The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clairebear101
Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 18.17.19.jpgwould u say that most ukcat VR passages are as big as this in the real thing??

Some of those on medify are quite big - i have to agree with that. You might get one or two like that, but most will be much shorter.
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Some of those on medify are quite big - i have to agree with that. You might get one or two like that, but most will be much shorter.

have you done the ukcat
Does anyone have any tips/advice to boost my score? I use medify and the '1000 questions' book but my score won't go above 600. I'm really worried.
Original post by Pra99
How are people finding the Kaplan online VR quizzes?

They're okay, I don't like the time limit for them as such (I could do with a minute extra!) I tend to range from 63-66% which is quite alright with me to be honest! I think the actual VR will be harder than these.

I love how with eMedica the excersises suddenly go from manageable to horrific all of a sudden XD Went from 650 to 450 with VR, 850 to 780 with QR and 780 to 650 with AR!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by natalia.medicine
Does anyone have any tips/advice to boost my score? I use medify and the '1000 questions' book but my score won't go above 600. I'm really worried.

Kaplan is good but expensive and you get 6 mock papers to practice from. Medic Portal is decent, cheap but the questions are kinda mean and the mocks are just recycled practice questions that you will have already done.
Original post by clairebear101
Im sorry but you know full well that that is a very good score, people just come on hear to brag. It just puts people down.

To be fair, it's quite daunting to see 80% of members here with 750+ averages so I don't blame him if he thought his wasn't great!

Hi natalia.medicine

Firstly, don't panic!

When is your test booked for?

If you let me know what in particular you are finding difficult then I can try and give you some tips for improving.

Let me know... Always happy to help.

UniAdmissions
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi natalia.medicine

Firstly, don't panic!

When is your test booked for?

If you let me know what in particular you are finding difficult then I can try and give you some tips for improving.

Let me know... Always happy to help.

UniAdmissions

Hello,

Thank you so much. My test is booked for the 19th of August.
Original post by Gogregg
I think your score would definitely be good enough :smile:
There's a score calculator for Birmingham which you can use ( you get it from their website) and you can work out your score using Leicester's admission document, and then make a more informed decision for yourself based on your score. I don't know much about Barts, but your score is quite high, so i wouldn't be too concerned about it for most other unis if it comes to that :h:

It would depend on the averages. If you were to be high enough, you would probably be on the low side of the cut-off (if they have one, which i think they do, but i might be wrong). I think kings look at multiple aspects of your application and i think it balances out, but you'd be better looking at their website for yourself and looking at their past cut offs. We can't do the research for you, that's something you'll have to do yourself.

Hello thanks for the reply! I've looked at the score calculators. For Birmingham mine is 7.75 out of 9; Leicester is 43 out of 48. Hopefully, these will be enough.
Anyways, how has your ukcat gone/going ? Where are you planning to apply?
Hello,

Thank you so much. My test is booked for the 19th of August.

You're welcome.

Ok, so you still have time. Is there are particular section that you are finding hard?

UniAdmissions
You're welcome.

Ok, so you still have time. Is there are particular section that you are finding hard?

UniAdmissions

I would say mostly Quantitative Reasoning although sometimes I don't do as well in Verbal Reasoning as well. I have attached a picture of the scores from the mocks I have done so far. My scores tend to fluctuate.
Photo on 11-08-16 at 21.07 #3.jpg
Original post by studentsixth
They're okay, I don't like the time limit for them as such (I could do with a minute extra!) I tend to range from 63-66% which is quite alright with me to be honest! I think the actual VR will be harder than these.

I love how with eMedica the excersises suddenly go from manageable to horrific all of a sudden XD Went from 650 to 450 with VR, 850 to 780 with QR and 780 to 650 with AR!

Are you getting 63-66% for all the sub tests?
Reply 1812
Are the QR questions on the UKCAT mocks more representative of the real thing than the Medify questions?Also, the passages on UKCAT Mock seem quite a bit shorter co,pared to the medify ones??Any feedback greatly appreciated :smile:
I would say mostly Quantitative Reasoning although sometimes I don't do as well in Verbal Reasoning as well. I have attached a picture of the scores from the mocks I have done so far. My scores tend to fluctuate.
Photo on 11-08-16 at 21.07 #3.jpg

Ok, so for VR, read the question before the passage as this focuses your reading.
Make sure you work through at a steady, even pace (30 seconds per questions) and look out for “extreme” words (always, never, extremely, proven etc.) as these words often give you the answer. Also, remember that “true” and “false” don’t have to be exact word-for-word matches. If the meaning is the same that is enough.

With AR, use a system to identify patterns. We recommend NSPCC : first look at number count everything you see: sides, shapes, angles, circles, arrows etc. Then look at patterns with size (big v small), position (corner or centre of box), colour (be careful this is often a distractor) and conformation (the relationship between different shape positions) respectively. Spend most of the time deducing the rule, then answer the questions quickly.

Give that a go tomorrow and hopefully that will help. Let me know how you get on.

UniAdmissions
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok, so for QR, read the question before the passage as this focuses your reading.
Make sure you work through at a steady, even pace (30 seconds per questions) and look out for “extreme” words (always, never, extremely, proven etc.) as these words often give you the answer. Also, remember that “true” and “false” don’t have to be exact word-for-word matches. If the meaning is the same that is enough.

With VR, use a system to identify patterns. We recommend NSPCC : first look at number count everything you see: sides, shapes, angles, circles, arrows etc. Then look at patterns with size (big v small), position (corner or centre of box), colour (be careful this is often a distractor) and conformation (the relationship between different shape positions) respectively. Spend most of the time deducing the rule, then answer the questions quickly.

Give that a go tomorrow and hopefully that will help. Let me know how you get on.

UniAdmissions

I think you may have gotten the second part a bit mixed up :h:
Ok, so for QR, read the question before the passage as this focuses your reading.

With VR, use a system to identify patterns. We recommend NSPCC : first look at number count everything you see: sides, shapes, angles, circles, arrows etc. Then look at patterns with size (big v small), position (corner or centre of box), colour (be careful this is often a distractor) and conformation (the relationship between different shape positions) respectively. Spend most of the time deducing the rule, then answer the questions quickly.

UniAdmissions

Thank you so much!! I definitely will.
To all those who have just done the ukcat:

How do questions from medify, the 1000 ukcat book and official UKCAT mocks compare to the real thing? Are they easier/harder? Is there anything in particular we should take note of (i.e the passages are longer in the real thing than medify etc.) :smile:
Original post by JustWondering98

How do questions from medify, the 1000 ukcat book and official UKCAT mocks compare to the real thing? Are they easier/harder? Is there anything in particular we should take note of (i.e the passages are longer in the real thing than medify etc.) :smile:

I sat the test today. hate the 1000 ukcat book, I really think it overestimates the difficulty on AR and QR. Medify is God's gift to medics ( and dentists and vets) its just soooo good, AR and QR were at the same level. In situational judgement the texts were longer in my actual exam but the difficulty was the same, I actually got band 1 wich i had never got in mocks before.

The official UKCAT mock QR are ridiculously long, I didn't get one question that long Although I got questions that were harder than Medify IMO my friend who was apprehensive about QR actually did really well in it so dont take the UKCAT mocks as Gospel, or even a Psalm cos its not accurate for that. AR and SJ were fine though. What got me on QR was the wording of the questions, I tended to read it too fast and then miss out a key word like ' not' or I would assume I had to work out the percentage when the answers were only values.

However, nothing could've prepared me for VR today :frown: . I went in there expecting to have a mix of 'true false cant tell' and the longer ones. But lo and behold, i got TWO 'true false cant tell' and the rest were the longer ones it was ridiculous I was so annoyed since VR was normally my best. Just be ready for that. I ended up getting 640 770 800 B1 in VR QR AR ST respectively but VR really let me down :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Moodicrus
I sat the test today. hate the 1000 ukcat book, I really think it overestimates the difficulty on AR and QR. Medify is God's gift to medics ( and dentists and vets) its just soooo good, AR and QR were at the same level. In situational judgement the texts were longer in my actual exam but the difficulty was the same, I actually got band 1 wich i had never got in mocks before.

The official UKCAT mock QR are ridiculously long, I didn't get one question that long Although I got questions that were harder than Medify IMO my friend who was apprehensive about QR actually did really well in it so dont take the UKCAT mocks as Gospel, or even a Psalm cos its not accurate for that. AR and SJ were fine though. What got me on QR was the wording of the questions, I tended to read it too fast and then miss out a key word like ' not' or I would assume I had to work out the percentage when the answers were only values.

However, nothing could've prepared me for VR today :frown: . I went in there expecting to have a mix of 'true false cant tell' and the longer ones. But lo and behold, i got TWO 'true false cant tell' and the rest were the longer ones it was ridiculous I was so annoyed since VR was normally my best. Just be ready for that. I ended up getting 640 770 800 B1 in VR QR AR ST respectively but VR really let me down :frown:

Congratulations on your score, it's amazing! :biggrin:
Couldn't agree more about the 1000 Qs book, though.
Original post by JustWondering98

From my experience medify is by far the closest to the real thing, QR and AR are pretty much identical in difficulty to the real thing, VR is easier on medify because in the real thing you seem to get more passages than true/false/cant tell questions.
I always felt the official UKCAT mocks are more difficult in QR and AR and the same for VR to the real thing.
1000Q book in my opinion is not worthwhile (if its anything like the 600q book) as its just to hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending