by induction of the standard result of r

When n=k

you sub in n for k

so you get

r=1kr=k2(k+1)\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^k r = \frac{k}{2} (k+1)

so when you use k+1 how would you do it?

so far i have

r=1k+1r=k+12(k+1+1)\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{k+1} r = \frac{k+1}{2} (k+1+1) ??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by huiop
When n=k

you sub in n for k

so you get

so far i have

r=1(k+1)r=k+12(k+1+1)\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^(k+1) r = \frac{k+1}{2} (k+1+1) ??

add the result for k and the (k+1) term together
Reply 2
Original post by xyz9856

so in this case (k/2)(k+1)+(k+1)
Reply 3
Do what Sigma k equals plus k+1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by xyz9856

This

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by xyz9856

so if i add the result for k then i have a 1 left right? but why add k+1 ???
Original post by xyz9856

ok so that's what you get when u do what you said....
Reply 6
THen add them together, and try and make it into what Sigma k+1 equals by factorising and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by huiop
so if i add the result for k then i have a 1 left right? but why add k+1 ???

ok so that's what you get when u do what you said....

you add k+1 because if the summation formulae is to k+1 then its the sum to k plus the (k+1)th term, if that makes sense
Reply 8
Original post by AdeptDz
THen add them together, and try and make it into what Sigma k+1 equals by factorising and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok ok i understand that i should add k+1 and when i do i can take out a factor of 0.5xk+1 and k+1+1
Reply 9
Original post by xyz9856
you add k+1 because if the summation formulae is to k+1 then its the sum to k plus the (k+1)th term, if that makes sense

and in this case the nth term is just r, so its k+1. If it was r^2+r+1 it would be sum to k + ((k+1)^2)+(k+1)+1
Original post by huiop
When n=k

you sub in n for k

so you get

so far i have

r=1k+1r=k+12(k+1+1)\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{k+1} r = \frac{k+1}{2} (k+1+1) ??

Prove that it now works for n=k+1

r=1k+1r=r=1kr+(k+1)=12k(k+1)+(k+1)=(k+1)[k2+1]=12(k+1)(k+2)=k+12([k+1]+1)\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{k+1} r = \sum_{r=1}^{k} r + (k+1) = \frac{1}{2}k(k+1) + (k+1) = (k+1)[\frac{k}{2}+1] = \frac{1}{2}(k+1)(k+2)=\frac{k+1}{2}([k+1]+1)

QED.
Reply 11
Original post by RDKGames
Prove that it now works for n=k+1

r=1k+1r=r=1kr+(k+1)=12k(k+1)+(k+1)=(k+1)[k2+1]=12(k+1)(k+2)=k+12([k+1]+1)\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{k+1} r = \sum_{r=1}^{k} r + (k+1) = \frac{1}{2}k(k+1) + (k+1) = (k+1)[\frac{k}{2}+1] = \frac{1}{2}(k+1)(k+2)=\frac{k+1}{2}([k+1]+1)

QED.

but shouldn't it be
r=1k+1r=r=1kr+r=11r\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{k+1} r = \sum_{r=1}^k r + \sum_{r=1}^1 r ???
Original post by huiop
but shouldn't it be
r=1k+1r=r=1kr+r=11r\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{k+1} r = \sum_{r=1}^k r + \sum_{r=1}^1 r ???

Of course not. That doesn't make sense. What you've shown says you are summing up integers from 1 up to k, and then adding an awkward 1 at the end.

You need to add the (k+1)th term of the sequence because you are showing it works for (1+2+3+4+5+...+k)+(k+1). Since you are summing up integers from 1, the (k+1)th term will simply be (k+1)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
With proof by induction you always have to use your assumption. In this case we are assuming that r=1nr=12n(n+1) \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n r = \frac{1}{2} n(n+1) . Using our assumption we have r=1n+1r=12n(n+1)+(n+1) \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{n+1} r = \frac{1}{2} n(n+1) + (n+1) .
The way induction works is you assume that it works for some natural number k k and show that it implies that it works for the next natural number k+1 k+1 . Then all you need to do is show that the result is indeed true for any value you pick and it completed the proof. Make sure you fully understand mathematical induction, I find that many people aren't convinced that it proves a result meaning that they do not properly understand it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by huiop
but shouldn't it be

If you DO wish to express it as two different sums then:

r=1k+1r=r=1kr+r=k+1k+1r\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{k+1} r = \sum_{r=1}^k r + \sum_{r=k+1}^{k+1} r

Notice the boundaries.
Reply 15
Of course not. That doesn't make sense. What you've shown says you are summing up integers from 1 up to k, and then adding an awkward 1 at the end.

You need to add the (k+1)th term of the sequence because you are showing it works for (1+2+3+4+5+...+k)+(k+1). Since you are summing up integers from 1, the (k+1)th term will simply be (k+1)

ok thanks
Original post by B_9710
With proof by induction you always have to use your assumption. In this case we are assuming that r=1nr=12n(n+1) \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n r = \frac{1}{2} n(n+1) . Using our assumption we have r=1n+1r=12n(n+1)+(n+1) \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{n+1} r = \frac{1}{2} n(n+1) + (n+1) .
The way induction works is you assume that it works for some natural number k k and show that it implies that it works for the next natural number k+1 k+1 . Then all you need to do is show that the result is indeed true for any value you pick and it completed the proof. Make sure you fully understand mathematical induction, I find that many people aren't convinced that it proves a result meaning that they do not properly understand it.

ah ok thanks i understand
If you DO wish to express it as two different sums then:

r=1k+1r=r=1kr+r=k+1k+1r\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{k+1} r = \sum_{r=1}^k r + \sum_{r=k+1}^{k+1} r

Notice the boundaries.

Reply 16
Original post by B_9710

So is there anything i need to do to finalise the proof or does "therefore true for k+1 suffice"?
Original post by huiop
So is there anything i need to do to finalise the proof or does "therefore true for k+1 suffice"?

You usually need a final sentence saying:

The result is true for n=1; therefore true for n=2,3,4,... by induction. QED.

(QED is optional :smile:)
Reply 18
Original post by huiop

Just round it all off by saying something like result true for n=k+1 n=k+1 if true for n=k,kN n=k, k\in \mathbb{N} , result true for n=1  n=1 \ \therefore true n,nN \forall n, n\in \mathbb{N} .
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
You usually need a final sentence saying:

The result is true for n=1; therefore true for n=2,3,4,... by induction. QED.

(QED is optional :smile:)

ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest